Horny Devil

Private Members Sections & Lifetime Membership Fee

Just a friendly word in your ear.

You'd get a whole lot more members joining if you get rid of the private member sections on here.

I've previously ran a large forum, and several people I know operate really huge forums - without the need for private sections. An "us and you" mentality never breeds contentment.

The other problem is with the $299 you're asking for lifetime membership. You're really not going to get a whole lot of takers for that price - hence your forum is pretty much dead. I've joined today and would have bought a membership, but not at that price. You'll find most folks wont risk that kind of outlay on a forum that's not even established yet. Membership fees should come at a much later date when you've got a really busy and well known forum.

In all the hours I've been on here I've seen a solitary post, incidentally by someone I know. That's not going to get people to stay on here at all.

A busy forum will attract more people to want to join.

My advice to you, for what it's worth, is to build the forum up faster by freeing up the private sections, dispensing with or lowering that crazy membership price, and THEN take advantage of the myriad of ways you can use to monetize a busy forum that's got great footfall.

I fully appreciate that you've got to cover overheads, make a living, etc, but there are many other ways to do that at this early stage. With a dead forum you're going to get more drop-outs than take-ups and very soon you'll find you're the admin of a ghost town.

I wish you all the best whatever route you take. It's still refreshing to have something new. 

SEMrush

It's not about covering overheads, making a living, etc.

There is a training program that is part of the private forums. That is what members are really paying for. The private discussion forum areas are just a bonus attached to that and an area to discuss the training materials. 

This site started as a site selling the training courses. Then I added a private forum area for those who had bought the course to ask questions, discuss ideas, etc. The public forum area was later added.

So it was not a forum with a private area. It started as a private membership site and the public forum areas were added later.

As an alternative, we could hide them from view and then anyone who is not a member would never know they exist.

Aah, I understand now Mike.

Still, if the forum were expanded upon with more members that would reasonably lead to more take-ups on the training courses.

I don't think you need to hide the training courses. If anything, give them a bit more exposure.

Would be nice to see the forum side take off. Whatever, I wish you success. It's still a small breath of fresh air compared to the rapidly declining WF.

I agree with the OP about the cost. I'm already sold on the forum but I can't justify spending $300 to access the Private section since I have no need for a PBN course (I already have decent experience with setting up PBN sites). Also, even though the post quality is quite good here, the low activity makes me hesitant to dish out a lot of money.

I would suspect you'd get a lot more paid members if you separated the Private section from the course. $10/month, $50/year, or something like that. I know that's not how this site got started, but it can always evolve and get better.

I would no way may the Public section free (even with x amount of posts). That would simply open the flood gates to the millions(?) of "professional SEOs" that exist on WF and the like.

It was $27/month for a long time, but I got a lot of feedback that people would prefer a one-time fee instead. 

There were a lot of people who got a shit-load of great content by paying $27 once. 

There are similar courses out there selling for $3,000 and more that are inferior in my opinion. I have no desire to debate if the cost is justified or not. Frankly, it is selling for far too cheap considering what is contained in the training. 

I might consider going back to something like the $27/month fee for access to the private discussion areas only, but not for the training material. There is no way I can foresee selling it that cheap ever again.

There are plenty of great discussions in the free areas and everyone is free to continue to add more there.

I was just saying the OPTION of monthly for the private area would be nice. Sure, you're going to have some "all-you-can-eat" buffet people that sign up just for one month to get all the content there and cancel. Others will continue to pay or switch to the lifetime membership.

I'm not debating the cost of your course and from what I've learned from you over the past couple years, it probably is worth more. I'm just saying if I'm not in the market for a car, I'm not going to buy a car just to get free oil changes for life. (lame analogy but just trying to make a point)

Anyways, I'll continue to read but be less of a lurker now that I finally created an account.

It's something to think about. 

Honestly, the forum originally started as an add-on to the training material. I was getting a lot of the same and/or similar questions from people, so I figured it made more sense to create a private forum for members to chat and ask questions. Then people could learn from one another and not just me. 

Things have just grown from there.

I think if I considered going back to a monthly membership it would have to be at a higher price. Something more like $60-75/month.

The goal though even in the public forum area is to have a higher level of discussion for internet marketers than you currently find at most other places. We have a little different moderation philosophy here so that hopefully it never gets to the point that people have to search through mountains of crap to find the "gems" like you might have to in other forums.

With a dead forum you're going to get more drop-outs than take-ups and very soon you'll find you're the admin of a ghost town.

I'd sooner click on 'new content' once every few days and find one or two worthwhile posts than the kind of crap that clogs up most forums.

The volume might be low here, but the signal to noise ratio is high :)

I agree with what an earlier poster mentioned.  I really do not need or want the course associated with private section of the forum.  Maybe a price could be set for people that just want the forum, not course

al

After reading each of the perspectives above, it would seem to me, in my opinion, that the best thing to do is to keep the price as is, but hide the private areas, and even the upsell, from the free members.  Nothing wrong with an ad for the course/program itself, but that would sell all the benefits of the whole program, rather than just the fee-based subforum discussion areas.  I, too, saw that high price tag when I came over to sign up here, and it did make me pause.  But I figured that, as long as entry-level was free, I would keep an open mind.

I think I am going to add an option for members to join just the private forum section at a reduced cost.

I just want to get some feedback from the existing members in there first. I do not want them to feel short changed in any way.

I think I am going to add an option for members to join just the private forum section at a reduced cost.

I just want to get some feedback from the existing members in there first. I do not want them to feel short changed in any way.

If those members (your originals)  are on a separate list, you can always slip them some nice gifts on the holidays.

I'd be up for that, as the courses aspect doesn't interest me. It would also make those sections of the board a lot more active and can only be conducive to attracting more new members to the forum. Keep us posted.