Sign in to follow this  
Tagiscom

Beware Norton, Ebay Scam

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Tagiscom said:

Well, l cannot leave it on all day without it clogging up so much that the Firefox browser starts to act weird, (mulitple images, etc).

And l start regcleanpro and it goes into the red on some parts.

B)

In that case, my recommendation is to kill it with fire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dan Riffle said:

In that case, my recommendation is to kill it with fire. 

This is why, when I get a virus, I just reinstall windows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mki said:

Uh most people consider Regcure Pro to be a scam.

https://www.stopscamware.com/registry-scam-regcure-pro

The system registry stores settings related to software and your computer. This is one of these "If it's not broken, don't fix it" type of situations. The software likely does nothing. If there was something wrong with the registry, the correct way to fix it would be to use regedit and you need to know what you are doing.

Groan, thanks! :rolleyes: Regedit, sounds like CCleaner, tried that a long time ago, and still have nightmares, (well, not really).

1 hour ago, Dan Riffle said:

In that case, my recommendation is to kill it with fire. 

Lol, blowtorch or bonfire? ^_^

1 hour ago, mki said:

This is why, when I get a virus, I just reinstall windows.

Yes, odd's on it has a trojan, but l usually only turn it on once a week to clean up, so the virus hasn't shown up.

Hopefully it never will, and l have squashed it, (l removed a lot of no-purpose files from the OS, that might have been its hiding places).

But yeah, setting it back to factory settings would fix it, but that also means a lot of wasted time, and l have wasted enough this week.

It is really just an emergency backup, so l can live with it being crippled.

:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tagiscom said:

Yes, odd's on it has a trojan, but l usually only turn it on once a week to clean up, so the virus hasn't shown up.

Hopefully it never will, and l have squashed it, (l removed a lot of no-purpose files from the OS, that might have been its hiding places).

But yeah, setting it back to factory settings would fix it, but that also means a lot of wasted time, and l have wasted enough this week.

It is really just an emergency backup, so l can live with it being crippled.

:o

Oh boy...

Please tell me that you have scanned it using an offline disk?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17466/windows-defender-offline-help-protect-my-pc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the Ebay seller distributing copies with Norton's permissions? It seems to me like buying software on Ebay or other non-affiliated sites is, at best, illegal. Most software licenses don't allow you to resell the product unless you actually have an agreement in place with the copyright holder. 

Just saying...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mki said:

Oh boy...

Please tell me that you have scanned it using an offline disk?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17466/windows-defender-offline-help-protect-my-pc

Well, l might if it cleans as well as scans.

8 hours ago, BIG Mike said:

Is the Ebay seller distributing copies with Norton's permissions? It seems to me like buying software on Ebay or other non-affiliated sites is, at best, illegal. Most software licenses don't allow you to resell the product unless you actually have an agreement in place with the copyright holder. 

Just saying...

No, l got a full refund today, so most likely the Ebay seller was legit, and the s**t that shows up when l type in the Url isn't.

All first page results were not Norton, but other company's some dodgy,

B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tagiscom said:

Groan, thanks! :rolleyes: Regedit, sounds like CCleaner, tried that a long time ago, and still have nightmares, (well, not really).

I can't even imagine how anyone would have trouble with CC on a windows OS. Seriously - I think maybe you should stop trying to figure out viruses and trojans and hire an exorcist for it. Holy cow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, HeySal said:

I can't even imagine how anyone would have trouble with CC on a windows OS. Seriously - I think maybe you should stop trying to figure out viruses and trojans and hire an exorcist for it. Holy cow. 

This was a long time ago, Sal, when l still had my newbie hat on, around 2010, and my computer was having issues, l tried that one, and it saved all of my files after going on a rampage to a folder, but of course l deleted that after getting stressed out that it seemed to delete everything it could find.

:blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tagiscom said:

This was a long time ago, Sal, when l still had my newbie hat on, around 2010, and my computer was having issues, l tried that one, and it saved all of my files after going on a rampage to a folder, but of course l deleted that after getting stressed out that it seemed to delete everything it could find.

:blink:


You boot the computer from a CD so your OS doesn't load, it scans and removes viruses. It's from Microsoft, it's free, yes it's a bit of BS to burn a CD, but this really should have been step #1.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mki said:


You boot the computer from a CD so your OS doesn't load, it scans and removes viruses. It's from Microsoft, it's free, yes it's a bit of BS to burn a CD, but this really should have been step #1.

 

Oh, no, it wasn't that bad, if l remember correctly it slowed down to a crawl, so l tried the free CCleaner, not realizing that it was aggressive.

But thankfully all of the crucial data was on a pile of DVD's

B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tagiscom said:

Oh, no, it wasn't that bad, if l remember correctly it slowed down to a crawl, so l tried the free CCleaner, not realizing that it was aggressive.

But thankfully all of the crucial data was on a pile of DVD's

B)

??? I do not understand your response. Please take my advice... It's a standard procedure... Some viruses work around AV software, by using an offline virus scanner, it works around their counter measures, since the offline scanner boots the computer off the disk.

I have absolutely no idea what CC cleaner is.

I work with tech every day and I highly suggest you take my advice and just do what you should do, instead of doing everything else.

So were clear here, if I had the problems you are describing, I would do the following:

If I got redirected to a scam website when I tried type norton.com/setup,

#1 Disconnect the Internet and attempt to verify that I didn't personally screw this up. I would verify that the site isn't hacked on a different connection.

#2 If I found any evidence that I was infected with a virus, I would stop everything I was doing. I have been compromised, since I have no way to fully evaluate the intrusion, I would assume the worst, that all of my information has been comprised and sever identity theft is possible, meaning they start taking out loans with my personal information and I get completely screwed.

#3 Back up every computer on this network by imaging their hard drives, backup their drive images to a NAS (since it's so many computers I would need about 16TB of space)

#4 Erase everything

#5 Reinstall Windows

#6 Redo all of my passwords for websites, websevers, email accounts, everything...

I would do this because, I know, they don't try to hack you to send you flowers, they hack you, to steal everything they can. It can be things from, stealing cdkeys/software codes, to credit card information, to extortion, identity theft, fraud, wire fraud, or using your computer as a node to do any of those things relatively anonymously.

So, I suggest you take this a little bit more seriously and do step #1.

Create an offline disk and scan the computer.

It's completely possible that it's relatively harmless malware that just redirects browser traffic, but they could do that for any address, including things like bank logins, which those guys don't screw around about it, and you won't be able to tell that your account details were just stolen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, mki said:

??? I do not understand your response. Please take my advice... It's a standard procedure... Some viruses work around AV software, by using an offline virus scanner, it works around their counter measures, since the offline scanner boots the computer off the disk.

I have absolutely no idea what CC cleaner is.

I work with tech every day and I highly suggest you take my advice and just do what you should do, instead of doing everything else.

So were clear here, if I had the problems you are describing, I would do the following:

If I got redirected to a scam website when I tried type norton.com/setup,

#1 Disconnect the Internet and attempt to verify that I didn't personally screw this up. I would verify that the site isn't hacked on a different connection.

#2 If I found any evidence that I was infected with a virus, I would stop everything I was doing. I have been compromised, since I have no way to fully evaluate the intrusion, I would assume the worst, that all of my information has been comprised and sever identity theft is possible, meaning they start taking out loans with my personal information and I get completely screwed.

#3 Back up every computer on this network by imaging their hard drives, backup their drive images to a NAS (since it's so many computers I would need about 16TB of space)

#4 Erase everything

#5 Reinstall Windows

#6 Redo all of my passwords for websites, websevers, email accounts, everything...

I would do this because, I know, they don't try to hack you to send you flowers, they hack you, to steal everything they can. It can be things from, stealing cdkeys/software codes, to credit card information, to extortion, identity theft, fraud, wire fraud, or using your computer as a node to do any of those things relatively anonymously.

So, I suggest you take this a little bit more seriously and do step #1.

Create an offline disk and scan the computer.

It's completely possible that it's relatively harmless malware that just redirects browser traffic, but they could do that for any address, including things like bank logins, which those guys don't screw around about it, and you won't be able to tell that your account details were just stolen.

Thankyou for your detailed response, but using CCleaner, was related to an old PC, that is currently stored away and not in use, and that one didn't have a virus, just a lot of crap that slowed it down.

The Norton issue, also didn't download any viruses, but l had to deal with a few scammy businesses, which probably got it's grimy hands on the product code, (which has been sent to Norton and deactivated).

The third or old laptop may still have a virus, (l downloaded some software that wasn't what it seemed) and l haven't seen any evidence so far of it being present. That one has been on that laptop for months, and apart from certain forum words looking like links, and it redirecting to BS ad's, that was it.

B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tagiscom said:

The third or old laptop may still have a virus, (l downloaded some software that wasn't what it seemed) and l haven't seen any evidence so far of it being present. That one has been on that laptop for months, and apart from certain forum words looking like links, and it redirecting to BS ad's, that was it.

That is Malware, a browser hack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tagiscom said:

The Norton issue, also didn't download any viruses, but l had to deal with a few scammy businesses, which probably got it's grimy hands on the product code, (which has been sent to Norton and deactivated).

Sigh. You have still not explained how you ended up at the scam page... The one where I took my time to actually look at the code on the previous page.

How did you find that? You need to think really carefully about what you did, because somewhere in that process, you've either been compromised, or accidentally did something unknowingly, that lead to finding that page.

Because guess what? They're back ... The address you provided is indeed attempting to steal people's product codes again.

So, how did you get there, instead of where you were suppose to go?

I am posting this out of legitimate concern for your well being... I do not personally believe that you are safe from whatever threat you have encountered.

I am hoping that you neglected to mention that the seller provided a link for you to click in an email, which would mean, all that's occurred is you got scammed out of the code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lanfear63 said:

That is Malware, a browser hack.

This... And if it can do that, it can do anything... Sometimes tools like that will completely disable a computers security, and allow for other tools to be installed that can do things like spread to other computers on the network. To be clear, most of the time, they do that to update the malware, it's just a matter of whether they actually do anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mki said:

Sigh. You have still not explained how you ended up at the scam page... The one where I took my time to actually look at the code on the previous page.

How did you find that? You need to think really carefully about what you did, because somewhere in that process, you've either been compromised, or accidentally did something unknowingly, that lead to finding that page.

Because guess what? They're back ... The address you provided is indeed attempting to steal people's product codes again.

So, how did you get there, instead of where you were suppose to go?

I am posting this out of legitimate concern for your well being... I do not personally believe that you are safe from whatever threat you have encountered.

I am hoping that you neglected to mention that the seller provided a link for you to click in an email, which would mean, all that's occurred is you got scammed out of the code.

Ok, there were two addresses in the Norton product, which was a sealed card, one was the norton.com/setup and the other had the http:// on the front.

The first only seems to bring up crap on the first page results, (even the advertisement was scammy) and the second one, was better.

 

Since the product looked very professional with no red flags to speak of, (and l have got a full refund) l would say it is likely that the seller is legit.

But scammers realizing that if someone buys this product they will put that link in, have somehow pushed Norton off the first and who knows how many pages, of the Google search engine.

 

They do this all of the time with pushing legit movie trailers off the top results and pushing some FW with an Apple computer that is bored.

 

But l intend to buy an instore one soon.

B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tagiscom said:

Ok, there were two addresses in the Norton product, which was a sealed card, one was the norton.com/setup and the other had the http:// on the front.

The first only seems to bring up crap on the first page results, (even the advertisement was scammy) and the second one, was better.

 

Since the product looked very professional with no red flags to speak of, (and l have got a full refund) l would say it is likely that the seller is legit.

But scammers realizing that if someone buys this product they will put that link in, have somehow pushed Norton off the first and who knows how many pages, of the Google search engine.

 

They do this all of the time with pushing legit movie trailers off the top results and pushing some FW with an Apple computer that is bored.

 

But l intend to buy an instore one soon.

B)

You definitely have a virus or malware on your computer. If I type "norton.com/setup" into the address bar, Google it, Bing it, or Yahoo it, I get the correct page in the first result.

Note: That When I google it, I get an advertisement, do not click any advertisements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mki said:

You definitely have a virus or malware on your computer. If I type "norton.com/setup" into the address bar, Google it, Bing it, or Yahoo it, I get the correct page in the first result.

Note: That When I google it, I get an advertisement, do not click any advertisements.

Yes, l just tried it on my new one, (laptop), and the correct page results came up.

Darnit and l thought l nailed that pesky virus.

I will still get the instore one, since it comes with the disk, (makes it easier to fix issues).

:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mki said:

 

 

 

I had Bonzi Buddy on a PC back in 2000, never had any problems. Talking purple ape, awesomeness.

There's a weather app that my inlaws relentlessly download every time I clean their XP PC (RIP). You can watch grass grow while browsing the internet, 300 processes running in the background. Sure, lets check bank accounts on this piece of shit PC, what could go wrong?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, yukon said:

You can watch grass grow while browsing the internet, 300 processes running in the background. Sure, lets check bank accounts on this piece of shit PC, what could go wrong?

It didn't take a whole lot to get people to install crapware on their computer back then.

In the early 2000s, I had the wonderful duty of removing crapware off family and friends computers. One friend, installed dozens of these "Sex Dolls" that he 'pirated' off some file sharing service, (edonkey I think?, can't remember, it was shortly after napster got shut down.) I have no idea what they were, what they did, I'm assuming it was like a pornographic version of Bonzi Buddy. I was suppose to back a bunch of stuff up, including a folder that I was suppose to backup but not look in, but his computer was so infested with porn adware and auto dailers that I formatted it. He complained about losing his MP3s and I told him "redownload them dude, I'm not copying any of your files..."

I think I literally told him his computer had full blown aids and I distinctly remember laughing with mutual friends while he was not there, about how bad it was, while we were trying to go through his browsing history and files, but were unable to, since there were so much adware, malware, and actual trojans/viruses that nothing actually worked anymore. His computer degraded to a totally unusable state, all you could do is boot it, wait 5 minutes for all the adware to show you porn ads (with the phone line disconnected to the modem since it would immediately begin dialing a 1-900 number, he explained that it only tried once, so after it failed to dial, it was safe to reconnect the phone cord, which I never did) then try to do basically anything, only for explorer to crash, and you couldn't restart it since ctrl+alt+del and other windows shortcuts were disabled and replaced with a malware AV tool. All you could do was click the icons on the desktop, which all he did was play some game and use AIM. Every other icon was malware.

And the reason he wanted it "Fixed" was obviously because he couldn't play the game anymore because it was "too laggy"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.