inlight

What is a Private Network and how many sites to build

5 posts in this topic

Hi Mike and other members,

I am interested in building my first PBN or private network sites and going through the Spartan Training Course materials. In particular, I like the plan that Mike presented in his post here about monetizing some of the PBN sites, or PN sites.

I am brand new to this and am still trying to list out the action steps to focus on. Please help me understand these points:

1) Private network sites are sites where we search out expired domains with a good link profile and then rebrand and place new content on them than is relevant to our niche. Then, we have have links on these sites back to our money site. Is this correct?

2) How many private network sites is it normal to build? I know "network" means more than 1 site, but since I am starting from ground zero, I figured that even 1 site would have an impact. It also makes this project less daunting for me.

Knowing what you know now, if you were starting out like a newbie, how many sites would you build?

3) I see there are people selling expired Tumblr domains with Domain Authority. What do you think of this idea of buying expired tumblr domains and making it part of your private network? Have you tried using these?

Thanks for any comments and tips!

1) Yes, It can be. It could be a fresh registered domain that you built a site on and build links to as well. I would personally rather buy a domain with links though, certainly saves a lot of time. But, if you have a ton of domains with unrelated links and all of those domains are pointed at one site, it can go badly on a manual review.

2) Depends on your goals. Every single link that has authority flowing will improve the rankings on a page/site. But, a single link may not have enough impact to move a ranking on a specific keyword up. I always suggest one at a time, with basically anything. I tried an extremely chaotic project involving a ton of domains and it completely failed due to be too insane to manage and I wasted a bunch of money.

3) An interesting idea for a few sites in a network. Except that, when we are talking about links, it's the page authority that matters. Just trying to be clear here.

inlight likes this

Just to add a bit to what mki said...

There is no magic number of network sites to start with. Each niche and group of keywords is going to present different levels of competition. Even more than that, not every network site is going to be equally powerful. Some will be much stronger than others. It is really tough to say, "Oh you will need this many to get your site ranking."

If you are just starting out, I would probably start with 3-5 to get your feet wet and get a few under your belt. One might be enough in a really weak competition, but there can be such a lag time in acquiring domains that I would try to be more than one at once. What I mean by lag time is that no matter the method you are using to acquire domains, you might go several days without seeing any you want to buy or you might find some that you are interested in but the acquisition costs get too high. If you are looking at auctions, then you can throw an extra week on top of that if you do win an auction until the domain actually gets transferred into your account.

The Tumblr idea is something that has been floating around for awhile. If you can get them for free, sure. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't bother. Even for free I would be hesitant. I don't like putting much money (content) or effort into something I do not own and that could be shutdown at any moment. Or Tumblr could decide to go nofollow at some point like a lot of other Web 2.0 sites have.

Last thing I would say, and this is a recurring theme in the network course, is do what "real" sites do. Make your network sites just like they are any other website on the internet. Use images, custom logos and graphics, build social accounts, privacy pages, use internal linking (something most network sites make zero use of), etc.

Hope that helps.

inlight likes this

Thanks for all these valuable guidance! I'm going to go through Mike's videos in detail and get ready for some domain shopping.

I bought tumblr account years back based on PR and they didn't have any impact. Also, aren't tumblr links completely useless now that they modify the links like twitter does?

Mike Friedman likes this