Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
briankindsvater

Just Made 41 Cents

7 posts in this topic

I have a Kindle book and just made 41 cents because someone read 82 pages of my book. Half-a-cent per read page.

Is that good or bad? It's at least interesting.

The details ...

Published a Kindle book on Amazon and let it be part of the Kindle Select program.

This means if someone has the Kindle Unlimited subscription program (customer gets to read an unlimited number of Kindle books for a subscription price each month), Amazon make a fund from the subscription payments which is divvied up between everyone's books who are read and how many pages are read.

So now you know - it's about a half cent per page royalty if you want to allow that option.

Example:

You have 3 books, each 50 pages, and each read 2 times. That is a total of 300 pages or $1.50 in payments.

The question is whether you want to allow your books to be part of the Unlimited program, or if customers have to buy the book to read it.

Jill Carpenter, Terra and Art Moran like this

I'm not an expert on Kindle or Kindle Books or Kindle programs for that matter, but I'm thinking this would work out well if someone has a series of books, perhaps to get exposure and then a following.

Allow the first in the series to be eligible for Kindle Select but have all the rest of the series not available to be read for free.

Does one's books stay free to read with Kindle Select always and forever? If so, then I don't believe it would be all that great for a person with just one book unless they were testing to see how well their writing style is received before spending more time and money on continuing writing.

Just brainstorming with my fingers here, lol!

Terra

Does one's books stay free to read with Kindle Select always and forever?

No. I believe it is a 3 month period. You can set your book to autorenew in the program every 3 months. You can cancel at any time - with the cancellation effective at the end of the current 3 month period.

Terra likes this

As I just joined Kindle Unlimited and read my first book today, I was wondering "How the authors received any benefit from me reading a free book?" - and now I know!

Truth be told, I read like 10 pages, but Daniel Levis's book "Email Alchemist" actually had a free audio URL link along side the cover page, which I thought was brilliant for 2 reasons...

1.) Being that I was busy online and really couldn't read, write, and multitask - I clicked the link for the audio version, and quickly joined his email list (opt-in) to access the audio player file. I think his approach to add me to his list was ingenious...after all, I wanted to see what he does with his email headlines, body message, links, etc... after all, he is an email & copywriter known for his $5k Email Alchemy templates and training program.

2.) The convenience of listening to the book enabled me to still work, although admittedly, I was at times ignoring the audio book as I wrote a portion of a free report on a totally different niche market that I am working on, and was scanning through 12 or 13 open browser tabs filtering content and researching.

Heck, I already absorbed a good deal of what he was saying in his book, and although I felt lazy not reading the 97 pages... I figure my subconscious likely digested some, and when time permits, I'll still read it just to ingrain it in my brain.

Point being, .41 cents + exposure is great!

However, if you can, I'd consider doing an audio file or voice over version and publish the audio URL link on the Kindle book cover page as option B, and try to get people to opt-in to your list to access the audio book version. Clearly, having people on your email list will enable you to communicate with them for feedback, future book releases, and could ramp up your direct sales (*and earnings) if ever you should host your own book sales on say... your own website or on a platform like JVzoo, etc.

Now that I know, he'll get paid for me reading it, I'll revisit the book and do a quick read through to catch anything I missed on the audio book version.

No. I believe it is a 3 month period. You can set your book to autorenew in the program every 3 months. You can cancel at any time - with the cancellation effective at the end of the current 3 month period.

That's what they said.  I found mine stuck on "free read" months after I had presumed it was supposed to be taken off. I never got anything for people reading it free, and lost a lot of buyers reading free. 

Terra is right, I think - if you have a book that will be a freebie as an intro to a series or some such anyway, it's probably a good way to go.  If you actually want to make money - I'd stay off of Amazon completely. Their commission is about twice what everyone else's is.   My ebook on there is about 24 hours from being pulled off.  I'm putting it on Lulu - same type of thing, publish, distribution, yadda, yadda. 

Terra likes this

I only use Kindle books & reports as pre-qualifiers and tripwires. They are NOT for making money. They are for educating my audience and getting them ready for a call with me.

Claude knows a lot more about actually making money with Kindle books than anyone else I know.

Tim Castleman put out a quick product based on his research last year on what category and what length was best. That's one approach. You really want to create a series, so people can buy more from you. Having just one book is not enough.

Kindle Select and the free giveaway works for me because I don't give a darn about making a cent from those books. I care that they get into the hands of more qualified prospects.

Up to 82 cents aka DOUBLED MY MONEY!

I'm thinking a good Kindle Select strategy would be to have whatever is most valuable in your ebook at the end. At the beginning make sure readers know it is at the end so they will scroll to the end to read it.  Who cares if they read what is in the middle.

Maybe a freebie.  Whatever it is - put it at the end and make sure the reader quickly knows they need to check it outl

ShayR likes this