David Beroff

Tech Nerds Wanted for 1- to 5-day gigs

4 posts in this topic

First caveat: This is absolutely a show-up-physically job; it can not be done remotely, (much as I would love that to not be the case)!!

The client has several hundred offices across the US, primarily east of the Mississippi River, but also in/near most major population centers west of that.

The gig itself involves upgrading several thousand computers to the client's exact specifications, using a 20-page procedure.  It takes around an hour or two per computer, but a tech typically upgrades four machines simultaneously, constantly rotating through them as each requires human attention.  (We try to use long tables and office chairs with wheels; seriously.)

Smaller offices might take a day of work; the largest ones take closer to a week.  Exact schedules are set around a week in advance.  This not an ongoing thing; the intent is to visit each office only once.  (Sometimes a return visit might be required.)  Try as I could, there seem to be way too many moving parts to be able to bunch offices geographically, which prevents the ability to fly out to a region and cover a small set all in the same week or whatever.  Thus the need for local boots on the ground.

In a perfect world, no real tech background would be needed; the job truly is "click here, wait eight minutes, type this, click there, etc.".  The written procedure already has resolutions for what to do when certain well-known things go wrong.  The problem is that one still needs some basic problem-solving skills when unanticipated events occur, (and they do, regularly, as each machine is ever-so-slightly different).  You can't be scared of installing a Windows 7 printer driver or editing a config file manually with Notepad or using a USB flash drive if you need files when the network connection fails.  No hardware skills are required.  Yes, there will be a phone number to call for help, but it's really better if you don't need to use it.

Pay will be around $15 to $20 an hour; travel (and/or lodging) is not covered.  Again, the hope is to use local people, so as to keep the compensation fair.  The plan is to complete the entire upgrade by the end of January.  I can't guarantee any specific availability yet, but if you're interested, please send a very brief email to me (David at Beroff dot com) with a subject line of "Migration near" followed by the name of your city and state.  If you want to follow that with the name of the nearest well-known city in parentheses, that will help me spot your email in the list more quickly.  e.g., If I were doing this, the Subject line would appear as "Migration near Wyoming, PA (Scranton)".

Thank you.

ShayB likes this

So is Florida out of the picture?

To the contrary; there are nine offices, primarily hugging both coasts.  I think they're actually rolling with Florida next week, so send me an email now, and I'll see what I can do.  You ok with the tech side?

This is still an active pursuit.  Coming up in the next few weeks are Washington and Massachusetts.  Please let me know if you are interested, anywhere in the US.  Thank you.