Sign in to follow this  
HeySal

Anyone ever worked with elgg?

Elgg is a program that I'm thinking of upgrading my rock and gem site to.  The point of that system is the private nodules (group rooms) where pages can be written and published publicly, while the rest of the room is private - there's forum capability, etc ...........

Anyway.  I'm not a tech.  Can anyone tell me exactly how easy or not this program is to install, configure, etc for someone who has no tech knowledge beyond general admin of the stuff after it's set up? 

Can anyone tell me how long it might take for a tech to set up a site using just the basic plugins?  

I really want to know what anyone else's experiences were with the program - and what level tech you are so I know what I'm looking at to implement it. 

Web Hosting

I'm wreckless in that I typically will just create a subdomain and begin playing. I'd suggest you watch a few videos to see if it's something you can try - and if not it looks like that web address above sells some help.

Jill - I was up and down that site and understand none of it. Sooo - anyway, I got a message today from a guy I know that actually worked on one before - a computer engineer that's been doing sites since 2001. He said he wouldn't build his own site with it. I guess it's an absolute PITA. 

Those tutorials are for techies. They don't break it down out of jargon far enough to even start to understand it.  When I say "not a techie" I mean I still have to use a WYSIWYG editor just to make an HTML page.  

Anyway - I think I have the problem solved.  Looks like I've found a program that is easy to install and does what I need it to. 

It would be easier to build a site using a phpBB forum, then just lock the forum down so you have to create forum profiles as the admin. That way there will be zero spam moderation.

PhpBB is popular and plenty of tutorials.