Sign in to follow this  
whateverpedia

Chrome to have adblocker built in?

This is an interesting development.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/apr/20/google-chrome-adblocker-feature

It apparently will just block ads that have been flagged as "offensive", or all ads on sites that have been similarly flagged. Obviously they're not going to block adwords as that would be financially suicidal for Google.

What do others think of the move? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

If they exclude AdSense completely from the ad blocker, I wonder if that could get them into any sort of legal trouble. I'm guessing not. It's their software. They can do whatever they want with it, and nobody is forced to use it. 

Smart way to try to entice advertisers that have left AdSense to come back.

Like the article points out too, this move could discourage people from installing other ad blockers that would block AdSense.

All around pretty smart marketing.

No worries for Adsense...

On desktop, the group bans “pop-up ads, auto-play video ads with sound, prestitial ads with countdown and large sticky ads”. On mobile “pop-up ads, prestitial ads, ads with density greater than 30%, flashing animated ads, auto-play video ads with sound, poststitial ads with countdown, full-screen scrollover ads, and large sticky ads” fail to make the standards.

Google trying to bully the world into their own rules.

What pisses me off the most is Forbes with that damn welcome page and countdown timer on everything they rank. F^%$ them, their welcome page and F^%$ Google for allowing that shit on the SERPs.

Example, shitty Forbes welcome page.

Yes, those are HUGE Google Ads that take up more than 30% of the page.

kLNGztR.png

3 hours ago, yukon said:

F^%$ them, their welcome page and F^%$ Google for allowing that shit on the SERPs.

Come on, tell us what you really think...LOL

Personally, I think it's a smart move on Google's part - and if the article is correct, Google is actually paying the owners of AdBlock to let their ads through. Building in their own adblocker would take back control. 

To be honest, ads don't bother me one way or another...I'm pretty much blind to them. 

41 minutes ago, BIG Mike said:

Come on, tell us what you really think...LOL

Personally, I think it's a smart move on Google's part - and if the article is correct, Google is actually paying the owners of AdBlock to let their ads through. Building in their own adblocker would take back control. 

To be honest, ads don't bother me one way or another...I'm pretty much blind to them. 

It's funny. If it is a niche I am working in, I see every ad. They all get my attention because I want to see what everyone else is doing. If I am floating around the internet for myself, I am blind to them too. It's like a switch.

And before someone else does it...

The only ads that get on my nerves are those that pop up and cover text I'm trying to read - and those are the webmaster's own doing. Not sure what they are thinking, but if you block my view of what I've started to read, I just click off never to return. The other is an audio ad.  I like to listen to documentaries or music while I'm online and to have some bs start to chirp at me without me clicking to hear it severely aggravates me.