Mike Friedman

Does anyone do inexpensive logo design?

So every now and then I take on a client that I feel bad for. They got dicked around by their previous marketing agency, and I just feel bad that they wasted so much time and energy.

I recently took on one such client. Their website is a mess. It's what happens when a computer programmer decides they are going to learn a little website design on the side. They were also supposed to be doing SEO work, but have done nothing for the past year.

She was gunshy at spending any more money, so I took her on at a much cheaper than usual rate and threw in a free website redesign on top of it.

I am looking to see if there is anyone interested in doing an inexpensive new logo/header design for this company. Their old site did not even have a logo. I'm already losing money on this deal and can't squeeze much more out of her for this.

It is a commercial cleaning service.

Graphic design is not my thing.

This is the logo she has.

robot.jpg

So yeah, clearly we need to do something new.

Web Hosting

As my 12-year-old son likes to say....

Just, wow.

For $1, you could go on a site like depositphotos.com and at least get some reasonable clip art worth customizing.

Best of luck!

That logo looks great, for Microsoft Paint running on Windows 95.

My advice for quick/cheap logos is to use silhouette images, combine a couple If needed. Even If you have to buy the image from a stock photo site (low prices).

They look better than the kids doodle logo.

555.png

i know digital point may not have a great rep, but they have a section for design contests. you could get something for $25ish (you set the $$ amount) that would probably hold her over

i would do it for free if i had any skills

How soon do you need it?

I can probably conjure up something decent, going fishing early in the am, but I'll put a couple samples together by tomorrow evening  or Saturday... and see if it meets the eye. Clearly, it will look better than the crayon drawing, lol

Art

I use a local designer here in Wilmington who I've known for many years now...it's about $80 which is my "nice price" and I feel is totally worth it for truly original and not clip art results.

That's really not much at all for his time and expertise. If anyone has a real project and wants me to hook you up, let me know.

As a person that has cleaned professionally for 16 years, please please please don't use a person with a broom or vacuum in their hand for your logo.  That's just a personal preference, but it drives me crazy and is so played out.  Ours is simple, just the name of our business, and probably not the best, but then again we don't really need to spend money on marketing or advertising.  A friend has a simple logo with a classy font for his business which promises "First Class" cleaning services and it looks very professional.  Not every cleaning logo needs a spray bottle or duster and not every person that cleans wears an apron and/or skirt.  I'm a guy and although my wife and I have cleaned together for all of these years and people assume that she started the business, it was me.  

Best wishes on the new design.  That one in the original post looks like it would be for a company called "Hobo Clean".  With it being a commercial service you can project some quality about the business other than simply that you know how to use a vacuum.  

As a person that has cleaned professionally for 16 years, please please please don't use a person with a broom or vacuum in their hand for your logo. 

Why not?

IMO it makes it more personal.

I gave my reasons after that. It was my opinion.

I actually agree with you.  People aren't interested in labor and also there's quite a bit of condescension against cleaners. I'm good at it to the extreme  -- and well educated. When the money was good, I threw around a rag and mop here and there.  People automatically took me as stupid because I was doing manual labor and the initial condescension from them was quite insulting until they talked to me a little. It's idiocy that people in the US have preconceived notions about the subordinate nature of, or lack of  intelligence of general labor personnel, but they do (and yeah some are not all that sharp, but some just like the work, seriously). We're very divided on socioeconomic levels. 

So - I suggested the "sparkling" house to inject the image and idea of the results derived from the service rather than on the nature of labor and the laborer.  Subconsciously, it commands more professionalism. 

Oh yeah, my profession is the butt of so many jokes, and it gets old. Some people assume that I clean because I'm unable to do anything else. I graduated high school at the top of my class with scholarship offers to a top engineering school locally. Why do I clean? It started because I grew up in a freaking cult that openly discouraged higher education so I didn't pursue my opportunities, of which I had many. Many people that are Jehovah's Witnesses clean because it's flexible hours and decent money comparatively when a lack of education is factored in.

I tried to get out of cleaning several times but now I love it. For one, I'm really good at it and no, not everyone can clean. You do need to know what you're doing. We have amazing families that we work with and they all respect us. In fact, when my wife and I left the cult last year (I'm 38, she's 35) because we finally woke up from the FOG (fear, obligation, and guilt used to manipulate us since we were children), our clients were our saving grace. We are forever shunned by our friends and family from our first decades on this planet simply because we dared to call b.s. on the beliefs we were indoctrinated with. We lost everyone, except our clients, and they have been our biggest cheerleaders. My wife is having her first ever birthday party next month and our clients will be there, along with a host of other friends we've made since last September.

The person cleaning your toilet might be capable of so much that you don't realize. I still have a nagging interest to push myself and develop other business interests that pay more and are more challenging at this point, but cleaning has proven to be so rewarding. Heck, it was seeing these wonderful families up close that started waking us up because anyone not of our faith was vilified to us, so we were scared on a level of "worldly" people. Cleaning helped buy us freedom in ways, and now that we're free who knows what path we'll take for the future, but cleaning is about so much more than just menial tasks fulfillment.

Oh yeah, my profession is the butt of so many jokes, and it gets old. Some people assume that I clean because I'm unable to do anything else. I graduated high school at the top of my class with scholarship offers to a top engineering school locally. Why do I clean? It started because I grew up in a freaking cult that openly discouraged higher education so I didn't pursue my opportunities, of which I had many. Many people that are Jehovah's Witnesses clean because it's flexible hours and decent money comparatively when a lack of education is factored in.

I tried to get out of cleaning several times but now I love it. For one, I'm really good at it and no, not everyone can clean. You do need to know what you're doing. We have amazing families that we work with and they all respect us. In fact, when my wife and I left the cult last year (I'm 38, she's 35) because we finally woke up from the FOG (fear, obligation, and guilt used to manipulate us since we were children), our clients were our saving grace. We are forever shunned by our friends and family from our first decades on this planet simply because we dared to call b.s. on the beliefs we were indoctrinated with. We lost everyone, except our clients, and they have been our biggest cheerleaders. My wife is having her first ever birthday party next month and our clients will be there, along with a host of other friends we've made since last September.

The person cleaning your toilet might be capable of so much that you don't realize. I still have a nagging interest to push myself and develop other business interests that pay more and are more challenging at this point, but cleaning has proven to be so rewarding. Heck, it was seeing these wonderful families up close that started waking us up because anyone not of our faith was vilified to us, so we were scared on a level of "worldly" people. Cleaning helped buy us freedom in ways, and now that we're free who knows what path we'll take for the future, but cleaning is about so much more than just menial tasks fulfillment.

Sounds like quite a story! I would love to hear it one day. :) 

I should post it in the Bar section here. I might just do so tomorrow. Today I'm cleaning from 9am-11pm, but tomorrow is a more regular workday.

Sorry if I derailed this thread any. Not my intent and it appears that the OP got his needs met.

If it helps, God was a janitor.  ;)

Hahaha!  :D

Terra