Sign in to follow this  
Mike Friedman

Twitter Increasing Character Limit

I'm surprised I have not seen much on forums about this or in the media. 

Twitter is testing increasing the character limit in Tweets from 140 characters to 280 characters.

http://mashable.com/2017/09/26/twitter-character-count-280-test/#E8pRA8CLpaqR

Considering how popular Twitter is, it is a pretty big deal.

They have rolled it out for a test group, and no President Tweets-Too-Much was not included in the test group.

I cannot imagine that it won't go live for everyone before too long.

I have Twitter and love Twitter. I think the change is a good one. ADN already had a 256 character limit from the beginning, so I'm used to that freedom. I miss it. LOL (Sadly, ADN is no longer around.)

I logged in there tonight and found I had about 800 plus followers and was following around 900 people. The latter surprised me because I didn't recognize most of the names, so I unfollowed all of them (actually, I paid my daughter to go through the list and click unfollow, LOL).  

22 hours ago, ShayB said:

I have Twitter and love Twitter. I think the change is a good one. ADN already had a 256 character limit from the beginning, so I'm used to that freedom. I miss it. LOL (Sadly, ADN is no longer around.)

I was just about to go look for ADN until I kept reading.

I must have missed that one.

On 10/2/2017 at 11:26 AM, Mike Friedman said:

I was just about to go look for ADN until I kept reading.

I must have missed that one.

It was mostly for techies. (I was invited by someone who is very much a techie.) Lots of programmers, app designers, video game designers, etc.

(Many of the conversations were way over my head. LOL)

I remember seeing someone a few years ago predict that eventually the character limit would go away or go to something much larger like 1200 characters, but we would get a few incremental increases first.

6 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

I remember seeing someone a few years ago predict that eventually the character limit would go away or go to something much larger like 1200 characters, but we would get a few incremental increases first.

I "Think" the character limit was originally tied to the length of SMS messages, which can now be something like 1,600 characters or more...

1 hour ago, BIG Mike said:

I "Think" the character limit was originally tied to the length of SMS messages, which can now be something like 1,600 characters or more...

That would make sense.