Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShayB

30 Day Challenge - January (and also February) 2017 - Product Creation

34 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

If the challenge is still going on, I'd like to hop in. I wasn't ready last month, but I am now, as I see my finish line approaching.

I'm building an app. I started working on it about 2 1/2 years ago.

Phase 1 is to build a working prototype. I think I'm almost done with Phase 1 (hence, this post).

Phase 2 is to assemble a team of a writer, a designer and a developer to build my app and post an MVP (minimum viable product) to the marketplace.

Phase 3 is whatever happens once my product is out in the world and people are downloading it (or not). Not ready or interested in thinking about Phase 3 yet.

The reason I spent so much time on Phase 1 - building my prototype is because I'm slow as shit, and because I want to spend as little time and money as possible on Phase 2 - hiring people and getting the app made. The better I can explain exactly what I want (which took me plenty of time to figure out myself), the smoother things should go.

But I know historically how terribly I suck at explaining to people what I want, so I set out to make my prototype to do all the explaining for me. If I've done a good job with the prototype, there should be no question by anyone checking it out who the app is for, what it does, what it should look like or how it will work.

So, my goal for this challenge is to have my prototype completed by Sunday, Feb. 19th. 

I'm going to show it to whoever is willing to have a look (I'll post here where appropriate, and elsewhere) and try to obtain feedback from 20 potential users.

I'll use that feedback to polish up the prototype and then beginning March 1, I'll work to find a writer, a designer and a developer. (David, you still out there?)

I'd like to set a goal date of April 15, 2017 to have my app available in the marketplace, for all the world to experience.

Realistic? No idea. But I'm certainly ready to give it my best shot.

See y'all in about a week with something cool to show you.

Hi again, Fam,

Mission accomplished. My prototype is complete. Well, complete enough where hopefully it's good enough to have fresh eyes take a look at it and maybe offer some opinions. Because I've been looking at this for so long now, I've lost all perspective.

So, what I've created here is a prototype for an app called Project Time Machines. It's an app designed to help you complete your projects.

If you choose to have a look, please understand, despite this being 2 1/2 years in the works, what you are now seeing is essentially a first draft. None of the features work. I'm sure there are still loads of broken links. It will be largely rewritten. The design in the next (working) version will be completely different.

The purpose of this prototype is so I can give it to the people who will be writing, designing and building this app and they will start with a good understand what I'd like accomplished.

I'm hoping before I take this next step, I could have you guys take a look and give me my first bit of feedback.

Basically, what I'd love to know is:

1. Is it clear who this app is for?

2. Do you understand what the app does and how it works?

3. If you consider yourself to be a target user for this app, do you think you would try it?

Any thoughts, opinions, critiques, suggestions, advice is appreciated.

If you have either an Android or iPhone, I would really appreciate you installing the prototype as an app from the following link, if you could. I've found the experience to be smoothest and best when it's installed this way. 

Android Download

iOS Download

If you don't have a smartphone, or prefer to view it on your computer, you can do so here

Thanks again for starting this challenge. It lit a fire under my arse, and I'm making real progress.

Best!

-Rob Perry

dwolfe and ShayB like this

On 2/20/2017 at 0:02 AM, perryny said:

Hi again, Fam,

Mission accomplished. My prototype is complete. Well, complete enough where hopefully it's good enough to have fresh eyes take a look at it and maybe offer some opinions. Because I've been looking at this for so long now, I've lost all perspective.

So, what I've created here is a prototype for an app called Project Time Machines. It's an app designed to help you complete your projects.

If you choose to have a look, please understand, despite this being 2 1/2 years in the works, what you are now seeing is essentially a first draft. None of the features work. I'm sure there are still loads of broken links. It will be largely rewritten. The design in the next (working) version will be completely different.

The purpose of this prototype is so I can give it to the people who will be writing, designing and building this app and they will start with a good understand what I'd like accomplished.

I'm hoping before I take this next step, I could have you guys take a look and give me my first bit of feedback.

Basically, what I'd love to know is:

1. Is it clear who this app is for?

2. Do you understand what the app does and how it works?

3. If you consider yourself to be a target user for this app, do you think you would try it?

Any thoughts, opinions, critiques, suggestions, advice is appreciated.

If you have either an Android or iPhone, I would really appreciate you installing the prototype as an app from the following link, if you could. I've found the experience to be smoothest and best when it's installed this way. 

Android Download

iOS Download

If you don't have a smartphone, or prefer to view it on your computer, you can do so here

Thanks again for starting this challenge. It lit a fire under my arse, and I'm making real progress.

Best!

-Rob Perry

That's the main reason why I do these challenges! It gives a reason to do something that we've been putting off, and there's accountability, too.

I will be trying out your app soon!

Since this is a short month, I'm giving the deadline as Friday, March 3rd, for the end date for this Challenge.

I'll be posting a new Challenge on March 1st. It's different than what I thought it would be, inspired by HeySal. :) 

New challenge posted, and I'm finishing up my product for this one tomorrow. :) 

Since the 30 Challenge has ended here are the results. Currently I have listed items in both Auction and Fixed price settings.  I have upped the price to test what traffic is willing to pay. E-bay has a setting to donate a % to your favorite charity. I used this setting when I upped the price. I wanted to see if this helps any. So far these prices have been up for close to three weeks. No sales yet.  

The web-site went live and it is time to send paid traffic, hopefully for a sale or two before the season ends. On the positive sold a 3 pack, and 2 individual items. I only got one review out of three. Looking forward now that the challege is over. I will continue to test and see what happens over the next few weeks. 

ShayB and Terra like this

3 hours ago, dwolfe said:

Since the 30 Challenge has ended here are the results. Currently I have listed items in both Auction and Fixed price settings.  I have upped the price to test what traffic is willing to pay. E-bay has a setting to donate a % to your favorite charity. I used this setting when I upped the price. I wanted to see if this helps any. So far these prices have been up for close to three weeks. No sales yet.  

The web-site went live and it is time to send paid traffic, hopefully for a sale or two before the season ends. On the positive sold a 3 pack, and 2 individual items. I only got one review out of three. Looking forward now that the challege is over. I will continue to test and see what happens over the next few weeks. 

Hey d,

Do you have a link to your website we can check out?

I'm not sure ebay is the best place to try getting your initial sales. I use ebay pretty frequently as a buyer (and an occasional seller - it is a fun place to practice your sales writing), but when I go there to buy, I'm going there to buy (not shop), almost always for something specific. It's hard for me to imagine many people turning to ebay when they're in need of lip balm (unless maybe they're looking for a specific brand, or bulk).

I think you'll have better luck trying to drive traffic to your site, where you can then sell your visitor on why your lip balm is the one to buy.

However you go at it, keep going at it! Keep us posted, and good luck!

-Rob

dwolfe likes this

17 hours ago, perryny said:

Hey d,

Do you have a link to your website we can check out?

I think you'll have better luck trying to drive traffic to your site, where you can then sell your visitor on why your lip balm is the one to buy.

However you go at it, keep going at it! Keep us posted, and good luck!

-Rob

Here is the link to the site - http://skiersedgelipbalm.com/welcome-page/  I locked my self out of the login and had to contact the web-builder. I wanted to make 1-2 changes before sending paid traffic to it.  It is 2 pages for now and may add more in the future.  Any suggestions are welcomed. It will take me about a day or 2 to here back from the web builder since he located half way around the globe.  I spent part of this morning making an esty page and will see if it sticks. The other thing I was thinking of was using Pinterest and linking to my website site.  

Another note - I like your App !