Sign in to follow this  
yukon

Google Social Fail - Episode 27

I've lost count of the Google social fails but prepare yourself for yet another fail.

Other than the original Google Search in the late 1990s the only thing they've ever done right (sometimes) was buy existing businesses.

Web Hosting

Gmail was pretty cool.

They bought out a few niche businesses while building Gmail.

• Neotonic Software (Customer relationship management)
  • reMail (Email search)
  • Postini (Communications security)
  • Sparrow (Mobile apps)

I was peeved over the postini thing. I had postini working on my email just fine, and then google took it and that was that.

I did get a google voice # recently, but not sure that makes up for it.

I was peeved over the postini thing. I had postini working on my email just fine, and then google took it and that was that.

I did get a google voice # recently, but not sure that makes up for it.

I think Google is probably buying employees just as much If not more than actually caring about the businesses they buy.

The tech industry is pretty hardcore about recruiting potential employees (smart people that make things happen).

Moot being hired by Google was surprising though to be fair, considering he's created the cesspool of the Internet. Will be exciting to see if anything turns out because of that unexpected cooperation.

I have never understand why Google keep pouring resources in the social media game, when they have failed many times instead of making their stronger areas even stronger (search and PPC)

I have never understand why Google keep pouring resources in the social media game, when they have failed many times instead of making their stronger areas even stronger (search and PPC)

I think they have enough resources for both. Just because they put some resources into one area doesnt mean the other one is excluded/discarded/forgotten.

They gotta give it a shot.

They bought out a few niche businesses while building Gmail.

• Neotonic Software (Customer relationship management)
  • reMail (Email search)
  • Postini (Communications security)
  • Sparrow (Mobile apps)

Yes but the only thing that really mattered was they offered 1gb while everyone else was like 50mb or something. It was a game changer. 

But yeah search and PPC is where they make their money.