Sign in to follow this  
warriormachine

Any suggestions on finding expired domains for PBN?

NEW to the site thought I would introduce a little.

I have been out of the SEO world for quite a while (busy completing my studies). Will be starting job soon and I will definitely have some cash to invest.

Earlier, I'd say two-three years ago. I tested PBN. I bought around 8 domains through godaddy auctions after researching them through expireddomains.net / majestic for backlinks. I kind of relied on the Page rank system, eventhough it was DEAD (non-updated) as it is today (non-existent), but it still gave me an idea what domains to go after and research more and do a backlink check. Plus, also did some Legit Guest posting on Real Active niche sites and other Link building such as getting on niche blogroll lists.

It did work My website ranked for around 4-5 keywords (very closely related - ~2500 Monthly Search each)  going up to 1st page around 5th position and to this day it is still ranking around 10-15 position on Google.com (US)

My question is two fold:

(1) are there any other ways (efficient, reliable, good  ) to finding expired domains beside using sites like expireddomains OR domcop? If there is, Is it TOP secret?

(2) If you did find some domains, How would you approach on figuring out if the sites are worth much and are they authoritative. What metrics should I be looking at. 

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

There are a few methods for finding domains for a private network.

Some guy sells a whole course about private networksB)

You can scrape for expired domains. It is harder than it used to be because so many people are doing this now. It's somewhat just luck of the draw. Who happens to scrape a URL that finds a link to a dead domain at just the right time.... So you have to be scraping 24/7 pretty much t make that work.

Auctions are probably the most consistent way to find domains. You just need to make sure you understand how to evaluate them or else you could be throwing a lot of money down the drain.

The other way to get some decent domains for private networks is to reach out to current site owners and see if they have any interest in selling. Sometimes when you find sites barely ranking in the top 100, you also find site owners ready to give up on the whole internet marketing/SEO game and would love to just get something for their domain at this point.

Earlier, I'd say two-three years ago. I tested PBN. I bought around 8 domains through godaddy auctions after researching them through expireddomains.net / majestic for backlinks. I kind of relied on the Page rank system, eventhough it was DEAD (non-updated) as it is today (non-existent), but it still gave me an idea what domains to go after and research more and do a backlink check.

I have done this fairly recently (over the past 6-8 months), so hopefully I might be able to help . . .

As far as expireddomains.net goes, I think the important thing to note is that you're only ever going to get a sort of weak and watered down version of a PBN. Really strong domains seldom seem to make it to expiration, so even if you do a great job of filtering what you find there you're dealing with leftovers.

However, you're also paying a fraction of the cost of buying at auction.

Although when you shell out for a high quality domain at auction, providing you build the site out well, then really (as I know Mike has pointed out many times) you're going to end up with another site of just as high standard as your primary site and with its own earning potential.

An ideal goal would perhaps be to couple a large 'weak' PBN of expired domains with a small 'strong' PBN of great domains bought at auction.

As far as a 'weak' PBN goes, then I comb through expireddomains.net 'live' as sites come in fresh each day. I use the inbuilt filter functionality with a list of niche keywords that I maintain. I then sort the results by 'domain pop'. If you sort by number of backlinks you'll drag a lot of sites that have a very high number of backlinks coming from just one or two sources - obviously this is no good and what you are looking for is a domain that has links from a broad and diverse range of sites (this diversity also protects against future link losses). I pay no attention to any expireddomains.net metric other than the number of backlinks and the number of domains from which they come (completely ignore DA, PageRank etc).

Once I see a domain that looks interesting, the first thing I do is to punch it in to en.seokicks.de - this is where expireddomains.net source their metric from - all I do this for is to check that the figures on expireddomains.net match up with those on seokicks (sometimes they don't).

The two tools that I use to evaluate domains are seoprofiler.com and waybackmachine.org.

I'll leave you to explore the functionality of the first if it interests you. One of the things that I want to know is how the links are coming in to the domain - are all the links to the homepage, or are they to individual articles or pages on a site. If the latter then you will need to rebuild pages with identical URLs to fully recapture that link juice.

Rather than relying too much on metrics, I find that once I know the sites that link to a domain, visiting these sites and using a bit of common sense is the best way forwards. With the PBN as an intermediary, you will essentially be linking these sites to your primary site. For sites linking to the domain you're considering, ask:

Is this a site that you want to be linked to?

Is it full of high quality original content?

What is its backlink profile like?

Is it relevant to the content of your primary domain?

Does it feel abandoned and seem liable to disappear soon?

The main reason I look at waybackmachine is to check whether the site has been 'abused'. Quite often you'll find that a great site has built a strong link profile, and then has been sold or allowed to expire, and then has subsequently been used for some spammy purpose. Because seoprofiler.com will only detect backlinks that meet a certain quality threshold, it is quite possible that it is showing you only the set of quality backlinks acquired by the original site hosted at the domain, and that a whole plethora of thousands of spammy backlinks are not shown or detected. If I can see any spammy site hosted at the domain in the waybackmachine archive, then I assume that the site will have attracted such backlinks even if I can't see them, and I abandon the domain (even if the backlink profile has remained untarnished, there will have been a discontinuity in the relevance of the content hosted at the domain).

In a number of instances I have used waybackmachine to rebuild the site with its historic content. There are copyright implications for this, so only do it where you can ensure your anonymity. And there are 'footprint' implications, so don't do it with every site.

I think in his answer above Mike has probably already linked to the Inner Circle membership here, which includes a detailed guide to PBN sites. I will certainly be looking at this myself before investing more significant sums in higher quality domains, so if you've reached that stage yourself it should be worth investigating.

I hope that's all helpful!