Sign in to follow this  
Jason K

Is It Wrong To Help Prospects Feel Uncomfortable?

"Taking control is all about creating constructive tension." ~Matthew Dixon and Brent Adamson in The Challenger Sale

How does this statement make you feel? Are you comfortable letting your prospect be uncomfortable for their own good?

Like Claude said, it depends on what you are making them uncomfortable about.

If I'm a roofer and at a home where the roof is on the verge of collapse, yeah, I'd make the homeowner uncomfortable about not doing something about it.

At the same time, I'm not going to say things like, "I have never replaced a roof like yours. I think I can probably figure it out though." Now they are uncomfortable about their roof situation, but also uncomfortable that I am the right person to remedy it.

On 9/19/2017 at 2:55 PM, Jason K said:
"Taking control is all about creating constructive tension." ~Matthew Dixon and Brent Adamson in The Challenger Sale

How does this statement make you feel? Are you comfortable letting your prospect be uncomfortable for their own good?

Nope, and I never would - the client may have a bad situation, but I'm not going to make it worse...I'm going to educate them and get them thinking positively about the problem as well as come up with a number of awesome, potential solutions. 

Simple analogy of what I mean:

My car (a Hyundai Santa Fe) is 11 years old and has roughly 25K miles on it - it's in excellent condition as we really don't drive it all that much. It still has the original tires and, while they're in good shape, I mentioned to my wife that I would be replacing them in the next month or so. 

Six years ago, when we took the car into the dealer for its annual service, the manager of the service department tried to convince my wife we needed new tires. Bear in mind, I check the car over religiously myself and I know what good or bad tires are. 

So my wife freaked out because the sales manager noticed the car seat we had and made comments to her like, "Ma'am, I hate to say this but you're risking your baby's life on those old tires" (they were 5 years old with 12K miles on them). 

End result? I have a friend of mine who owns a repair shop and he gets all the work from us...