Sign in to follow this  
ShayB

How can you make $100 a day?

I always liked these threads at The Other Place because they really gave me some good ideas. I always learned a new way to earn money (even if it wasn't my cup of tea, it was still good to know).

So, here's the question: If you had to earn an extra $100 a day, how would you, personally, do so?

This may not be something a newbie could do, but something you can (and would choose to do if you needed an extra $100 a day for something).

For me, I like writing, so that would be my choice:

• Freelancing
  • Books/e-books
  • PLR if the mood struck me
  • Digital Magazine publishing

Anyone else want to chime in? :) 

(BTW - I am sick and under the influence of cold meds, so I may be posting a lot today.)

Create a few thousand flyers!

No, seriously 2,3k should be able to generate that much, although all hub sites tend to have seriously dead times, lasting a month of so, so 3k plus, should be able to pull that off, if looked at over a year!

And l agree that this sort of post achieved great results elsewhere, so second's the charm.

B)

1 hour ago, Tagiscom said:

Create a few thousand flyers!

No, seriously 2,3k should be able to generate that much, although all hub sites tend to have seriously dead times, lasting a month of so, so 3k plus, should be able to pull that off, if looked at over a year!

And l agree that this sort of post achieved great results elsewhere, so second's the charm.

B)

I do not understand why everything comes back to flyers for you. You really need to start looking in new directions. 

4 hours ago, ShayB said:

I always liked these threads at The Other Place because they really gave me some good ideas. I always learned a new way to earn money (even if it wasn't my cup of tea, it was still good to know).

So, here's the question: If you had to earn an extra $100 a day, how would you, personally, do so?

This may not be something a newbie could do, but something you can (and would choose to do if you needed an extra $100 a day for something).

For me, I like writing, so that would be my choice:

• Freelancing
  • Books/e-books
  • PLR if the mood struck me
  • Digital Magazine publishing

Anyone else want to chime in? :) 

(BTW - I am sick and under the influence of cold meds, so I may be posting a lot today.)

I do some consulting work for sites I find. 

There are two types of agreements I come to with clients. We either do a straight one-off fee for the work (and they can contact me for further work down the road), OR...

I like to enter into marketing agreements with site owners. This is a little more complicated, and it is really not for someone new. I present it as a no-risk proposition. The key is to find a site that is stagnant in its growth and profit. This can be a bit tricky, and sometimes you almost just have to get lucky. I have not come up with a rock solid way to identify these sites yet. When I do find one, the basic agreement is this...

If they were making $XXXX per month the past 6 months, I take over the marketing of the site and going forward the site owner keeps $XXXX, but anything over that we split. Initially, I get 30% of the growth. They get the other 70%. At certain levels of growth, it triggers where I get more until we are at a 50/50 split. 

If I increase the profits of the site by 125% and maintain that level for 6 months, I become 50% or 51% owner of the site (that gets negotiated). At that point, the owner is making 25% more than they were before (and growing), so it really is not costing them anything. Now their profits are rising, so they are happy.

I generally only do this with sites that are making at least $10,000/month already, and EVERYTHING is signed. It's all legally binding. This isn't some handshake agreement. Get an attorney.

Getting a little more back on topic, there are sites out there, lots of them, that are just missing out on significantly higher profits. What I do with these sites when I get my hands on them is almost 100% onsite. Sometimes I will add some articles to target some low hanging fruit in search engines that I know the site will rank for without much work. A few internal links here and there. Most of it though is changing how it is monetized. Sometimes changing from an AdSense block to a credit card offer can take a page that was making $500/month to something making $1500/month.

Sometimes if you take a look at your own sites, you will find missed opportunities where you could make a few tweaks and make the $100/day you are talking about.

That can take some time and testing though and may not be what you are looking for.

In a pinch, I start reaching out for consulting work. One job will usually make me that much.

Because I like to keep busy, I've always found ways to do something that was a productive use of my time (profiting from it). Freelancing is always an easy way to generate extra cash, if you've got a skill set that's in demand and you can do the work to the client's satisfaction. 

Back in the mid 90's, when personal computers were really taking off, I had a brainstorm - since I was the "Go To" guy for technology professionally, I realized that there was huge potential in the home PC service market. In January 1995, I took out a small ad in the local Pennysaver and offered my services to install or repair computers for the low, low price of $25. The first day the ad appeared, I got my first four service calls. Bear in mind it was a cash business (no receipts, LOL). By the end of the first month, I had two friends helping me out (we split their fees) because I couldn't possibly keep up with the work. Overhead was fairly low - gas and time; most services calls took less than 30 minutes and no one balked at paying. 

Another one I did offline in the 90's - a friend of mine hooked me up with a little job cleaning the exterior of a corporate jet - it took about an hour, 3 days a week and we each picked up a $100 each time. The work was easy enough to do and was early in the morning (around 5 AM) so it didn't interfere with anything else I was doing. 

Back online, one of the things I started doing years ago is build a presence for local companies -  a five page website, hosted with domain registration and charge them 200 Euros a year. Most of them don't require anything more than domain renewal and the occasional update of staff or product names/details. These don't involve any SEO and all of them are .gr domains, so it's easy to find what they want. 

I also do document translations - 50 Euros a page from Greek to English or vice-versa; I'm a popular translator here simply because of my scientific background, and I often have to turn work away. 

I think if anyone really wants to and they're willing to work, there are plenty of opportunities available, or you make an opportunity for yourself :D

On 9/29/2017 at 2:12 PM, BIG Mike said:

Another one I did offline in the 90's - a friend of mine hooked me up with a little job cleaning the exterior of a corporate jet - it took about an hour, 3 days a week and we each picked up a $100 each time. The work was easy enough to do and was early in the morning (around 5 AM) so it didn't interfere with anything else I was doing. 

Just curious how big was the Jet and what did you use to wash it. Did that include just the wash or did you clean glass ? I take it, waxing the jet was not part of it.

7 hours ago, dwolfe said:

Just curious how big was the Jet and what did you use to wash it. Did that include just the wash or did you clean glass ? I take it, waxing the jet was not part of it.

It was on the small side and the wash was just the exterior - mainly the carbon buildup around the engines. No idea what the chemical was, but it was fed through a pressure washer and we used something like push brooms to scrub the body. No windows, no wax - and now that I think of it, we only did the lower half and never the wings. 

I have a couple of pretty responsive email lists in a few different niches. They are not huge lists, but sizable.

I would look around at products and services I have been using recently but have never promoted to one or more of those lists (and of course makes sense for the niche). 

Then I'd write up a "why you need this" or "features and benefits" type of article for one or more of those products and post them on the appropriate website of mine. 

Next a teaser email would be sent out to the appropriate lists.

If one of those services happens to be a recurring service where I can collect a commission month after month, even better. 

Listing services is a useful way to think about making $100/day. 

But have a look at what I have to say here and see how it resonates with you.

You need two things to make money: Traffic and Conversion.

The services can help you decide what speed you want to run at because of the price you feel comfortable charging for them; $100 for a custom-written article or $5 for an ebook or $27 for a PLR package or whatever.

Traffic and Conversion are what you need to know to get to your money target consistently, though.

See, I can offer article writing all day long, but if I have zero traffic for it that offer is useless to me.

I might do better with the PLR pack (just as an example). If I have 10 people a day asking me for PLR, then I can do something with that. If I know where to go where I can generate those 10 leads a day I can turn that traffic into revenue.

If I'm starting completely from scratch, then I have to decide which offer I want to concentrate on for awhile. At least a month. You have to put in some consistent effort to work things out in a funnel...then once that one is ticking along on autopilot you're free to move on to the next one.

So let's say I like the idea of selling some kind of marketing report. This means I do the work ONCE and get paid for it repeatedly (me like). I find a problem or problems people admit to having, and tell me are serious enough they're willing to part with cash to solve them. I research and write my report.

Now comes the Conversion part. I write my sales letter and put it on a web page. I could do a video sales letter instead, or even drive calls to close them live if I wanted. That's all Conversion. But again, I want EASY--once and done, not rework, rework, rework.

I go to somewhere I know can get me clicks. Those are leads. Leads are how we count Traffic. A forum is a place you can get leads. So are Facebook groups. You can think of others.

After awhile it will be clear, if I'm tracking--and I am--how many leads I'll get every day based on the posting effort I put in. I could get these leads by phone prospecting, solo ads (if I was willing to pay), other kinds of advertising, a YouTube video or ten; I'm sure you can think of more. Some cost money and some do not.

I'm always thinking about Traffic and Conversion.

I get 5 leads a day in my first week, while I'm figuring out what works. That is likely not enough to hit my money target: let's assume a $15 price tag so to get to $100 a day I need 7 sales. I keep working.

Which takes us to this quick aside: most newbies try to combine Traffic and Conversion into a single step. Big mistake. You must learn to do one, then the other. They're separate skill sets. First learn to drive qualified traffic...then learn to convert some of that traffic into sales.

My 5 leads a day may yield one sale if I'm very lucky and my Conversion tool is effective (that's a 20% conversion ratio.)

I look at my numbers again now that I have some reality. I realize the amount of traffic I'm going to need is more like 7 sales at a 5% conversion ratio = 140 leads.

Where am I going to get those 140 leads?

Which takes us to my second aside: Most sellers are beaten before they start. In the many years I've been doing funnel consulting calls, people consistently underestimate or simply have no idea how much traffic they really need. They almost always have way too little, don't know it, and will never hit their money target (however vaguely they've stated that target.)

The 140 makes me gulp.

It's a big number. I have to engineer this: where am I going to get those 140 leads a day to ensure I have my $100 at the end?

Some from YouTube...some from my website which gets a little traffic...some from forum posting...some from FB posting...all free sources which is all I can afford right now as I'm just getting started. Later on I can reinvest into some paid advertising, but that has its own learning curve too, and changes the equation because that advertising costs...meaning I have to make sure my $100 profit at the end of the day is covered by raising my total revenue needed. The paid ads cost $50, say, so now I have to earn $150 in revenue...which means more sales, which means more leads.

I have set that 5% as a conservative conversion figure. Pretty sure that most of the people clicking over will have a need for what I'm offering based on where I am marketing. After awhile I will have real data accumulated that I can compare against this number. Then I can make some decisions. Is it much higher than 5%? Then I adjust my T+C numbers. I don't need as many leads...or maybe I can raise my money target. Is it a lot lower than 5%? Then I need to make changes to my conversion tool, assuming I'm getting those 140 leads a day over there.

This is how to think like a marketer. Not "let me offer something and see what happens." You have to engineer this stuff. This is funnel development.

Traffic and Conversion.

1. How many sales do you want, to hit that money target?
  2. What conversion ratio do you expect?
  3. And what number of leads does that come out to you requiring?
  4. Where will you get those leads?
  5. What activity level does that require of you?

This is what you need to know and do. Estimate to begin with, gather real data, then measure planned vs actual performance to see where you need to make changes.

Yes, there's a little math. Marketers need to count.

You may do the exercise and discover the $15 price tag makes it too slow to hit your money target. This is why people move up to the $100 article order as their offer choice. Now I only need to make one sale (actually I would price it at $110 or $120.) Now I need far fewer leads but I am doing more custom work, aren't I. That's the tradeoff in this situation.

How does this change your thinking about what to offer, your marketing, and your activity level?

On 9/26/2017 at 1:29 PM, Wunderkind said:

I do not understand why everything comes back to flyers for you. You really need to start looking in new directions. 

I agree with Wunderkind, Shane. You have other talents that you are good at and you really should branch out. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you do! :)

Terra

On 10/8/2017 at 8:05 PM, Jason K said:

Listing services is a useful way to think about making $100/day. 

<snip>

How does this change your thinking about what to offer, your marketing, and your activity level?

Jason, nice post and please - my comments are not intended to step on your toes, just a counterpoint to what you're talking about. 

First off, the numbers always look great on paper, but hardly ever genuinely reflect what's going on in the real world with a given person/situation. That said, I do agree that Traffic and Conversions are critical - but for someone starting out, let alone even more experienced folks, a 20% conversion is, in my opinion, probably unrealistic. 

On 10/8/2017 at 8:05 PM, Jason K said:

You may do the exercise and discover the $15 price tag makes it too slow to hit your money target. This is why people move up to the $100 article order as their offer choice. Now I only need to make one sale (actually I would price it at $110 or $120.) Now I need far fewer leads but I am doing more custom work, aren't I. That's the tradeoff in this situation.

While I don't have any problems selling anything at a higher rate, I think it merits consideration about moving in the opposite direction as well - lowering the rate and focusing on bulk sales rather than hoping to find that one lead every day willing to part with $110 or so. 

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that I decide to drop the price to $5 per unit - sure, I need to sell 20 units now, but that lower price is going to increase conversions. Since I've already prepared the material, it's not going to cost me anything more to process one sale or 20 - but the hidden benefit is that I'm adding 20 buyers to my list as opposed to one, at $100 whom I'm going to have to do additional work for. 

Now, with my next offer, I'm going to focus on the list first and then the leads from other sources - eventually, I'll build a reasonably sized list of known buyers and concentrate on the Lifetime Customer Value each of those buyers represent. In other words, I'm not going to keep chasing after unproven leads, especially when I can focus on more sales. 

I used to have this argument with folks over at the WF, but honestly? I proved again and again that a lower price point again volume sales provides a greater reach. Now, if you have access to leads (most don't) willing to spend more on higher ticket items, that's all well and good. However, that lower price point considerably broadens your reach and builds a stable business model that practically eliminates the need to chase down new leads. 

Again, this is just my opinion and it's a model that has been incredibly successful for me over the years. 

And to be fair, locally, I do  offer a very expensive, high ticket service, which I market to those looking for proven quality and exclusive access. I know that I am far more expensive than my competitors, yet I have a waiting list that's presently at 18 months. Under the right conditions, this model works exceptionally well - but for the newbies out there, I always guide them towards the lower end first. 

8 hours ago, Terra said:

I agree with Wunderkind, Shane. You have other talents that you are good at and you really should branch out. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you do! :)

Terra

True Terra, l did look into outsourcing or give someone my 70 flyers on GR, and tell them to convert it all to CD templates.

But it would have costed a lot for a trickle profit, so that idea is shelved.

Thankfully CM, is coming good again, and l have found a way of doing flyers, super fast. So l am looking forward to trying that out soon.

But l get where you and others are coming from, but unfortunately my trick does not translate well to other products.

But l still do fonts

B)

9 hours ago, Tagiscom said:

True Terra, l did look into outsourcing or give someone my 70 flyers on GR, and tell them to convert it all to CD templates.

But it would have costed a lot for a trickle profit, so that idea is shelved.

Thankfully CM, is coming good again, and l have found a way of doing flyers, super fast. So l am looking forward to trying that out soon.

But l get where you and others are coming from, but unfortunately my trick does not translate well to other products.

But l still do fonts

B)

Um, Shane.... I think what Terra and Wunderkind were talking about is taking your mad graphic skills and branching out.  There's a TON (me included) of people out there that need someone reliable to do some graphics for them.  I AM NOT A GRAPHIC DESIGNER! .. but I find myself doing them all the time.  I would much rather have someone do them for me so I can offer a better product for my clients.  AND.... wait for it......

Many of the things I need are............. FLYERS!  Tada!  

2 hours ago, Khemosabi said:

Um, Shane.... I think what Terra and Wunderkind were talking about is taking your mad graphic skills and branching out.  There's a TON (me included) of people out there that need someone reliable to do some graphics for them.  I AM NOT A GRAPHIC DESIGNER! .. but I find myself doing them all the time.  I would much rather have someone do them for me so I can offer a better product for my clients.  AND.... wait for it......

Many of the things I need are............. FLYERS!  Tada!  

Ok, fair enough, but CM and GR have thousands of flyers, for $6-$9 each, whereby the quality at GR is high, as each flyer is reviewed, and believe me they won't let a blurry image or uncentered object through, CM less so.

The only thing that is labour intensive is changing the text to the clients needs, and a kid at Fiverr could do that?

B)

58 minutes ago, Tagiscom said:

Ok, fair enough, but CM and GR have thousands of flyers, for $6-$9 each, whereby the quality at GR is high, as each flyer is reviewed, and believe me they won't let a blurry image or uncentered object through, CM less so.

The only thing that is labour intensive is changing the text to the clients needs, and a kid at Fiverr could do that?

B)

Not to derail this thread, but...

You keep defending this business model.

So what is holding you back? You have been going on about this flyers nonsense for like 2 years now. 

I'm sorry, but I just don't see much money in that. Most people who need flyers are just going to do something simple themselves and take it to the local copy store.

Larger businesses that need really professional flyers done are likely already working with a marketing firm that does graphic design for them.

On the kind of sites you are talking about, customers are going there for one reason. It's price. You are always going to be stuck competing with someone willing to do the work for very cheap. Unless you are living in a 3rd world country or near 3rd world country, you can't make any significant profit that way.

You are always going to be just barely scraping by with it. 

10 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

Thank you Wunderkind!  That was my whole point!  

I've seen Shane's work and he's really talented, but he is and will remain stuck in the fiverr world.  

Myself, I hate doing graphics (I mentioned that.. lol), but I don't have the time, nor energy, to go chasing down a graphic designer on fiverr.  Nor would I want to.  

So, here I am, with very little skills, making a nice chunk of money (at times), for doing something Shane could be doing for me and I could scale up and produce more income, ergo, Shane as well.  

**Note to Shane**  I don't do shit for 9 bucks and I SUCK at this.  

20 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

I'm sorry, but I just don't see much money in that. Most people who need flyers are just going to do something simple themselves and take it to the local copy store.

^^^ This!    

1 hour ago, Tagiscom said:

B)

Crap All Mighty Shane!  

Have you any idea that your skills can take you so much further?  

You rely on two companies (who I am assuming), take a commission for your sales to do your marketing.  You belong to two of the best forums around (this one has more quality help and people willing to help), yet you refuse to learn how to market yourself.  You have a built in customer base trying to give you money, my husband included, and you refuse(d) the business!!!  

23 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

Not to derail this thread, but...

You keep defending this business model.

So what is holding you back? You have been going on about this flyers nonsense for like 2 years now. 

Larger businesses that need really professional flyers done are likely already working with a marketing firm that does graphic design for them.

On the kind of sites you are talking about, customers are going there for one reason. It's price. You are always going to be stuck competing with someone willing to do the work for very cheap. Unless you are living in a 3rd world country or near 3rd world country, you can't make any significant profit that way.

True, that l am competing with others for $6 or more, and also true that most of my competitors, usually do 2 a week, or it would take them 10 years for 1k a month.

No one to my knowledge does flyers for less than $6, apart from bundles and getting rid of crap stock.

And l am or have been doing it for the last few months, or have been averaging 13 a week, (currently at 300+) or 1o years goes down to 1.

And they have sold quite well, apart from CM's 2 month lull.

I have based sale projections on previous years sales, and overall it has been pretty accurate!

22 hours ago, Khemosabi said:

Crap All Mighty Shane!  

Have you any idea that your skills can take you so much further?  

You rely on two companies (who I am assuming), take a commission for your sales to do your marketing.  You belong to two of the best forums around (this one has more quality help and people willing to help), yet you refuse to learn how to market yourself.  You have a built in customer base trying to give you money, my husband included, and you refuse(d) the business!!!  

I appreciate that Khem.., but flyer sales all come down to sheer numbers, the more you have the more you make.

There are unexpected lulls on both platforms, but overall sales remain constant.

And l appreciate your angle, but l know of others who freelance,and there are times it does well, and other times it doesn't.

Sure flyers is no different, but if one platform goes quiet, it can be recovered.

B)

3 minutes ago, Tagiscom said:

True, that l am competing with others for $6 or more, and also true that most of my competitors, usually do 2 a week, or it would take them 10 years for 1k a month.

No one to my knowledge does flyers for less than $6, apart from bundles and getting rid of crap stock.

And l am or have been doing it for the last few months, or have been averaging 13 a week, (currently at 300+) or 1o years goes down to 1.

And they have sold quite well, apart from CM's 2 month lull.

I have based sale projections on previous years sales, and overall it has been pretty accurate.

I appreciate that Khem.., but flyer sales all come down to sheer numbers, the more you have the more you make.

There are unexpected lulls on both platforms, but overall sales remain constant.

And l appreciate your angle, but l know of others who freelance,and there are times it does well, and other times it doesn't.

Sure flyers is no different, but if one platform goes quiet, it can be recovered.

B)

I'm just shaking my head Shane.  

The 'other freelancers you know', do they know how to market themselves outside of junk pay?  Are they willing to LET GO of their blocked beliefs and actually think they CAN get a lot more revenue based on their talents? ... You're not listening.  

So now, I'm going to spell it out for you.  

I have a SHIT load of work on my plate and would love your help/skills to make things go faster for me.  It's EASY WORK SHANE!  And, most importantly, IT'S ONGOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Imagine that!  

This forum has the BEST of the BEST in their members who can/will help you market yourself and you choose to ignore all advice.  You fight it, argue it and go on about your day.  

I wish you the best Shane.  

On 10/9/2017 at 3:08 PM, BIG Mike said:

And to be fair, locally, I do  offer a very expensive, high ticket service, which I market to those looking for proven quality and exclusive access. I know that I am far more expensive than my competitors, yet I have a waiting list that's presently at 18 months. Under the right conditions, this model works exceptionally well - but for the newbies out there, I always guide them towards the lower end first. 

When I first started out, I did HotSheets, and did them for several years. (Short reports: One problem, one solution, 20 pages or less). The biz model was awesome, and I have a few HotSheets that I haven't sold yet, but have them ready for the right time. (I sold them for 5 bucks.) 

It's also something a Newbie can do. Everyone knows something that someone else will pay to learn. 

I used to work with a lot of moms who wanted to MMO, and they would say "but I don't know anything that someone would pay to learn!"

I'd ask:

• Do you know how to help a baby with colic? (How many parents pacing the floor with a colicky kid at 4 AM would pay 10 bucks to learn how to make it better?)
  • How about getting rid of head lice? (Icky, but a very real problem that people will pay to get relief from, and it happens every school year.)
  • How about breastfeeding tips?
  • How about dealing with 2, 3, 4+ kiddos? (Organization tips, etc.)
  • How about a craft? (Cross stitch, decoupage, basket weaving)
  • How about organizing a garage sale?

These are all ideas that moms (and others) can make good money with if they create a short report and sell it for a few bucks (or more). It's a quick exercise to show people that they really do have knowledge that other people will pay for.

On 10/10/2017 at 10:09 AM, Tagiscom said:

B)

The best selling item on Graphic River is selling Powerpoint Slides (here) and has 19,754 sales at $15 each, first went on sale in 2015.

The best selling flyer on Graphic River (here) has 2,505 sales at $6 each, first went on sale in 2011 (4 years before the Powerpoint Slides).

Granted the Powerpoint item is a massive bundle (bundles sell) but my point is those slides were all made in Photoshop just like your flyers and sell for 2.5 times more money with higher demand. I know Envato is tough on approving stuff but it might be better money from the same skills to at least test it.

34 minutes ago, yukon said:

The best selling item on Graphic River is selling Powerpoint Slides (here) and has 19,754 sales at $15 each, first went on sale in 2015.

The best selling flyer on Graphic River (here) has 2,505 sales at $6 each, first went on sale in 2011 (4 years before the Powerpoint Slides).

Granted the Powerpoint item is a massive bundle (bundles sell) but my point is those slides were all made in Photoshop just like your flyers and sell for 2.5 times more money with higher demand. I know Envato is tough on approving stuff but it might be better money from the same skills to at least test it.

Yes, good points, but the powerpoints require a lot more effort than a flyer does, and also requires significant investment into graphic elements, so something to keep in mind.

And the best selling flyers, was clearly done by someone who put a lot of money into external traffic, (GR is primary Adwords driven traffic).

https://graphicriver.net/user/design-cloud/portfolio?page=1

This one is primary flyers, and has sold over 11k, and yes he started in 2012, but he has over 200 flyers, l currently have 70, as well as over 150 on CM, (which sells almost as well as GR).

My best seller to date is a wedding one, and a Mothers Day one, which have sold at almost 40 sales each, or $160 each, and they continue to sell each year by themselves!

I have seen newbies do basic designs, with sales to match, but on GR the customer can buy a basic looking one, (usually for $9) or a high end one, for $6.

Most will buy high end, since it takes years of experience to create a beautiful flyer, since it usually involves lighting affects, a good eye for perspective, balance of elements, tension between elements and so forth.

B)