Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tagiscom

Beware Norton, Ebay Scam

19 posts in this topic

Just bought Norton for another year to go on two PC's, but when l opened it, instead of giving me a disk it told me to go here and download it.

So l went here, (norton.com/setup) and it went here, hxxp://www.thinkseo.online/smm-social-media-marketing/index.html

So l though it redirected from an official norton site, which seems like a red flag.

Then put in some of my details and the product key, and then it said that the product key was acknowledged, but would not download.

So after dealing with one Indian after another on a bad line, he said that it was an internet issue or trojan, etc, but the internet was fine, and Norton did not find any viruses in the daily scan.

He then said that he would have to charge for further assistance, and download Norton for 5 years.

But it was his stubborn reluctance to tell me if my product key was active or not, that made me say goodbye.

After that l tried it on my laptop with 7, instead of the pc with xp, same thing, then l tried it on the new one, still the same issue, (eventhough the key only covered 2 pc's?

After that l used the F**K word as the last part of the key, it still worked. Or in other words, you could type anything in there and it would process it,and tell you to ring the free number to get screwed over by these scum merchants.

I have contacted Norton, (least l am pretty sure l did) and will ask for an immediate refund at Ebay, Then probably lick my wounds and buy it in a store.

I have bought Norton for years on Ebay, but it looks like the party is over, and it is time to bite the bullet.

Anyway hope that this info, saves some members here wasted hours of BS, as l went through.

:ph34r: PS Ebay may be legit, and it could be this company that is dodgy, or both, either way don't buy Norton as a download from Ebay.

I just tried norton.com/setup and it was fine so maybe you did something else first, or it was another very similar address maybe? I'm surprised you filled in details though if you spotted the url first.

Like the Russian affair it looks like you have scammed yet again. The re-subscriptions or fresh purchase paths to these products are usually contained within the successfully running application itself or by going to the official site like norton.com (or whatever) and signing up from there. Not by clicking on some obscure link in Ebay or choosing the second link down when you google it.

The fact that it takes any password rings alarm bells, the fact that you were facing being charged for support rings bigger bells.

You may have a rouge, hacked copy of this software on your pc now, loaded with malware, ready to explode. I would say, get rid of it, swallow the loss of money and start again using the suggestions above.

At the very least you should go to the official site of the vendor and check to see if you have a legitimate copy of this software.

People still use Norton?

And norton.com/setup does not redirect for me. You had some sort of malware on your system before you went there that redirected you.

10 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

You had some sort of malware on your system before you went there that redirected you.

Which was probably the dodgy copy you got from eBay.

Why didn't you just renew it from the menu in the software? When the license for any software I use is about to expire, it pops up a "nag" saying it is about to expire in 30 days, then constantly pops it up until I renew, or delete the software. Why anyone would buy a license from eBay is beyond me. If it's to save a few dollars, then it could end up being more expensive, as in this case. Not only have you thrown your money away on eBay, you now how to spend some more to get an official license.

18 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

People still use Norton?

That was my first thought as well.

As far as warning everybody about the pitfalls of buying software licenses from eBay, thanks. I'm not too sure that anyone else actually does that here though.

Shane, you really, really need to stop looking for the cheapest way to buy software. Just buy it directly from the vendor. If you can't afford it or simply don't want to pay their price, find a cheaper solution directly from a different vendor. 

And don't blame Norton because you got scammed by an eBay seller. 

Personally, I haven't paid for antivirus software for over 15 years.

All that scam website does is email your details.

Submit Code:

<form id="contact" name="myForm" method="post" action="sendmail.php" onsubmit="return validateForm()">

From Validation:
<script>
function validateForm() {
var x = document.forms["myForm"]["name"].value;
if (x == null || x == "" || x == "*Full Name") {
	alert("Name should be required!");
	return false;
}
var y = document.forms["myForm"]["email"].value;
if (y == null || y == "" || y == "*Email") {
	alert("Email ID should be required!");
	return false;
}
var z = document.forms["myForm"]["phone"].value;
if (z == null || z == "" || z == "*Phone Number") {
	alert("Phone No. should be required!");
	return false;
}
var m = document.forms["myForm"]["key"].value;
if (m == null || m == "" || m == "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX") {
	alert("Activation Key should be required!");
	return false;
}
}
</script>

sendmail.php response  

Request URL:http://www.thinkseo.online/smm-social-media-marketing/sendmail.php
Request Method:POST
Status Code:302 Moved Temporarily

It appears they just changed the page to something else.

Which is sad, I was about to release a simple mod to spam the crap out of their form.

https://supportcenter.godaddy.com/AbuseReport

The Host is Godaddy, you can contact them and let them know what happened.

This could be fake, but here's the domain registration:

Registrant Contact

Name: david
Organization: N/A
Mailing Address: Delhi, Delhi Other 110098 IN
Phone: +91.900000000
Ext:
Fax:
Fax Ext:
Email:davidjohnson1860@gmail.com

Since the domain registration appears to be fake, you can contact
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@publicdomainregistry.com

and send them an email explaining what happened.

ALSO: THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Did you google " norton.com/setup " or did they send you email instructions?

That would be a smoking gun that they are scammers, so let me know if they emailed you instructions.

If they did, open notepad, right click the link, go to copy link address, paste it into notepad.

If the email contains a fake link (says it's norton.com but it's not), the next step would be to contact Ebay on the phone and get a complaint in there as well.

If you Googled it, or typed the domain in, then you have malware.

3 hours ago, Alistair said:

I just tried norton.com/setup and it was fine so maybe you did something else first, or it was another very similar address maybe? I'm surprised you filled in details though if you spotted the url first.

http://www.getyoursetup.club/norton/?3406745051=14952109877a19e5b2df11571f7a1038d2b0af6c04baac5939

Yes, as others have said they seems to have disappeared, might have had something to do with me contacting Norton and giving them the link?

I also tried the one above, but it won't work either.

The product came with the link as well as the http://www.norton.com/setup that seems to work better.

2 hours ago, Lanfear63 said:

Like the Russian affair it looks like you have scammed yet again. The re-subscriptions or fresh purchase paths to these products are usually contained within the successfully running application itself or by going to the official site like norton.com (or whatever) and signing up from there. Not by clicking on some obscure link in Ebay or choosing the second link down when you google it.

The fact that it takes any password rings alarm bells, the fact that you were facing being charged for support rings bigger bells.

You may have a rouge, hacked copy of this software on your pc now, loaded with malware, ready to explode. I would say, get rid of it, swallow the loss of money and start again using the suggestions above.

At the very least you should go to the official site of the vendor and check to see if you have a legitimate copy of this software.

It was only $19 so no big deal. And l didn't get to the installing stage, (it would not download).

But l will ask for a refund.

2 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

People still use Norton?

And norton.com/setup does not redirect for me. You had some sort of malware on your system before you went there that redirected you.

Possibly, but l tried it just now, and the original site seems to be gone?

1 hour ago, whateverpedia said:

Which was probably the dodgy copy you got from eBay.

Why didn't you just renew it from the menu in the software? When the license for any software I use is about to expire, it pops up a "nag" saying it is about to expire in 30 days, then constantly pops it up until I renew, or delete the software. Why anyone would buy a license from eBay is beyond me. If it's to save a few dollars, then it could end up being more expensive, as in this case. Not only have you thrown your money away on eBay, you now how to spend some more to get an official license.

That was my first thought as well.

As far as warning everybody about the pitfalls of buying software licenses from eBay, thanks. I'm not too sure that anyone else actually does that here though.

Yep, it has that option. And yep, saved quite a lot getting Norton on Ebay, but with this download only crap, will probably give Ebay a miss for this one.

And you are welcome.

1 hour ago, Dan Riffle said:

Shane, you really, really need to stop looking for the cheapest way to buy software. Just buy it directly from the vendor. If you can't afford it or simply don't want to pay their price, find a cheaper solution directly from a different vendor. 

And don't blame Norton because you got scammed by an eBay seller. 

Personally, I haven't paid for antivirus software for over 15 years.

True, l am starting up a legit business and don't have time for this Shit.

And l didn't blame Norton.

Haven't paid! Tell us more.

59 minutes ago, mki said:

All that scam website does is email your details.

Submit Code:

<form id="contact" name="myForm" method="post" action="sendmail.php" onsubmit="return validateForm()">

From Validation:
<script>
function validateForm() {
var x = document.forms["myForm"]["name"].value;
if (x == null || x == "" || x == "*Full Name") {
	alert("Name should be required!");
	return false;
}
var y = document.forms["myForm"]["email"].value;
if (y == null || y == "" || y == "*Email") {
	alert("Email ID should be required!");
	return false;
}
var z = document.forms["myForm"]["phone"].value;
if (z == null || z == "" || z == "*Phone Number") {
	alert("Phone No. should be required!");
	return false;
}
var m = document.forms["myForm"]["key"].value;
if (m == null || m == "" || m == "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX") {
	alert("Activation Key should be required!");
	return false;
}
}
</script>

sendmail.php response  

Request URL:http://www.thinkseo.online/smm-social-media-marketing/sendmail.php
Request Method:POST
Status Code:302 Moved Temporarily

It appears they just changed the page to something else.

Which is sad, I was about to release a simple mod to spam the crap out of their form.

https://supportcenter.godaddy.com/AbuseReport

The Host is Godaddy, you can contact them and let them know what happened.

This could be fake, but here's the domain registration:

Registrant Contact

Name: david
Organization: N/A
Mailing Address: Delhi, Delhi Other 110098 IN
Phone: +91.900000000
Ext:
Fax:
Fax Ext:
Email:davidjohnson1860@gmail.com

Since the domain registration appears to be fake, you can contact

Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@publicdomainregistry.com

and send them an email explaining what happened.

ALSO: THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Did you google " norton.com/setup " or did they send you email instructions?

That would be a smoking gun that they are scammers, so let me know if they emailed you instructions.

If they did, open notepad, right click the link, go to copy link address, paste it into notepad.

If the email contains a fake link (says it's norton.com but it's not), the next step would be to contact Ebay on the phone and get a complaint in there as well.

If you Googled it, or typed the domain in, then you have malware.

No, it was written on the product.  The basic one first then the http one with the product key.

And don't worry l will ask for a refund with Ebay, and get them to step in if there is any nonsense.

B)

Shane, you really, really need to stop looking for the cheapest way to buy software.

That's it right there.  The time spent and money lost on scams is not worth the few bucks you think you will save....

don't buy Norton as a download from Ebay.

I wouldn't buy either - Norton OR a download from ebay:rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, kay king said:

That's it right there.  The time spent and money lost on scams is not worth the few bucks you think you will save....

I wouldn't buy either - Norton OR a download from ebay:rolleyes:

True, now, but in the past, getting Norton for $20 instead of $50. ^_^

But the request for a refund is in, so l won't have a day like today again. :blink:

And yep, it was a scam, the original link, now goes to a SEO site, or redirected from it?

But the other link above, with all of the Norton b/w images, is probably version two. Does not download and asks you to contact them.

2 hours ago, Tagiscom said:

No, it was written on the product.  The basic one first then the http one with the product key.

And don't worry l will ask for a refund with Ebay, and get them to step in if there is any nonsense.

B)

I'm confused...

What you have described is: You purchased software off Ebay.

There were instructions in the box to go to " norton.com/setup "

So either,

1) you mistyped this address, you can easily end up at various scam pages.

Or

2) your computer has malware on it and you were forwarded to the scam page. This is most likely, as it is exactly what the tech scammers usually do.

You should have no problem getting a new code from Norton either way, as I'm sure they will be happy to invalidate the old code.

If this is what occurred: this has nothing to do with the Ebay vendor, deal with Norton...

It appears there are a bunch of these scam pages:

http://wwwnortoncomsetup.com/ <-This is a scam page, it is not norton.com

Edit: also it appears people are not really liking Norton antivirus these days

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/norton.html

8 hours ago, mki said:

I'm confused...

What you have described is: You purchased software off Ebay.

There were instructions in the box to go to " norton.com/setup "

So either,

1) you mistyped this address, you can easily end up at various scam pages.

Or

2) your computer has malware on it and you were forwarded to the scam page. This is most likely, as it is exactly what the tech scammers usually do.

You should have no problem getting a new code from Norton either way, as I'm sure they will be happy to invalidate the old code.

If this is what occurred: this has nothing to do with the Ebay vendor, deal with Norton...

It appears there are a bunch of these scam pages:

http://wwwnortoncomsetup.com/ <-This is a scam page, it is not norton.com

Edit: also it appears people are not really liking Norton antivirus these days

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/norton.html

I did originally try it on my old pc with xp on it, but l rarely turn it on, and clean it once a week. So it could have a virus, but unlikely.

And l tried this on two sites, both would not download and wanted me to contact them.

And l also found the most legit looking Norton site, allowing me to enter the product key, it refused to work or the enter arrow would not work.

As for the actual product when l click on that to update it only allows you to buy and download one of their products, not put in a product key.

People don't like most if not all antivirus these days, so...Mc Fee isn't perfect either, but without the right settings l agree Norton can be a pain.

B)

1 hour ago, Tagiscom said:

I did originally try it on my old pc with xp on it, but l rarely turn it on, and clean it once a week. So it could have a virus, but unlikely.

And l tried this on two sites, both would not download and wanted me to contact them.

And l also found the most legit looking Norton site, allowing me to enter the product key, it refused to work or the enter arrow would not work.

As for the actual product when l click on that to update it only allows you to buy and download one of their products, not put in a product key.

People don't like most if not all antivirus these days, so...Mc Fee isn't perfect either, but without the right settings l agree Norton can be a pain.

B)

"Most legit looking Norton site" ... Dude there's only one Norton site ... Everything else is a scam that steals your product key...

First thing I get when I go to the real site, is it asks me to create an account.

If you type norton.com/setup into the address bar and do not see that with the secure site icon, you have malware, and it's a scam.

This is exactly what it should look like, they use the stupid signed SSL certificate (whatever it's called), not only should it say SSL, but it should say Symantec Corporation next to the lock, next to the address bar...

Once they pair a key to an account, the key is gone, you have to call Norton to get the old key disabled and they should give you a new key.

Also so you know, anti virus software works off signatures, I can code up a virus right now that will steal your passwords just fine and AV will not detect it. The logic that your ancient totally unsafe windows xp computer that should never be connected directly to the internet with out a modern firewall, is safe, because you scan it for viruses is very bad logic. There's rootkits(a tool for hiding a virus)/viruses for XP that run processes at a level below the operating system(ring0), the AV software will not detect it... Not to mention other virtually impossible to detect HAL(Hardware Abstraction Layer, usually modified video drivers) viruses, which run just under that. Not to mention multiple vulnerabilities for XP that are seriously nasty and can be exploited by just having your XP computer connected to the internet. On XP, if you ever get a virus, I don't recommend even attempting to remove it, since it's much more secure to just wipe the computer clean and restart from a backup/disk image.

I only use XP for virtual machines with the firewall enabled, which run on my firewalled computer, behind my router, which has a firewall, which is connected to another router, which has a very limited firewall (I had to do it that way, not a security thing, cable company supplies a router will garbage wireless.) The nice thing about a VM is that I can just roll the machine back to it's original clone.

2n8ynsy.jpg

4 hours ago, mki said:

"Most legit looking Norton site" ... Dude there's only one Norton site ... Everything else is a scam that steals your product key...

First thing I get when I go to the real site, is it asks me to create an account.

If you type norton.com/setup into the address bar and do not see that with the secure site icon, you have malware, and it's a scam.

This is exactly what it should look like, they use the stupid signed SSL certificate (whatever it's called), not only should it say SSL, but it should say Symantec Corporation next to the lock, next to the address bar...

Once they pair a key to an account, the key is gone, you have to call Norton to get the old key disabled and they should give you a new key.

Also so you know, anti virus software works off signatures, I can code up a virus right now that will steal your passwords just fine and AV will not detect it. The logic that your ancient totally unsafe windows xp computer that should never be connected directly to the internet with out a modern firewall, is safe, because you scan it for viruses is very bad logic. There's rootkits(a tool for hiding a virus)/viruses for XP that run processes at a level below the operating system(ring0), the AV software will not detect it... Not to mention other virtually impossible to detect HAL(Hardware Abstraction Layer, usually modified video drivers) viruses, which run just under that. Not to mention multiple vulnerabilities for XP that are seriously nasty and can be exploited by just having your XP computer connected to the internet. On XP, if you ever get a virus, I don't recommend even attempting to remove it, since it's much more secure to just wipe the computer clean and restart from a backup/disk image.

I only use XP for virtual machines with the firewall enabled, which run on my firewalled computer, behind my router, which has a firewall, which is connected to another router, which has a very limited firewall (I had to do it that way, not a security thing, cable company supplies a router will garbage wireless.) The nice thing about a VM is that I can just roll the machine back to it's original clone.

No, l did a bit more of a search and found this great piece of advise,...

Most Norton security products have multiple seats; that is, you can use the same product key to install a Norton product on several different devices.  Unscrupulous sellers on eBay may sell you one of the seats and then resell the product key's other seats to other unsuspecting buyers.  This is a violation of the Norton EULA.  If the license you purchased is found to be in violation, your Norton product will cease to work and your only recourse would be to try to get your money back from the seller - Symantec would not be responsible for any loss you might suffer from purchasing from a private seller, rather than an authorized retailer.

Also went to this Official site, and tried it, but the key refused to work, either because of this issue, or, as you have said skimmed the product key.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/au/home/current/solutions/kb20080409073508EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

And l don't think that contacting Symantec would give me a new one, (if the guy above is right). Hard to tell if the product is dodgy or not, but either way l will get a refund and buy a legit store one.

I still have 35 days on the two older laptop, pc, so plenty of time.

B)

1 hour ago, yukon said:

The seller probably used a keygen, lmao.

Yes, l wouldn't be surprised if he has a Giraffe Norton Product Key site?

But 4 days to go to see if he wants to blow his account or cough up, (most cough up).

:P

On 5/19/2017 at 7:15 AM, Mike Friedman said:

People still use Norton?

My thoughts, too. 

Why even pay for anti-virus when some of the best is free?  

Shane - - go to the Kapersky site.........repeat, to the Kapersky site, not one similar or one that has the same software -but to KAPERSKY............and download a free program called TDSSkiller and check your system for rootkits.  You need to get rid of anything of that sort before you mess with anything else.  TDSSkiller is FREE, btw.  

4 hours ago, HeySal said:

My thoughts, too. 

Why even pay for anti-virus when some of the best is free?  

Shane - - go to the Kapersky site.........repeat, to the Kapersky site, not one similar or one that has the same software -but to KAPERSKY............and download a free program called TDSSkiller and check your system for rootkits.  You need to get rid of anything of that sort before you mess with anything else.  TDSSkiller is FREE, btw.  

Thanks Sal, l will look into it.

But l already have Regcure Pro, for scanning and cleaning. But my old Laptop has so much crap on it, l pretty have to run that every time l use it, (which is rare now).

Kapersky is similar in price to Norton, but another option if l need it.

I have spoken to the guy l bought it from, he assures me that it was legit, but he has agreed to give me a full refund for it, so l should see that anytime soon.

Or he just wanted the product key so he can sent it to Norton, and go from there.

:D