Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Friedman

Someone got their network busted

15 posts in this topic

I've used this website as an example before about ranking a page without the exact search term showing up on the webpage anywhere.

http://spartanmarketingacademy.com/forums/topic/2936-the-optimal-way-to-use-anchor-text-these-days/?do=findComment&comment=36157

It is for the site https://www.gregoryortiz.com/.

It used to be #1 in Google for SEO New York, even though that term does not show up on the page. Actually, this exact URL was  https://www.gregoryortiz.com/seo/new-york-city/.

Pretty competitive market. Extremely competitive.

Well, I'm sure his competitors did not appreciate him ranking there using a private network. I figured it would fall eventually. 

I cannot find him anywhere in the top 100 now. 

Granted, he has probably made money hand over fist with that ranking while he had it.

It's why I really would not use a traditional private network to rank for SEO terms though. Your competitors are definitely going to out you. They are SEOs for crying out loud. You either need to build amazing sites for your network, or build things like directories that look completely normal.

1 hour ago, Mike Friedman said:

I've used this website as an example before about ranking a page without the exact search term showing up on the webpage anywhere.

http://spartanmarketingacademy.com/forums/topic/2936-the-optimal-way-to-use-anchor-text-these-days/?do=findComment&comment=36157

It is for the site https://www.gregoryortiz.com/.

It used to be #1 in Google for SEO New York, even though that term does not show up on the page. Actually, this exact URL was  https://www.gregoryortiz.com/seo/new-york-city/.

Pretty competitive market. Extremely competitive.

Well, I'm sure his competitors did not appreciate him ranking there using a private network. I figured it would fall eventually. 

I cannot find him anywhere in the top 100 now. 

Granted, he has probably made money hand over fist with that ranking while he had it.

It's why I really would not use a traditional private network to rank for SEO terms though. Your competitors are definitely going to out you. They are SEOs for crying out loud. You either need to build amazing sites for your network, or build things like directories that look completely normal.

His site/page is ranked at #62 for the keyword seo new york. The position might be off a little for local SERPs. He even has his name as a related search at the bottom of the SERPs, lol, for the seo new york keyword.

Kind of odd, If you search with Chrome his site/page doesn't show up but If you search with Firefox he's there for the keyword.

THE CHROME PENALTY! :o

The screenshot below is from Firefox:

image.png

1 minute ago, yukon said:

is site/page is ranked at #62 for the keyword seo new york. The position might be off a little for local SERPs. He even has his name as a related search at the bottom of the SERPs, lol, for the seo new york keyword.

Kind of odd, If you search with Chrome his site/page doesn't show up but If you search with Firefox he's there for the keyword.

THE CHROME PENALTY! :o

That is really odd. 

I've never seen a difference between browsers.

Anyhow, he got hammered.

2 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

That is really odd. 

I've never seen a difference between browsers.

Anyhow, he got hammered.

Submit that Chrome slap to Barry.

Since you know his site is penalized, you can observe the behavior of the "penalty check."

Google: gregoryortiz com

Or my technique, find a word in the h1 tag and add it to the domain with a space, which won't work, since Greg's site (who is a "50k a month seo") does not have an h1 tag, but the title tag will also work. We don't want words repeated in the domain, so that only really leaves the word "home" .

Google: gregoryortiz.com home

I have results set to display 100 at a time but it appears to be down in the 50s on firefox.

The concept here is that Google will sometimes still rank penalized sites on an exact match, but not a phrase match, and if there's no spaces, google returns very similar search results as an exact match, as far as I know, there could be exceptions.

Searching for just the domain reveals the domain is penalized in this case, but not always.

Google: gregoryortiz.com

very minor differences to

Google: "gregoryortiz.com"

Also, definitely email Barry about this, if you don't have his email or something, I will.

That has to be bad for business for an SEO right? 

An SEO gets their own site penalized by Google... Ooops.

I'm not emailing Barry. It's not that interesting or newsworthy. 

BHW or some other forum would probably find it more interesting.

Actually, now that I think about it though, we could move this to the public area. Nothing really secret here.

4 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

That has to be bad for business for an SEO right? 

An SEO gets their own site penalized by Google... Ooops.

I'm not emailing Barry. It's not that interesting or newsworthy. 

BHW or some other forum would probably find it more interesting.

Actually, now that I think about it though, we could move this to the public area. Nothing really secret here.

Well I think it's funny, I'm sure Barry would think it's funny. Feel free to move it. As far as being newsworthy, probably not.

I would be kind of interested in trying to find a few of the network sites to see what kind of collateral damage their was. 

I'm still of the opinion that Google is tracking down most networks by their hosting accounts. It would be interesting to see if the network sites were de-indexed, and if so, how many other sites on those same servers got hit.

That hurts. Like was said above, he probably made money hand over fist, but I'm sure that ranking was bringing in 20,000+ a month in business. 

I'm sure he kept most of his clients for a long time too, so he is not hurting and it is not like they are all going to run away after his site dropped. Most will never notice.

Still, that is a gut punch.

He ranks #3 for los angeles seo.

...and check out the double SERP listing above the local 3-pack, see, If someone wants it, it's possible. The reason you don't see this happen very often on local keywords is because most folks don't try.

image.png

On 1/14/2017 at 6:30 PM, yukon said:

He ranks #3 for los angeles seo.

...and check out the double SERP listing above the local 3-pack, see, If someone wants it, it's possible. The reason you don't see this happen very often on local keywords is because most folks don't try.

image.png

so how does one get it (double serps?)

8 hours ago, deezn said:

Mostly it is about authority. 

They have a lot of decent links. Looks like they are doing a good bit of the HARO type of outreach to get featured in articles. I also see some footer links on client sites, some of which are pretty strong sites.

Did not dig into it much further than that. 

18 hours ago, deezn said:

You rank two pages the same way you rank one page, but it gets easier for the 2nd page If you piggyback off the first ranked page (internal link on already ranked page pointing at 2nd/3rd page/s).