Blaine

Premium Hosting for WordPress

I'm going to build a new site for my business. Gonna dominate my city for SEO and Web Design. Do any of you have experience with so called "premium wordpress" hosting? Is there even a difference that matters?

I want it to be fast. I want it to be secure. I want it to be hassle free as possible. I don't mind paying a little extra. Got any ideas? Is premium wordpress hosting even worth the extra they charge?

I'm going to link to it from a lot of my other sites that I have spread out over several hosing companies and can't use any of them to host it. They're listed below.

Site5

A Small Orange

Blue Host

Host Gator

Goddady - don't hate me :P

Big Box Hosting

Web Hosting Pad

Ask For Host

Name Cheap

Koomo Host

Fat Cow

Any Ideas?

SEMrush

Wordpress hosting is really just a moneymaking scheme. There is nothing special about it. They are just using a popular buzzword to get customers.

If you want solid VPS hosting, I switched this site to Stable Host and have had nothing but a good experience with them.

I just setup another forum on VPS hosting with GeekStorage. They have also been great and easy to work with.

My only real complaint about either of them, and really just about every VPS host does this, is their pricing is a little misleading. If you want cpanel installed, you have to pay an extra fee on top of their monthly fee. Like I said, most hosting companies are doing this, but it is a bit irritating. 

I will look at stable host. I've checked them out before but it's been some time ago and for one reason or another I didn't use them. I was probably looking for something cheap for a pbn site.

Thanks for your thoughts.

It's crazy but I think I'm going to use the Avada theme for this site instead of my go to Genesis.

Always evolving :)

For this kind of sites I mostly have two options:

1. WPENGINE: It does have everything I need! Has it's own CDN network, daily backup, etc. And the most important thing amazing customer service.
  2. I get the space on a cloud server (like Digital Ocean) and setup the server from scratch, either manually (by installing PHP, MySQL, ...) or I use a service called Laravel Forge which provision all you need. Other cool feature about Laravel Forge, it makes easy to deploy your code from GitHub or Bitbucket. You can also easily install free SSL certificate from Letsencrypt. Here is  a tutorial about how to install Wordpress by Forge: https://sunnysingh.io/blog/running-wordpress-on-laravel-forge.

Hope it helps :)

Wordpress hosting is really just a moneymaking scheme. There is nothing special about it. They are just using a popular buzzword to get customers.

If you want solid VPS hosting, I switched this site to Stable Host and have had nothing but a good experience with them.

I just setup another forum on VPS hosting with GeekStorage. They have also been great and easy to work with.

My only real complaint about either of them, and really just about every VPS host does this, is their pricing is a little misleading. If you want cpanel installed, you have to pay an extra fee on top of their monthly fee. Like I said, most hosting companies are doing this, but it is a bit irritating. 

I always give VPS providers a call, I figure if I'm going to give them 600-1200$+ a year of my money then I'll let them explain it to me. If I get some guy located in the wrong continent I just move on. You shouldn't get any AIG hosts if you follow that advice as far as I know. Another thing some of them do is rape you if you want extra IPs. Seriously 10$ a month for a second IP? Why... The entire point of a VPS is that you can do whatever you want, if I want 10 sites each with their own IP, I should be able to do that without getting robbed. Some people do all kinds of weird and crazy things with VPS accounts like setup game servers, setup tunnels to hide the location of their servers, or run ebay sniping bots.

Wordpress hosting is really just a moneymaking scheme. There is nothing special about it.

I'd debate you on this. Well, sort of.

There are hosts that optimize their servers for use with Wordpress. You can read about it on wordpress actually.

You can also (if you are technical enough and have the right kind of hosting to begin with) optimize your own host for it as well.

https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Optimization/Server_Optimization

Having said that, I've not gone that route personally at this time.

As for "secure" there are ways to set things up in the beginning that can help. Things to know - like don't use the easy one click install thing. Use security plugins from the start. If you're planning on collecting client data, use an SSL cert. I want to say you get extra google points for using the SSL cert too.

I'd debate you on this. Well, sort of.

There are hosts that optimize their servers for use with Wordpress. You can read about it on wordpress actually.

You can also (if you are technical enough and have the right kind of hosting to begin with) optimize your own host for it as well.

https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Optimization/Server_Optimization

Having said that, I've not gone that route personally at this time.

As for "secure" there are ways to set things up in the beginning that can help. Things to know - like don't use the easy one click install thing. Use security plugins from the start. If you're planning on collecting client data, use an SSL cert. I want to say you get extra google points for using the SSL cert too.

You are right. There are certainly things that can be done to improve a server for interaction with Wordpress. However, the majority of hosts out there that are advertising "Wordpress Hosting" are doing none of that. It's kind of like "SEO Hosting" which actually does nothing for SEO.

If the goal is targeting Louisville for a only SEO & web design I kinda doubt the daily traffic volume would be massive so most average host would work as far as page loading time.

You are right. There are certainly things that can be done to improve a server for interaction with Wordpress. However, the majority of hosts out there that are advertising "Wordpress Hosting" are doing none of that. It's kind of like "SEO Hosting" which actually does nothing for SEO.

After doing some research I'm coming to this conclusion also.

If the goal is targeting Louisville for a only SEO & web design I kinda doubt the daily traffic volume would be massive so most average host would work as far as page loading time.

Right now I'm hammering Louisville organically for SEO with a site on hostgator shared hosting account. I really don't expect this site to get over 10-15 legitimate visitors a day at most. I'm thinking I'll just go with a very well done site with the best shared hosting I can find. If it's not performing the way I want or something like that. I'll reassess at that time.

I do want to thank those of you that chimed in for you thoughts and advice. It's what I love about this place. That and I don't have to sift through stupid shit to get to them meat and potatoes. It's all meat and potatoes! ;)

whats wrong with one-click installs of wordpress?

They have gotten better, but historically they have been a security issue. Fantastico was probably the worst, but I do not see that one used too often anymore.

The other thing I don't like about the one click installs is that they tend to add additional plugins that I'd wind up deleting anyway.

Manual installs have a cleaner feeling to them.

I thought I replied but don't see it. Anyway, what is fantastico?

It's a one click software installer that installs the database and wordpress all in one shot. Found in the cpanel of many shared hosting accounts.

It's a one click software installer that installs the database and wordpress all in one shot. Found in the cpanel of many shared hosting accounts.

Ok thanks, so what is the security flaw with this method (one click install)?

It is tough to find Fantastico anymore. I think Hostgator was one of the last holdouts where I remember seeing it. Most use Softaculous now. Softaculous is way better security wise than Fantastico was. Fanstastico had big neon signs directing hackers where to go.

Ok thanks, so what is the security flaw with this method (one click install)?

The software can give similar database name,user, and prefix which is easier to guess. They format things very similarly.  If you go in and create the databases manually you can give things all kinds of funky names that are harder to guess.

I've found the manual install really isn't any more work. The time difference is maybe a minute or two? Not to mention again, getting rid of xtras stuff that the auto installers stick on your site. That stuff always can leave possible leftovers garbled in the database.

I used simplescripts for a very long time. Had a problem with something, and when I went to go look into the databases I had no idea which one was for which site. Some time after that I had issues (hacking but not sure which/what script) where I had to nuke my host. When I went in for the rebuild I decided to kick off with manual  installs just so I could have full details on everything.

The only time I might use a quick install is if I'm testing something like copying a client site to test new plugins on it. But not for anything I'd consider a permanent site.