Sign in to follow this  
Mike Friedman

New AdWord Layout Impact On CTR?

It has been a little while now since Google dumped the ads in the right sidebar and went with up to 4 ads at the top of the page.

Everyone's initial reaction was that this would destroy organic results. The sky was falling... blah, blah, blah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZX7UgzAHoE

I am curious what others are seeing. Across the sites I have access to, I am seeing an almost zero change in CTR's and traffic for search results in the top 5.

There are a few #1 listings that are down 3-5%. There are others that are up 3-5%.

Of course, none of this is in a vacuum. Things like the ads changing to a higher quality ad or a lower quality ad will impact this. Adjustments in the #2 spot can also pull more traffic from the #1 spot or, if it is perceived as a lower quality listing, actually add more traffic to the #1 spot.

But in general terms, what I am seeing is basically a net zero loss.

Anyone else seeing the same or something different?

SEMrush

Nope, not seeing a drastic change here in Sweden either. Minor things happening perhaps, but nothing "wow"-ish.

I could take a more elaborate peek into my accounts just to validate.

Anyone else seeing the same or something different?

Funny that you mentioned, I was seeing a bigger CTR across my sites that dominate the first page (for some terms I control the entire page so I can compare) but all of them are seeing actually more clicks, not even the same amount, I though it may be a "normal variation" but now I am starting to thing that it may be because there are less ads and some people may interpret it as less trustable the paid positions than the natural ones (I am speculating)

I guess the takeaway here is use this to your advantage on your own sites, advertise directly above & below the content instead of sidebars.