Sign in to follow this  
Terra

I'm getting published, Baby!

My manuscript has been accepted and I'm going to be signing my contract tomorrow!

Whoo Hoo!! :D

There is still a ton of stuff that needs to be done, but the publisher will be working with me regarding book cover design, illustrations, etc. Nothing will be done without my consent first so this is going to be really cool.

I'm so excited!!

But, this means tons more waiting before we have a finished product and it goes to market. Patience is not my strong suit. <_<

Terra

16 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

Congratulations.

Now the important question... What are you working on getting published next?

I just signed my contract today and my publisher is going to contact me in 4 to 5 days and discuss illustrations, price of the book, etc.  We will be working hand in hand with the cover design and illustrations for the first page of each chapter, lots of stuff. What I like about this publisher is that I ok everything before it goes to print. So I'm going to be busy for awhile with this one.

The title of this book is "Here Comes Little Jenna Jafferty"

After this one is printed, then my second book in the series will be worked on and printed. That title is "Little Jenna Jafferty in Changes and Challenges" and I am in the process of writing the third book now but haven't decided on that title yet. This series is going to have between 5 to 7 books in it, so I will be busy for awhile.

I do have aspirations to write an inspirational novel after that though. ;)

Terra

2 hours ago, whateverpedia said:

I'll wait until l it comes out on dvd, or is streamed on Netflix.

Just kidding. Congrats on getting your work out there.

Actually I've had another think about this.

I assume from the title that it's a kid's book. If so, there's a possibility of it being picked by some media outlet (movies, TV, cartoons, streaming, etc.). If that happens you could have produced a goldmine. Kids entertainment is BIG BUSINESS.

Anyway, cross that bridge when you get to it.

On 5/24/2017 at 7:27 PM, HeySal said:

Congratulations, Terra.  How exciting for you.  Which publisher and how long until the actual release?  

Thank you Sal.

I have no idea when it will be released, but you'll know the publisher when it is. ;)

My publication assistant, I have a publication assistant, lol! Anyway, she gave me my author portal credentials yesterday and went over editing and illustrating and other things for me. The initial editing may take up to two months, it just depends on how many things they'll need to change to fit their publishing style. For instance, they don't use all caps to grab attention, so anything I had in all caps will be changed to italics. That type of thing.

After that is done, then we'll move to the illustration phase for the book cover design and inner illustrations.

I had to write my ATA and book blurb for her yesterday afternoon. Caught me off guard as I was still a little groggy and dizzy from the anesthesia from my surgical procedure the day before, haha!

Terra

10 hours ago, whateverpedia said:

Actually I've had another think about this.

I assume from the title that it's a kid's book. If so, there's a possibility of it being picked by some media outlet (movies, TV, cartoons, streaming, etc.). If that happens you could have produced a goldmine. Kids entertainment is BIG BUSINESS.

Anyway, cross that bridge when you get to it.

Again you make me say...

"I knew I liked you!!" :wub:

Terra

15 hours ago, Terra said:

Thank you Sal.

I have no idea when it will be released, but you'll know the publisher when it is. ;)

My publication assistant, I have a publication assistant, lol! Anyway, she gave me my author portal credentials yesterday and went over editing and illustrating and other things for me. The initial editing may take up to two months, it just depends on how many things they'll need to change to fit their publishing style. For instance, they don't use all caps to grab attention, so anything I had in all caps will be changed to italics. That type of thing.

After that is done, then we'll move to the illustration phase for the book cover design and inner illustrations.

I had to write my ABA and book blurb for her yesterday afternoon. Caught me off guard as I was still a little groggy and dizzy from the anesthesia from my surgical procedure the day before, haha!

Terra

Just wondering.  Not important.  I know it takes some books some time between acceptance and actual release date, so ......... I guess we'll have to wait until you announce it to know, huh? From what you said about it so far, it seems like it won't take too very long. 

On 5/25/2017 at 11:39 PM, HeySal said:

Just wondering.  Not important.  I know it takes some books some time between acceptance and actual release date, so ......... I guess we'll have to wait until you announce it to know, huh? From what you said about it so far, it seems like it won't take too very long. 

Well, I have stated quite often that I'm not very patient, LOL!

So I do think it will take a while.

The basic timeline I was given was this...

Editorial Review: The initial edit can take up to about two months. Subsequent revision rounds only take about a week (depending
on the extent and nature of the changes).

Typesetting: Once we have your edit completed and approved by you, a designer will format the manuscript into
a print ready file. This is where we will implement heading and chapter titles along with choosing the appropriate
fonts, placing images and making certain that all we present your work in a visually appealing manner.
The first typeset draft of your manuscript should be completed within a month after we receive your approval on
the edited manuscript.

Cover Design: After we have received your approval on the typesetting phase, one of our artists will complete
your custom cover design using your instructions.
You should receive the first draft of your cover design within 1 month of approving your finished typeset file.

Printing: Once your cover design is approved, we will send your digital files to be printed and assembled into a
finished book ready for distribution. We will ship you the batch of complimentary copies as defined in your
agreement for your approval. Once approved, we will ok our distributor to begin listing your physical book for retail
sale.
Your printed books will ship in 2 to 3 weeks after we receive your approval on the cover design.

Digital Distribution: After your printed books are completed and approved for distribution, we will begin the
process of converting your title to an eBook format. Once this conversion is complete, our staff will upload your
eBook to online vendors (such as Amazon.com, iTunes and Barnes & Noble).
This process takes about 3 weeks to complete, although individual online retailers may take a bit longer as some
stores review and approve each title uploaded to their site.

So to me, it won't be any time soon, haha!

It's still in the editing process right now. Soooo...

Terra

With the time lines you quoted on the conservative it is about  6 weeks away. Knowing that their will be changes and delays looks like 3-4 months total.  Congratulations on your book getting published.  

4 hours ago, Terra said:

Just be glad it's a kid's book and not a 700 pg novel. I know some authors have waited over a year to see their books in print. Of course, once their name was established and they had people actually waiting on their next release, things got a little speedier. 

10 hours ago, dwolfe said:

With the time lines you quoted on the conservative it is about  6 weeks away. Knowing that their will be changes and delays looks like 3-4 months total.  Congratulations on your book getting published.  

Thanks, Don!

3-4 months would be awesome! I was thinking more along the lines of December/January so I'll definitely take late-August/late-September!

Once this book is complete and on the market, they want me to send them the manuscript of book two in the series, but I'm thinking I'll hold off for a bit to see how sales are going on the first.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see but in the meantime, I'm still working on book 3. :)

Terra

On 6/4/2017 at 11:08 PM, HeySal said:

Just be glad it's a kid's book and not a 700 pg novel. I know some authors have waited over a year to see their books in print. Of course, once their name was established and they had people actually waiting on their next release, things got a little speedier. 

Yep, I have no idea how many pages it will be. That depends on font size, etc. But it has 12 chapters and a little over 51,000 words.

I have no idea of the word count on a 700 page novel, but I'm quite confident that it's way beyond 51,000, lol!

Terra

4 hours ago, Terra said:

Yep, I have no idea how many pages it will be. That depends on font size, etc. But it has 12 chapters and a little over 51,000 words.

I have no idea of the word count on a 700 page novel, but I'm quite confident that it's way beyond 51,000, lol!

Terra

Hard to say.  Depends totally on the lay-up.  On average a 700 pg book is around 200,000 words - and 50,000 will be around 200, but that can vary depending on font, etc.  That's a good length for the age of kids your writing for. 

Hahaha!

I just realized I transposed my numbers, LOL! My book is a little over 15,000 words, not 51,000.

The standard for chapter books is between 11,000 and 13,000 but when have I ever been a conformist? :lol:

Terra

On 6/5/2017 at 8:12 AM, Terra said:

So I do think it will take a while.

The basic timeline I was given was this...

Editorial Review: The initial edit can take up to about two months. Subsequent revision rounds only take about a week (depending
on the extent and nature of the changes).

Typesetting: Once we have your edit completed and approved by you, a designer will format the manuscript into
a print ready file. This is where we will implement heading and chapter titles along with choosing the appropriate
fonts, placing images and making certain that all we present your work in a visually appealing manner.
The first typeset draft of your manuscript should be completed within a month after we receive your approval on
the edited manuscript.

Cover Design: After we have received your approval on the typesetting phase, one of our artists will complete
your custom cover design using your instructions.
You should receive the first draft of your cover design within 1 month of approving your finished typeset file.

Printing: Once your cover design is approved, we will send your digital files to be printed and assembled into a
finished book ready for distribution. We will ship you the batch of complimentary copies as defined in your
agreement for your approval. Once approved, we will ok our distributor to begin listing your physical book for retail
sale.
Your printed books will ship in 2 to 3 weeks after we receive your approval on the cover design.

Digital Distribution: After your printed books are completed and approved for distribution, we will begin the
process of converting your title to an eBook format. Once this conversion is complete, our staff will upload your
eBook to online vendors (such as Amazon.com, iTunes and Barnes & Noble).
This process takes about 3 weeks to complete, although individual online retailers may take a bit longer as some
stores review and approve each title uploaded to their site.

So to me, it won't be any time soon, haha!

It's still in the editing process right now. Soooo...

Terra

Yes, Terra congrats, l went through the same process, phew, must be 10 or more years ago, when l got a puzzle through, (l went to a toy company with design ideas).

I made about 5k out of it, before it ran out of steam, (sold worldwide) and remember getting a check for 1.5k once, (went on a holiday, lol).

Just wait til you get the first design draft, pretty exciting stuff.

Good luck.

:D

4 hours ago, Tagiscom said:

Yes, Terra congrats, l went through the same process, phew, must be 10 or more years ago, when l got a puzzle through, (l went to a toy company with design ideas).

I made about 5k out of it, before it ran out of steam, (sold worldwide) and remember getting a check for 1.5k once, (went on a holiday, lol).

Just wait til you get the first design draft, pretty exciting stuff.

Good luck.

:D

Thanks Shane!

That is too cool about your puzzle. You never told me that before. That must have been a real "high" and I can't wait for mine.

I'm getting excited and can't wait for the page layout to come to me for approval but I'm even more excited about talking with the illustrator. Once the front and back cover is done, then they will take over and do the inside illustrations, sketches for each chapter. I like that once they get what I want from the cover designs that they will take it from there. It sort of develops a mutual trust in one another that way. :)

Terra

6 hours ago, Terra said:

Thanks Shane!

That is too cool about your puzzle. You never told me that before. That must have been a real "high" and I can't wait for mine.

I'm getting excited and can't wait for the page layout to come to me for approval but I'm even more excited about talking with the illustrator. Once the front and back cover is done, then they will take over and do the inside illustrations, sketches for each chapter. I like that once they get what I want from the cover designs that they will take it from there. It sort of develops a mutual trust in one another that way. :)

Terra

No, Terra l did, when someone elsewhere asked me what Tagiscom meant, a long time ago.

Tagiscom is an abbreviation for my first website or Toy and Game Inventor Success.com, (you can check it out there if you like).

Talk about writing, spent two and a half years adding content to that one, and my design ideas.

And l did also see the graphic artist, not for the puzzle l came up with, (she was an illustrator, they used).

I also got a guided tour through their factory.

Odd's on you may also get a guided tour as well, or needle them if they don't mention it lol.

;)

12 hours ago, Tagiscom said:

No, Terra l did, when someone elsewhere asked me what Tagiscom meant, a long time ago.

Tagiscom is an abbreviation for my first website or Toy and Game Inventor Success.com, (you can check it out there if you like).

Talk about writing, spent two and a half years adding content to that one, and my design ideas.

And l did also see the graphic artist, not for the puzzle l came up with, (she was an illustrator, they used).

I also got a guided tour through their factory.

Odd's on you may also get a guided tour as well, or needle them if they don't mention it lol.

;)

Oh, I must have somehow missed that.

I'm going to check it out as soon as I get some stuff done.

I'd love to take a tour of my publisher's facility. They're located in the southern east coast and I love me some sun, sand and surf! :)

Terra