Sign in to follow this  
100DegreesC

Huge drop in AdSense earnings

I'm not sure how many people in here use AdSense, or if anyone does. If anyone does utilize AdSense, have you seen a drop-off in CPC? I'm not talking a small variation. I mean a drop of like 50% or more. 

Looks like it started between the 5th and 6th of this month.

I don't do a lot with AdSense, but I have never seen a drop like this.

It is just the earnings per click. Traffic and clicks are pretty steady.

Not sure if Google made some change to how much advertisers pay or if something changed with the ads displaying on my sites. I find it hard to believe it has anything to do with the ads. I'm seeing the same drop across 4 websites that are in completely unrelated niches.

Looks like it is a known error.

https://www.seroundtable.com/cpc-drops-google-adsense-publishers-24272.html

It's odd though. Seems that a few AdWords advertisers figured a way to get cheap clicks through some sort of loophole, but it apparently was felt by so many AdSense publishers. It doesn't make sense that it was just a few advertisers. I feel like it would have to be hundreds or even thousands of them for there to be so many reports of an earnings dip. And it would have to be coordinated among them all for everyone to see the same thing starting on August 5th.

It doesn't quite add up, but it looks like Google is working on fixes. 

Wow.

So Barry reported more details on this today.

https://www.seroundtable.com/details-google-adsense-ad-buyer-exploit-24298.html

Someone figured out how to display ads without them being clickable. You would think that Google's system would be setup to not allow that. Then they set their bids sky high. They were outbidding everyone, but they didn't care because they would never pay for a click. The ads had a URL in them for people to visit. They were just going for as many eyeballs as they could reach.

I would never have even thought of such a thing because I would have just assumed that Google's system would prevent having an ad that is not clickable. Someone was sleeping at the wheel on that one.