Sign in to follow this  
panda7

Ranking for multiple locations with virtual office address

Hi,

I recently came across a powerful injury lawyer's website: wilshirelawfirm.com.

I noticed he purchased virtual office addresses in each high-volume city in California. I'm guessing that he placed each virtual address to various local listing websites and has citations for each city-specific page. This is working out somewhat well for the lawyer, as he ranks highly for searches outside of his office's HQ in Los Angeles. 

My question: 

If I have a national business, could I do the same by buying virtual offices in the high-volume states and using local citations to drive traffic to those state-specific pages?

For example: 

mywebsite.com/locations/california

mywebsite.com/locations/texas

Thank you, I really enjoy this forum and looking to contribute moving forward. 

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

I've seen a bunch of similar domains running virtual offices over the years. To be honest I don't see how Google could prove they're not physical offices because the places I've seen also rent physical office space from the same building, some included per use basis with the virtual office payment.

Having a physical location in "high volume states" really is not going to do much good.

Google's local algorithm runs on the city/town level. I have never seen any evidence of it running at the state level. 

If you are going to target major towns and cities that way, stay away from the virtual offices offered by places like The UPS Store and FedEx. Those are known by Google and have been targeted in the past.

Having a physical location in "high volume states" really is not going to do much good.

Google's local algorithm runs on the city/town level. I have never seen any evidence of it running at the state level. 

If you are going to target major towns and cities that way, stay away from the virtual offices offered by places like The UPS Store and FedEx. Those are known by Google and have been targeted in the past.

Agreed, it has to be taken down to city level just like an address.

This is really helpful, thank you. 

Would having a Houston address help me rank better for the entire state of Texas? Also, would having multiple addresses be regarded spammy in they eyes of a google? In other words, do I risk getting penalized if I list each address on a respective town's local online directory?

P.S. I'm signing up to an inner-circle membership very soon. The commentary on this forum is higher-level than any of the garbage I usually read form Patel and others. 

I have never seen a case where that would help you rank better in the state unless someone is searching for "XYZ in Texas" or something like that. Unless they put that specific geo-qualifier in there, I do not think it will make a difference.

As for penalty, you should be okay. 

Google did crack down on businesses that were using virtual addresses in the past, but in those cases they were basically just using PO Box's at the UPS Store or a local Post Office. They especially cracked down hard in the locksmith niche on that.

If you are setting up a more legit address than that, you should be fine.

This is really helpful, thank you. 

Would having a Houston address help me rank better for the entire state of Texas? Also, would having multiple addresses be regarded spammy in they eyes of a google? In other words, do I risk getting penalized if I list each address on a respective town's local online directory?

P.S. I'm signing up to an inner-circle membership very soon. The commentary on this forum is higher-level than any of the garbage I usually read form Patel and others. 

It's my understanding that the google local listings are very localized.

I attended some business training last year where there was a gal who was doing her own mobile physical therapy.

She had the business set up as her home address, but most of the business she was doing was actually in another city - where she really wanted to be listed.

It was determined she'd get no credit really for where she wanted her listing to really pop up unless she could determine a physical location in the preferred city.

As to your paying to get on other directories, that may be your only choice.

Thats helpful color Jill. 

Also, I should have been more clear: ranking for "keyword"+"state" would be my goal if I employ this strategy. 

Thanks for all the help everyone.