Mike Friedman

Google drops 7-pack in favor of 3-pack

I noticed this discussion yesterday about the 7-pack going away.

I was hoping Barry would get some official announcement today from Google about it before I said anything. Have not seen anything official yet.

Every local search I do is showing just a 3-pack now. And there are NO phone numbers! I think that is a horrible change.

Big deal for local search.

This is the one time, where Google has made a change that I can honestly see the argument of them pushing people to AdWords. In AdWords, you can still list a phone number with ad extensions.

SEMrush

Definitely sucks.  I saw my main keyword go from #6 in the 7 pack to #26.  That keyword use to fluctuate from #3 to #6, and I never figured out how to get it to #1.  I had more citations and more links than position 2,3,4, and 5.

I've been watching this closely.

For 3 years I've been saying that Google will eventually get around to monetizing the Local ads.

Here's a thread from search engine land a week or so ago. http://searchengineland.com/google-home-services-ads-plumbers-locksmiths-san-francisco-beta-226469?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

If you Google "San Francisco locksmith" you will see that the local returns has a 3 pack almost identical to what we see with results that started showing nationwide yesterday. With the exception that these are sponsored ads. In other words those returns are being paid for.

I'm suspicious that this new local change we've seen is proceeding a nationwide change to the local ads being monetized across the board.

Maybe I'm being paranoid. But I just don't see how a corporation could leave money laying on the table forever. Some local business's get a ton of leads from their Google local ads... It only stands to reason that the big G would want a piece of that action in some form or another.

Oh dang, San Francisco locksmith it shows the 3 paid ads and no local at all. 

I thought they would have that at the top then the 3 pack. 

So I guess Local wont be so important in the near future.

Still, the 3 pack could have an upside - the organic results aren't pushed as far down the page now. 

I don't think it is much of a difference with the map at the top and as much white space as they added. Those 3 listings are probably taking about as much physical space as the old pack did.

Still, the 3 pack could have an upside - the organic results aren't pushed as far down the page now. 

I don't think it is much of a difference with the map at the top and as much white space as they added. Those 3 listings are probably taking about as much physical space as the old pack did.

I was looking at some results earlier - you're right about that, pretty much still below the fold for the organic listings. The ads have pride of place, though - as usual..