Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShayB

30 Day Challenge - January (and also February) 2017 - Product Creation

34 posts in this topic

This will start on January 1st (or 2nd, whatevs. ;) ).

January's 30 Day Challenge will be a Product Creation Challenge. It can be a PDF, physical book, e-book, videos, or whatever you'd like. 

It can be something for sale, or it can be a freebie to build a list.

I'm going to post my thoughts/mind-map-ish-type stuff/process, and I encourage you to do the same. I'll also be posting how much time I put into the project. Be sure to schedule Rest Days (I try to have at least 4 in a month.)

Now, to give you a hint about what you might want to create, here is a peek at February's Challenge: networking.

So, you might create a product and then use February to find affiliates.

Or you might create a book to use as a door opener for small businesses.

Or you might look for a freebie that other people can give away to their list to help you build yours.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you all do. :) 

Khemosabi and dwolfe like this

My product is a Hotsheet. (Big surprise. 😆) 

I'm running a case study in the 30 days, keeping track of my results. 

It's for people who are looking to write for local businesses as a freelancer. :)

Khemosabi and MikeTucker like this

I'm torn between two right now. I've been putting together some content for a basic Google Analytics overview. There is some basic functionality in GA that I have found a lot of people are not aware of or not using. Even simple things like setting up goals to track. It would be either a PDF or a series of videos... or maybe a little of both.

Second idea I have had in my mind for 2 years. I was originally going to put together a course on Google AdWords. I backed out of it, mostly because they keep changing things constantly. I was putting together videos, but they would be quickly outdated because of the constant changes and updates to the interface alone, much less the features they keep adding. A smaller idea was putting together a list of ways to make an AdWords campaign more efficient. There are some common errors that many people running campaigns make and some tactics and strategies they could be using to cut costs while boosting conversions. 

I like the second idea better, but even with all of the material I have already, I feel like it might be bigger than a 30-day project.

Ugh, the agony of committing to something. Lol

ShayB, MikeTucker and Khemosabi like this

Honestly out of those two I would think there would be more demand for the PPC one, but target it to small business owners. I didn't do my homework on this, just making a suggestion.

But I've encountered multiple small businesses that should be doing PPC but they are not, simply because they are too busy to try to learn the ropes.

Mike Friedman and ShayB like this

24 minutes ago, mki said:

Honestly out of those two I would think there would be more demand for the PPC one, but target it to small business owners. I didn't do my homework on this, just making a suggestion.

But I've encountered multiple small businesses that should be doing PPC but they are not, simply because they are too busy to try to learn the ropes.

Yes it would primarily be targeted at business owners as a lead generation tool to get PPC clients. It would also benefit IM'ers though too.

5 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

a course on Google AdWords.

Those top two spots of a Google search are still advertisements, right?  I would be interested in knowing how to buy those, if it can be explained in a way I could understand...  I have some AdWord books I bought from Barnes & Nobles a few years ago but they seem complicated (and certainly out-dated!)

...I keep saying I'm going to learn all the technical stuff... But then it turns out to be work, my eyes glaze over, and I just pay someone else to do it!  :rolleyes:

Terra and ShayB like this

On 1/6/2017 at 2:31 PM, Mike Friedman said:

Of course everyone votes for the more difficult one. ;)

That is actually where I was leaning too.

Of course! :D 

My update:

Honestly, between this cold I am fighting and just trying to adjust to a few things in life, I haven't made much progress. I have notes, but nothing written (typed) for the project itself.

I find this to be a problem (not really the right word) for me: so much of what I want to write is in my head. It doesn't take me long to write it out, but I do a lot of thinking beforehand. TBH, I probably won't actually write anything until the last few days. Most of what I'll be doing is the case study action part, keeping notes, then typing everything up in the last few days of the Challenge.

Not very exciting, I know. :D 

I am going against the consensus. I'm writing a quick tip sheet about citations and local SEO.

Part of my plan for 2017 was to redesign, re-imagine, clean out, and combine my old blog TheSEOPub.com with my business website TheSEOPub.net. They both were ugly as hell and in need of a makeover, and I decided to just throw them into one site at TheSEOPub.com. I'm on my 3rd attempt.

So despite the value the AdWords idea might have, the local SEO guide is going to be a better lead generator for this site right now and is something I can implement right away. I will come back to the AdWords project though.

I have a couple of pages written so far. Hoping to have it done in the next week, and then start sprucing it up with some graphics and maybe real-life examples and tie-ins.

Cannot believe half the month is over already.

Khemosabi and ShayB like this

On 1/16/2017 at 3:33 PM, Mike Friedman said:

I am going against the consensus. I'm writing a quick tip sheet about citations and local SEO.

Part of my plan for 2017 was to redesign, re-imagine, clean out, and combine my old blog TheSEOPub.com with my business website TheSEOPub.net. They both were ugly as hell and in need of a makeover, and I decided to just throw them into one site at TheSEOPub.com. I'm on my 3rd attempt.

So despite the value the AdWords idea might have, the local SEO guide is going to be a better lead generator for this site right now and is something I can implement right away. I will come back to the AdWords project though.

I have a couple of pages written so far. Hoping to have it done in the next week, and then start sprucing it up with some graphics and maybe real-life examples and tie-ins.

Cannot believe half the month is over already.

Love the local SEO guide idea. And having a quick project isn't a bad idea. :)

I can't believe it's halfway into January, either. Time is flying by. :huh:

I'm making slow progress on my Hotsheet. Stupid RL issues keep getting in the way. :angry:

I always love case studies. I always think they are going to go one way, and my predictions are sometimes off. :D

Getting into the final days of the Case Study part, then working on writing everything up. Exciting! :) 

I have been following along with this challege watching what has been going on.  I have been putting something together since this past  November.  It has been slow going but since this challege is on, I have privately been working away. I was getting a product made and a website built. Custom design labels were shipped to me earlier this month. The product is lip balm balm that I purchased from Bulk Appthecary.  I label several lip balms and then listed it on e-bay. So far no sale after 2 weeks running an auction. It automatically relisted after the first week. Today the second week ended with no sale. I went in to ebay's dash board and added a photo and lowered a price to get a sale this afternoon. Using e-bay to get a few testimonals for the web-site if it sales. I only listed one item in the auction style setting. Once the changes were made I started another listing as a classified. It features a 3-pack at a different price point and added some copy from website to track different methods. 

The web-site I had built  is not live currently. I did not want to list it in the search engine as I needed changes. I just spent a few hours adding plugins and writing a welcome page. I also just finished a e-mail to the website designer, asking to make 2 simple changes then turn the site live.  The first change is the checkout cart had the wrong currency listed. The second minor one is the heading shows to different size sentences running together.

The orginal idea behind the site was try to practice copywriting, to see if I can sell my own product. This idea came from a post Gordon Alexander made in another forum.  

The site is very basic a wordpress site with a paypal button. This is also the first time using Stablehost account I purchase through a link here on Spartanmaketing academy. knowing it is late in this challenge. Shay's challenge helped me get a site finished and live, hopefully I can get a sale before it is over ! 

In the past few years I have had other small projects make sales here and there. This year I want to make things different.  

MikeTucker, Terra and Mike Friedman like this

Just some last minute polishing and I am done.

On top of that, I also ended up working on the AdWords guide I mentioned. It's not finished, but likely will be in the next 5-7 days.

Terra, Khemosabi and dwolfe like this

6 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

Just some last minute polishing and I am done.

On top of that, I also ended up working on the AdWords guide I mentioned. It's not finished, but likely will be in the next 5-7 days.

I'm anxious about the citations Mike!  I know a bit about them, and have been implementing, learning as I go, but I have also learned a few "tricks" along the way. 

Your AdWords guide is something I will definitely look for.  I know zero about it and have spent way too much time avoiding it.  

5 minutes ago, Khemosabi said:

I'm anxious about the citations Mike!  I know a bit about them, and have been implementing, learning as I go, but I have also learned a few "tricks" along the way. 

Your AdWords guide is something I will definitely look for.  I know zero about it and have spent way too much time avoiding it.  

I shouldn't call it an AdWords guide. It's more of a "here are a few things you are probably doing wrong or could do better to make your AdWords campaign more profitable" PDF. 

If you have never run an AdWords campaign, it is not going to take you from A to B at all. 

If you are brand new to AdWords and want to get started/learn more, I would recommend Perry Marshall's Ultimate Guide To AdWords. There is no better book on the planet for learning AdWords that I am aware of.

Khemosabi likes this

Well, my 30 day challenge is down to ... today.  LOL.  As if that's going to happen! 

But, I did make a 30 challenge for myself.  I have been really pushing myself to get these projects and plans off my desk and into something that could/should be amazing.  Nope, I won't be finished today, but the "pushing myself" thing has been quite the learning lesson and also, very beneficial.  I find that when I do push myself, I feel better, have more energy... and so on.  I also discovered something about myself.  I have a huge, HUGE, mental block when it comes to starting.  It really is a struggle.

ShayB likes this

I really didn't make a 30 day challenge, but perhaps I should have, lol!

Wait, maybe not. Okay, I sound like I'm arguing with myself, haha! Let me explain.

I did get a couple of logos and a banner for my new business partnership done in working with my son. Let me be specific here, he created them from my idea. We worked together on them, they went from my mind's eye into his and from his to his expert hands and into his Photoshop. 

So I created something in my head and successfully conveyed it, but I didn't "create" it physically. Anyway, it fit into what I plan on doing differently this year. ;)

Terra

ShayB and Khemosabi like this

13 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

I shouldn't call it an AdWords guide. It's more of a "here are a few things you are probably doing wrong or could do better to make your AdWords campaign more profitable" PDF. 

If you have never run an AdWords campaign, it is not going to take you from A to B at all. 

If you are brand new to AdWords and want to get started/learn more, I would recommend Perry Marshall's Ultimate Guide To AdWords. There is no better book on the planet for learning AdWords that I am aware of.

Thanks Mike!  I'll check that out when I'm ready to really tackle AdWords. :)  Doesn't mean that I won't look forward to your guide, too, ya know!

ShayB likes this

My 30 Day Challenge went really well, all things considered (see the OT for more on that). I think that I'm going to continue my Case Study another 30 days. I'm intrigued as to how it is going to go. The results are different than what I'd thought they'd be. :huh:

Mike Friedman likes this

This is now a 30 x 2 Day Challenge. :D

My problem is I strayed from my own formula. Test out one thing for 30 days. But I am doing 3 things: new CRM system (first one I've used), and 2 aspects to the Case Study. The learning curve for the CRM is throwing me off. Should have had that as a 30 Day Challenge all on its own. :blink:

dwolfe likes this

I can tell this is going to be a pretty involved Hotsheet. :D

I'm enjoying this project, though. Plus I have a lot less "stuff" going on, so I can focus more.

This will be a nice product once it's done. I like it. :) 

So. A few things.

1. Setting up the CRM and seeing how many tasks are pretty routine, I have finally ventured into outsourcing a task. I can totally see how this could blossom into more tasks being handed over, but I am taking baby steps for the moment. 

As I was on a train heading out to dinner with my kiddos, I had someone else working on calls for me. He was texting me about the results he was getting (because he was excited LOL), and it hit me: this is what having a "real business" is about. You're not doing it all yourself. You make money even when you're not the one doing the work.

It was quite eye-opening.

2. This biz model is even easier and more fun than I thought. Seriously, I will be shifting into doing more of it. I'm loving it. It's similar to what I've done before, but I found the one piece that I was missing. (Which is why I do these challenges. :) )

3. I'm looking forward to writing this up. I think it'll make an awesome Hotsheet. :) 

Khemosabi, perryny and Terra like this