Sign in to follow this  
watman

best domain register

Hi All,

Noob question here, I've already used the search function and can't find any relevant posts. Which domain register would people recommend? I know that there is multiple options go daddy, etc. I've signed up for hosting with Edgeserv but would like to keep my registrations separate from my hosting. I'm UK based but unlikely to want to own a UK domain for marketing purposes.

Thanks in advance.

Watman

SEMrush

There is not a ton of difference between them. I like NameCheap because they give away privacy for free for the first year.

Some of the others like Network Solutions are much more expensive on renewals. 

Other than cost, there is not much difference. I would probably stick with NameCheap or GoDaddy just for the service. They are both pretty solid there. I would never use hosting from either one. They are both awful with hosting. I know some people do not like GoDaddy, but on the registrar side I have never had an issue with them. As far as hosting, I've wanted to reach through a phone and strangle them. 

There is not a ton of difference between them. I like NameCheap because they give away privacy for free for the first year.

Other than cost, there is not much difference. I would probably stick with NameCheap or GoDaddy just for the service. They are both pretty solid there. I would never use hosting from either one. They are both awful with hosting. I know some people do not like GoDaddy, but on the registrar side I have never had an issue with them. As far as hosting, I've wanted to reach through a phone and strangle them. 

who do you use for hosting?

There's a list inside the course material. These are a few. There is also a growing list of hosts to avoid.

A Small Orange

Hawk Host

Web Hosting Buzz

Stable Host (Use coupon code SPARTAN for 40% off)

Hostgator

Geek Storage

A Small Orange's cloud VPS hosting is probably my preferred host for money sites I really care about. This site is running on that.

Never have a domain registered and hosted at the same place. If you do, you are entirely at their mercy.

There's a list inside the course material. These are a few. There is also a growing list of hosts to avoid.

A Small Orange

Hawk Host

Web Hosting Buzz

Hostgator

Geek Storage

A Small Orange's cloud VPS hosting is probably my preferred host for money sites I really care about. This site is running on that.

Never have a domain registered and hosted at the same place. If you do, you are entirely at their mercy.

Ever used liquidweb?

I use liquid web. So far they have been great. Also hostwinds is awesome.

I've read good things about them but just wanted to double check. Getting more difficult to sift through just affiliate links and actual reviews that people leave on other sites.

A Small Orange

Hawk Host

Web Hosting Buzz

Hostgator

Geek Storage

Ever used liquidweb?

I have not used them before. 

Digital Ocean is another really good host, but you have to know how to setup the server yourself. 

I'm using Frog Host - which is a spinoff of hawk host.

They have a great business package which comes with one SSL cert included. Also my own IP address.

Before that I was on hostmonster (sister to bluehost) - which was actually great for their 24/7 phone support. They hiked pricing on me - wanted me to pay for each domain/site I had installed.  Plus I became comfortable enough to deal via email for support issues so I made the switch.

Try to figure out a list first. I know it's hard for some if you've never dealt with hosting before, but with some reading you can get a good idea of what you might need. Like mentioned above, do you need phone support? Have you played on a sample cpanel to see what that is like? Will you need an SSL cert? What countries are the servers in? How helpful is their support?

Took me over a month to figure out where I wanted to go when I'd decided to move. Froghost pulled all my stuff out of HM for me and got things running beautifully with no problems.

If you get something that gives you a free domain, I suggest you either decline it or make one up that you'd not be afraid of ditching down the road.