Sign in to follow this  
ShayB

30 Day Challenge -- August 2017 -- Post Your Progress

I'm posting this a few days early because the next two days will be busy for me.

Post your progress on whatever projects you have going on.

If you want added accountability: post your goals in the first post, then we can gently prod you for updates every week. ;) 

My goal is to have completely finished the third book in my series by the end of August.

But please go easy on me with the accountability as I am on call for surgery and could have only a two to four day notice. Doc is going to call me if there is a cancellation, otherwise, it's on the 21st of this month. Also, my son's Fiance is arriving from the Philippines on the 12 with the wedding to take place on Sept. 2nd. Our 34th wedding anniversary is this coming weekend so we'll be gone a couple of days as well.

Despite all of that, I seriously want to get this third book done in August, at least the complete rough draft.

Terra

I only have 1 major goals for August - I've got until September 1st to finish developing testing and deploying V 3.0 of our EFL school's Language Arts Portal for the teachers and students.

It's actually been an ongoing project for the past six years - V1.0 gave us lesson scheduling, homework assignments, and some basic administrative features. When we moved to V2.0, we built in instant messaging for teachers and students, attendance, billing and automated SMS capabilities among other things. 

The newest version is a soup to nuts makeover including all of the old features and a boatload of new ones, like an interactive whiteboard, a complete accounting system, and a system for developing our own interactive lesson media so we can migrate away from using course books, work books, etc., and do everything online. This includes students using tablets in the classrooms in place of the paper books. Although the course media development will be ongoing, when finished, we should be about 98% paperless!

I'll also be working on my other projects with Diego, Theresa and others, but the school site is my priority (or my wife will skin me alive). 

On a personal note, I'm walking every night (pushing the baby in her stroller) about 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) and working my way up to 5K. It's paying off - I've lost 5 kilos (11 ilbs) and my wife set a stretch goal of 30 more lbs for me :( My goal was to lose twenty lbs, but she thinks big, LOL. The main thing is the back pain is slowly tapering off as the weight comes off and I strengthen my lower back (whole bunch of exercises for that). It's difficult, excruciatingly painful therapy but I'm sucking it up and pushing myself through it...

My progress goal for August is to stop adding to my progress goals! :)  

I have made so much progress the last two months despite the ridiculous distractions.  However, each time I start really moving forward, I see even more gaps I should have filled, too.  So, until these things are done (which will be my progress), I am not going to take on any more projects!  

LOL.. I did forget one more goal for August.  I'm going to learn how to use a chainsaw!  *and how to type with my nose, just in case*. :huh:

2 hours ago, Khemosabi said:

LOL.. I did forget one more goal for August.  I'm going to learn how to use a chainsaw!  *and how to type with my nose, just in case*. :huh:

You owe me a new keyboard! I splorphed coffee all over this one! :lol:

4 hours ago, Khemosabi said:

My progress goal for August is to stop adding to my progress goals! :)  

I have made so much progress the last two months despite the ridiculous distractions.  However, each time I start really moving forward, I see even more gaps I should have filled, too.  So, until these things are done (which will be my progress), I am not going to take on any more projects!  

Using a chainsaw is easy, but doing this is freaking amazing.

5 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

I wouldn't even consider attempting something like that.

My trees I want down aren't between two houses, they are just are over my house, lol!

I don't blame you one bit though! I was just messing with ya!

We're in the process of getting estimates now. 

Terra

The chainsaw challenge!  It's actually something I've wanted to learn for a while.   Girl can't have enough skills under her belt, right?  

Um, you all will keep this a secret, right?  My husband won't let me use the chainsaw... something about dangerous, me being clumsy and then the vein in his forehead starts popping out.  

Yay!  I finally got one of the blogs up that I've been working on.  This included the auto responder to the newsletter too!  Today I'll be adding a few more things to it like links to my products.  I also need to add on a few affiliate links.  

I was really dreading this process (no idea why), but now that it's done and I'm through the learning curve I'm excited about getting the others set up and running!  

My next big hurdle is learning how to write a decent sales letter.  

On 8/2/2017 at 3:00 AM, Khemosabi said:

The chainsaw challenge!  It's actually something I've wanted to learn for a while.   Girl can't have enough skills under her belt, right?  

Um, you all will keep this a secret, right?  My husband won't let me use the chainsaw... something about dangerous, me being clumsy and then the vein in his forehead starts popping out.  

learning how to use a small chainsaw is no big deal, (l used to live on a farm, and had to use one for firewood) golden rule is, this thing is frickin dangerous,and could put a shark bite to shame, so double check everything and never, ever, rush it.

But for me, phew, pretty dead at the moment, looks like most of the civilized world is on holidays?

Creative Market hasn't sold anything for a month, eventhough l have over 100 flyers on it, and Graphicriver has still done well, but has stalled for the last few days.

But l sold 10 more last month than projected, so only need another 11 sales for this one, to keep on schedule.

But l have also cleaned up a text error on a lot of those 100 flyers on CM, and improved the format for the GR ones, so l suspect that when Sep, rolls up and everything gets back to normal, it will be better than normal?

At the moment l am doing Halloween ones, since it might take a good part of a month to do as many as l can, and l need to complete them at least 6 weeks beforehand, to take full advantage.

Then l will probably go screaming into the night after March, (one year) or go on a holiday, (hopefully the holiday one).

^_^

Shane, around here, in the U.S., it's back to school time, or get ready for back to school.  Even when we had brick and mortar businesses, August and September were ALWAYS slow.  What makes things worse around here, is I know that most businesses are gearing up for winter.  Meaning, sales have dwindled down and everyone in this area is going to prepare to hibernate!  Money isn't really coming in right now and they're spending their money on back to school and the upcoming holidays.  They don't think about business right now... but they should be!  

I'm focusing on what people are spending their money on right now.  For instance, one of my client's is a landscaper.  I know his work is going to dwindle down plus hunting season is coming up and you can't even find the guy.  :angry:  However, in the winter, he does snow plowing and sells firewood on the side.  I advertise him in grocery stores, feed stores, anything local, plus on the internet.  There's more, but you get the idea.  These people need flyers!  I make him pay me for the flyer design and the stamps (I mail out to Realtors) and the time spent hanging the flyers at local businesses.  

Halloween is a great time to make a flyer for a flyer!  People have parties!  Post your work at the costume stores/party stores and don't forget the pumpkin patches.  (If you have them?).... I'm sure they're full of deadly spiders... lol!  

It's also getting close enough to start advertising flyers for Christmas parties and such.  

Just some ideas for you.  :)

9 hours ago, Khemosabi said:

Shane, around here, in the U.S., it's back to school time, or get ready for back to school.  Even when we had brick and mortar businesses, August and September were ALWAYS slow.  What makes things worse around here, is I know that most businesses are gearing up for winter.  Meaning, sales have dwindled down and everyone in this area is going to prepare to hibernate!  Money isn't really coming in right now and they're spending their money on back to school and the upcoming holidays.  They don't think about business right now... but they should be!  

I'm focusing on what people are spending their money on right now.  For instance, one of my client's is a landscaper.  I know his work is going to dwindle down plus hunting season is coming up and you can't even find the guy.  :angry:  However, in the winter, he does snow plowing and sells firewood on the side.  I advertise him in grocery stores, feed stores, anything local, plus on the internet.  There's more, but you get the idea.  These people need flyers!  I make him pay me for the flyer design and the stamps (I mail out to Realtors) and the time spent hanging the flyers at local businesses.  

Halloween is a great time to make a flyer for a flyer!  People have parties!  Post your work at the costume stores/party stores and don't forget the pumpkin patches.  (If you have them?).... I'm sure they're full of deadly spiders... lol!  

It's also getting close enough to start advertising flyers for Christmas parties and such.  

Just some ideas for you.  :)

Yes, good points, Khemosabi, but l do also get quite a few sales of non US countries, but even at my pace it still takes time to do a lot of flyers for seasonal events.

I have the rest of the year mapped out to take full advantage of Xmas, Halloween and New Years, (l have a lot of Xmas graphics) and have to start with Halloween now, to finish them before the 6 week limit comes up, (flyers usually start selling 6 weeks beforehand).

Lol, yes pumpkins, gold spiders, bats and plenty of cobwebs, makes a welcome change from surfboards, and sand.

^_^

Ran into a major snag on the project I'm doing with Diego but am confident that the problem will be resolved in the next 24 hours or I'll die trying, LOL. 

I've had to slack off a bit on the project with Theresa, mainly due to the urgency of getting the EFL school platform back up and running, but am getting back on track finally. Fortunately, Theresa is a very, very patient and understanding person to work with :wub:

I've just hit the 20 lb mark on my weight loss program and am doing 5K a day (a little over 3 miles) pushing a stroller. My back is feeling AWESOME and am sticking to the therapy - well worth every moment of pain to reach this point.

Time for a beer to celebrate :D

1 hour ago, BIG Mike said:

Ran into a major snag on the project I'm doing with Diego

YSSOABYDDAK!!!  :lol:

1 hour ago, BIG Mike said:

Theresa is a very, very patient and understanding person to work with

Everyone here knows you're fibbing BIG Mike.  But, I super appreciate you saying this without spraying your keyboard with beer! :)  

I made some huge progress this week!  I have two of my products ALMOST ready to launch!  AND, I have been fighting the rebuild of my main website but I think I have that stinker conquered!  There have been a ton of distractions lately but I've been handling them, one dumbass at a time!  

Now that the smoke has cleared from all the fires around us, and the heatwave has passed, I'm going outside to play each day, too!  

On 8/14/2017 at 6:34 PM, Khemosabi said:

I made some huge progress this week!  I have two of my products ALMOST ready to launch!  AND, I have been fighting the rebuild of my main website but I think I have that stinker conquered!  There have been a ton of distractions lately but I've been handling them, one dumbass at a time!  

Now that the smoke has cleared from all the fires around us, and the heatwave has passed, I'm going outside to play each day, too!  

Yays! So happy to hear this! :lol:

Dang it!  Couple of roadblocks but I powered through them.. LOL.. (that's what I'm telling myself).  They did motivate me to get a project done that I have been stalling on.  In doing so, I picked up a new client (ish), I think she's a one-off, but I'm sending her more information just in case!

While August has been a really strange month, it's pushed me to get the mess on my desk cleaned up.  Except for the cat.  The cat stays. :lol:

UPDATE:

I have failed utterly and completely, LOL! :lol:

There! It felt good to say it!

I didn't get my third book completed at all! My son's fiance' came in from the Philippines and they both stayed at my house. All last week I helped with the wedding plans and getting invitations out, etc. No time for writing at all.

And now, I have my back surgery tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. and won't be released until Friday. Then there are all of the restrictions I have to adhere to. Then September 2nd is the wedding and reception at my house.

Nope, don't see me finishing the 3rd book in the series any time soon. I will get it finished, just not this month, lol!

Terra