Art Moran

Scripts to Stop Affiliate Hi-Jackers?

Anyone familiar with a script (or software) that embeds a small piece of code into ANY page that contains your own ads, links, content, etc... whereby if a thief tries to hi-jack your affiliate content, ads, offers, etc. the script overwrites the stolen materials and redirects either a portion or all the stolen links back to your original offer?

I just watched a very interesting webinar on a high ticket product that offered a software bundle bonus that included a free trial to some powerful (and interesting) super affiliate tools/software.

There were two that intrigued me:

1.) One was an Ad approval software that gets ANY paid ad approved even if FB or other ad platforms frown on specific niche markets like 'dating offers'  etc.

2.) The one that blew my mind enables you to catch thieves who are stealing your ads, content, and affiliates promo's... it over-writes a portion of the code to redirect the stolen links back to your original offer! -bad ass!

The name they used for the software doesn't retrieve any results on G, is clearly not for sale anywhere, but knowing such scripts exist had me wondering...anyone know of similar products?

SEMrush

Yeah I get them blasted to me in my email all the time.

I don't use one and I really don't have any I recommend.

Do you want me to fish a random one out of my email?

Not spam, it's from a mailing list I'm on.

Yeah I get them blasted to me in my email all the time.

I don't use one and I really don't have any I recommend.

Do you want me to fish a random one out of my email?

Not spam, it's from a mailing list I'm on.

Nah, I'm just trying to figure out if the software was  anywhere near what these guys made it out to be?

Hell, I am just now learning about lead scrapers... and other interesting tools, I never used any of them before either.

They called the software "Profit Vault" but everything I am finding online leads to some old rehashed collection of PLR crap sold back in 2013 on WF... I don't think that was what they were talking about, if so, shame on them, lol.

The way they pitched it was the software was a must have to CYA as a super affiliate because other super affiliates will steal your ad campaigns, content, and what ever is working... seemed believable enough.... but I am not spending $1997 to find out!

Nah, I'm just trying to figure out if the software was  anywhere near what these guys made it out to be?

Hell, I am just now learning about lead scrapers... and other interesting tools, I never used any of them before either.

They called the software "Profit Vault" but everything I am finding online leads to some old rehashed collection of PLR crap sold back in 2013 on WF... I don't think that was what they were talking about, if so, shame on them, lol.

The way they pitched it was the software was a must have to CYA as a super affiliate because other super affiliates will steal your ad campaigns, content, and what ever is working... seemed believable enough.... but I am not spending $1997 to find out!

You can't stop anyone from cloning ad campaigns or stealing content so If that's the software claim to fame it's obviously a scam.

You can't stop anyone from cloning ad campaigns or stealing content so If that's the software claim to fame it's obviously a scam.

The software doesn't stop them from stealing your stuff...it almost encourages it, cause if they do...it redirects the affiliate links back to you! Supposedly, it's all legal.

The $1997 was the cost for a FB ads training through CB's #1 super-affiliate, guy named Gerry Cramer... the guy seems legit, the webinar was actually really interesting. The software package was a bonus offering to the training (45 Day free trial deal.) Apparently, this software is not on the market.

At the moment, I ain't exactly crushing it with affiliate promo's, so I asked out curiosity more than anything else.

Art, I'm trying to follow you here.  haha   Do you have a site that I could look at selling one of these programs?  Or a video?

It sounds like you're talking about some script (javascript?) being added to the web pages that routes clicks. 

Art, I'm trying to follow you here. haha Do you have a site that I could look at selling one of these programs? Or a video?

It sounds like you're talking about some script (javascript?) being added to the web pages that routes clicks.

No unfortunately, it was mentioned at the end of a webinar presentation for FB ads training.

After the webinar it was mentioned as being called; "Profit Vault" only available through Gerry Cramer (Clickbanks #1 Super Affiliate) the guy is pulling down $20k days using FB ads & Clickbank products.

The jist was... People are going to steal your top selling ads, when you add this script to any page... It does this:

- tells you who jacked your content

- their IP

- time & date

- their name, address, phone#, website where the stolen content is hosted, how many clicks its getting, and more...

Gerry was saying you then have 3 options:

- Contact them and ask them to stop using your shit!

- Have lawyer issue a C&D order

- Let em steal it, and the script allows the to get some sales, but redirects a portion of the affiliate sales to your account (on auto-pilot!)

The trip of it was, Gerry was laughing... Saying at times he almost feels like putting a flashing neon sign on his top selling ads...so anyone who rips it off sends him money!

I appologize, as I have no freaking clue if this script is legit, but since the guy (Gerry) owned the infamous software known as; CookieStuffer... Made me wonder; how the hell does that work?

Kinda scared me a bit too... Got me thinking; How would I ever know if my "cookies" were being stolen? Or- overwritten with something like this?

Clearly, he doesn't endorse it as a tool to steal affiliate commissions...only protect your own!

Just found it interesting. Tommorow, I'll look for the replay, I'm pretty sure it's in my email somewhere... And I'll skim through the timeline where they described it...prob more accurate than I can, that was the jist of it tho.

No unfortunately, it was mentioned at the end of a webinar presentation for FB ads training.

After the webinar it was mentioned as being called; "Profit Vault" only available through Gerry Cramer (Clickbanks #1 Super Affiliate) the guy is pulling down $20k days using FB ads & Clickbank products.

The jist was... People are going to steal your top selling ads, when you add this script to any page... It does this:

- tells you who jacked your content

- their IP

- time & date

- their name, address, phone#, website where the stolen content is hosted, how many clicks its getting, and more...

Gerry was saying you then have 3 options:

- Contact them and ask them to stop using your shit!

- Have lawyer issue a C&D order

- Let em steal it, and the script allows the to get some sales, but redirects a portion of the affiliate sales to your account (on auto-pilot!)

The trip of it was, Gerry was laughing... Saying at times he almost feels like putting a flashing neon sign on his top selling ads...so anyone who rips it off sends him money!

I appologize, as I have no freaking clue if this script is legit, but since the guy (Gerry) owned the infamous software known as; CookieStuffer... Made me wonder; how the hell does that work?

Kinda scared me a bit too... Got me thinking; How would I ever know if my "cookies" were being stolen? Or- overwritten with something like this?

Clearly, he doesn't endorse it as a tool to steal affiliate commissions...only protect your own!

Just found it interesting. Tommorow, I'll look for the replay, I'm pretty sure it's in my email somewhere... And I'll skim through the timeline where they described it...prob more accurate than I can, that was the jist of it tho.

It really depends what kind of affiliate marketing you do.

I have some experience working with paid ads and yeah you're going to get jacked constantly, especially on the adult networks.

If he's suggesting that his tool will prevent me from stealing his ad and it will report that data back to him, there's something I missing here about how that works.

If theoretically I was going to use somebody else's landing page, I would be editing all JS code no matter how innocent it looked.

So if the tool embeds javascript into a landing page and then reports the data back to the tool, then pulls whois information, that still isn't going to work on me since I run domain privacy on everything after receiving several legal threats over the years.

This doesn't have to be very complex, it could just be an extra tracking pixel in the page. (Anybody who swipes landers and leaves the tracking pixels in is really stupid ...)

The target audience to sell that kind of product to would be doing Facebook ads is not going to be as technically minded as somebody who works with DSP.

Also, there are scrapers for FB, so it's possible it's getting that AD that way as well and then pulling whois data. Again, that won't work with privacy and most of the hardcore swipers are not US based entities, so good luck with the C&D.

But yes, there are ways to overwrite cookies but if he made any claims about it occurring extremely frequently I would take that with a grain of salt, it's fraud, if you get caught, you will go to prison.

I've never used anything like that, just cloakers to hide affiliate links from bots, or 301 into a folder that has a robots file set to disallow all to /link/. Even basic "link beautifiers" will work, all you do is make the link domain.com/link/affiliate-offer and edit the robots.txt file, double check it all works.

If you market say CPA offers, sometimes Google will think your site is infected with malware and that's obviously super bad for SEO.

Also, if sites do that crap where I can't right click, I just turn off JS in the developer toolbar.

A tool like what you're describing is "only going to catch newbs."

Also, what he's saying doesn't sound completely right. Ads that get exchanged can't have copywrite, as soon as a display triggered, the target would be violating the copywrite.

Typically ads only have copywrite with special permission from the entity displaying it. (Go pick up any magazine and look for yourself if you don't believe me.) Expensive campaigns where they have the back cover or multiple pages, sure, small little ads, not normally. If the advertiser explicitly claimed their copywrite, the magazine can't publish it.

The affiliate links don't makes sense.

What are you doing with the links that allows another affiliate to tamper with them and why are you allowing another affiliate to tamper with the links in the first place? The links would have to be on a webpage that anyone could access to make affiliate ID edits.

The script sounds like hype because I just can't imagine another affiliate being able to edit links.

The script sounds like hype because I just can't imagine another affiliate being able to edit links.

Pretty much agree with this statement.

It really depends what kind of affiliate marketing you do.

I have some experience working with paid ads and yeah you're going to get jacked constantly, especially on the adult networks.

If he's suggesting that his tool will prevent me from stealing his ad and it will report that data back to him, there's something I missing here about how that works.

If theoretically I was going to use somebody else's landing page, I would be editing all JS code no matter how innocent it looked.

So if the tool embeds javascript into a landing page and then reports the data back to the tool, then pulls whois information, that still isn't going to work on me since I run domain privacy on everything after receiving several legal threats over the years.

This doesn't have to be very complex, it could just be an extra tracking pixel in the page. (Anybody who swipes landers and leaves the tracking pixels in is really stupid ...)

The target audience to sell that kind of product to would be doing Facebook ads is not going to be as technically minded as somebody who works with DSP.

Also, there are scrapers for FB, so it's possible it's getting that AD that way as well and then pulling whois data. Again, that won't work with privacy and most of the hardcore swipers are not US based entities, so good luck with the C&D.

But yes, there are ways to overwrite cookies but if he made any claims about it occurring extremely frequently I would take that with a grain of salt, it's fraud, if you get caught, you will go to prison.

I've never used anything like that, just cloakers to hide affiliate links from bots, or 301 into a folder that has a robots file set to disallow all. Even basic "link beautifiers" will work, all you do is make the link domain.com/link/affiliate-offer and then create the folder /link/ and put the robots.txt file in there, double check it all works.

If you market say CPA offers, sometimes Google will think your site is infected with malware and that's obviously super bad for SEO.

Also, if sites do that crap where I can't right click, I just turn off JS in the developer toolbar.

A tool like what you're describing is "only going to catch newbs."

Also, what he's saying doesn't sound completely right. Ads that get exchanged can't have copywrite, as soon as a display triggered, the target would be violating the copywrite.

Typically ads only have copywrite with special permission from the entity displaying it. (Go pick up any magazine and look for yourself if you don't believe me.) Expensive campaigns where they have the back cover or multiple pages, sure, small little ads, not normally. If the advertiser explicitly claimed their copywrite, the magazine can't publish it.

Funny you mentioned the adult niche,  the super-affiliate running the webinar hinted he made bank in that niche, be it the mention was minimal, I believe he did have some adult based experience back in his day. Not sure after the whole cookie stuffer thing bellied up if he does now or not.

I am fairly green to the whole ppc methodology, and while I am looking deeper into FB ads right now, I have a lot to learn about using image pixels, java, etc...

While I appreciate the fact, you are confirming that ad-jackers are not uncommon in the paid ad networks, what freaked me out was my lack of knowledge. Thus, when he mentioned this software protects your shit, it seemed too good to be true. Then, add into that how it (somehow) redirects a portion of the stolen content back to the originator in the form of affiliate commissions had me 'assuming' it had to do with cookies.

After reading your post twice, and what Thomas shared via pm, it sounds more like a java based script. Which, as you pointed out (and just taught me, lol) how to get past the ole' right click stopper... I imagine it works through js.

Yeah, as far as C&D's go... he made that sound like a waste of time, again confirming both you and he have experience in the ppc arena, he laughed about how a undetected little piece of code could redirect commissions from stolen copyrighted materials as in, stolen FB ads. (WTF???) That's what got my attention!

At this point, I don't give a shit about the software, really. Right now, all I care about is protecting my ass if and when I start running paid ads, whereas, if there is software to stop people from ripping off my work, then I wanted to know! Of which, if such software existed and could somehow return some of the losses, via affiliate commissions... it seemed fishy. - but the guy seemed legit, so I was a bit skeptical to believe he'd bs about what the software did.

Now, I don't question whether or not this guy knows his shit when it comes to FB ads - presell pages- and pushing high-end Clickbank products, he definitely screams 'super-affiliate' and the entire webinar revealed some interesting info. In fact, I think he knows some programming himself, but if I recall stated he had this 'thing' created by one of his programmers.

I have no intentions of investing $2k into learning how to do FB ads, as I can learn most of what I need to know for free, if not, far cheaper.

After reading your response, it sounds to me like my focus needs to be on creating pixels, learning some basic js, and copyrighting my work...as that is probably the best I can do to cover my ass, concerning ad copy, images, etc.

The affiliate links don't makes sense.

What are you doing with the links that allows another affiliate to tamper with them and why are you allowing another affiliate to tamper with the links in the first place? The links would have to be on a webpage that anyone could access to make affiliate ID edits.

I'm not doing anything to let anybody tamper with my links, at least I hope not!

No, this is based on someone stealing a Facebook ad, swiping the entire copy and republishing it on FB as their own.

According to CB's #1 super-affiliate, this is a big problem when you start running ads that generate $50k - $100K or more, as people will steal your best ads and rerun them as their own. He mentions it's not uncommon super-affiliates will do this, as it's a highly competitive racket at that level of earning. (*That made sense to me).

However, this 'script' was something 'magical' in the way they spoke of it, that enables the 'victim' to know who ripped them off, and take it further by somehow overwriting the affiliate links back to you (being the victim) and receiving a portion of the sales. My assumption was; it had to rewrite the affiliate links or cookies to determine - who the affiliate is making the referral, right?

But, the way mki puts it, anybody at that level certainly wouldn't be stupid enough to just copy & paste someone elses ad... and not either create a new pixel, or in the least look at the code and recognize 'something fishy'.

IDK maybe it was just a gimmick to get unknowing people to look upon him as a guru... and be awestruck that he was offering a [secret weapon toolbox of software]...who knows. Sadly, I want to believe the guy - but if such software existed, surely someone here would know of it, or so I figured. (or it's bullshit!)

I still don't get it...

If someone copies a FB campaign there's no way a 3rd party script could access FB servers and redirect the links.

I still don't get it...

If someone copies a FB campaign there's no way a 3rd party script could access FB servers and redirect the links.

It sounds like the FB ad goes to a landing page and from there goes to the Clickbank product.   There is probably some code, on the landing page, that calls to the server of the person who was originally running the ad where it will drop or override a cookie.     The competitor copies the landing page and puts it up on his server which includes the script.

The server can keep track of how many calls and drop a cookie with his affiliate id every so often.  The guy Art was talking about said he had his set to 30% of the time the sale would go to him and the rest to the person who copied his ads.

However, this 'script' was something 'magical' in the way they spoke of it, that enables the 'victim' to know who ripped them off, and take it further by somehow overwriting the affiliate links back to you (being the victim) and receiving a portion of the sales. My assumption was; it had to rewrite the affiliate links or cookies to determine - who the affiliate is making the referral, right?

But, the way mki puts it, anybody at that level certainly wouldn't be stupid enough to just copy & paste someone elses ad... and not either create a new pixel, or in the least look at the code and recognize 'something fishy'.

IDK maybe it was just a gimmick to get unknowing people to look upon him as a guru... and be awestruck that he was offering a [secret weapon toolbox of software]...who knows. Sadly, I want to believe the guy - but if such software existed, surely someone here would know of it, or so I figured. (or it's bullshit!)

I can't be completely sure without seeing the source code.

But say if I was going to rip a landing page, I would throw it into notepad++ and rip anything fishy out of it, and then put it into a hexeditor to make sure there wasn't weird characters encoded into it. You never know, they might have put a 64 character sequence of invisible international characters in there for the purpose of identifying swipers automatically with some kind of robot that searches google.

Also for landing pages anyways, many people use a bunch of plugins and other silly stuff. If it's an ad campaign, even if I used wordpress to create the landing page, I'll save the page and edit the code so it's static HTML and I'll eliminate any extra CSS files/JS code. Anything that would slow the loading time down quite a bit.

Many of the Gurus sell gimmicky stuff though, that's just what they do.

"Magic Auto Amazon Affiliate Store Creator!" yeah I can just design the functionality of a plugin and source the coding out on freelancer for probably ballpark $100. No need for their code and my version would be way safer anyways.

It sounds like the FB ad goes to a landing page and from there goes to the Clickbank product.   There is probably some code, on the landing page, that calls to the server of the person who was originally running the ad where it will drop or override a cookie.     The competitor copies the landing page and puts it up on his server which includes the script.

The server can keep track of how many calls and drop a cookie with his affiliate id every so often.  The guy Art was talking about said he had his set to 30% of the time the sale would go to him and the rest to the person who copied his ads.

^^^ Yeah that's what I meant, lol...

Seriously, that would make more sense if he was referring to protecting his landing page as opposed to the ad itself. Matter of fact, if someone knew the campaign was working, the 'presell copy' would probably be the main focus, being the presell copy has to convert the cold prospect to the CB page.

Plus, that's where the link (cookie) would determine who drove the visitor to the CB vendor's sales page.

*The guy did say, he knew quite a bit about coding - and the small string of code could easily be overlooked, so that's probably where I was confused. The way I took it was it was 'if' they stole the FB ad itself, didn't really think about the landing page being the primary target.

^^^ Yeah that's what I meant, lol...

Seriously, that would make more sense if he was referring to protecting his landing page as opposed to the ad itself. Matter of fact, if someone knew the campaign was working, the 'presell copy' would probably be the main focus, being the presell copy has to convert the cold prospect to the CB page.

Plus, that's where the link (cookie) would determine who drove the visitor to the CB vendor's sales page.

*The guy did say, he knew quite a bit about coding - and the small string of code could easily be overlooked, so that's probably where I was confused. The way I took it was it was 'if' they stole the FB ad itself, didn't really think about the landing page being the primary target.

The landing page is an "ad" so you'll need to think about the wording he(?) used carefully.

That still doesn't make sense.

Just because you run an ad campaign on Facebook doesn't mean you're stealing another affiliates traffic. They never owned the traffic they didn't generate from other affiliates ads.

You can't drop a cookie on traffic If you don't have access to the traffic in the first place.

Just because you run an ad campaign on Facebook doesn't mean you're stealing another affiliates traffic. They never owned the traffic they didn't generate from other affiliates ads.

You can't drop a cookie on traffic If you don't have access to the traffic in the first place.

I agree about the traffic aspect.

But, if someone copies and pastes your landing page content (or presell ad as mki pointed out) - I could see it being legal to 'add a little bit of code' to your original work.... and tell the CB server it was you who sent that traffic, Especially, if someone steals your sales copy. - Seems fair enough to me.

As mentioned earlier, sending a C&D likely won't do much good... so, let em' steal it and still get paid. That seems to demystify the why to add it to the sales copy page, as for the actual code being used....that remains a mystery,

We are talking about stealing campaigns.  Ads and landing pages.   Some people are so lazy they just copy the landing page and upload it on their server.  This is where they get sales stolen since the landing page has the script we were talking about.

I steal your landing page and ad.  I pay facebook to send traffic to the landing page I stole from you.  Unbeknownst to me, you had a script in the landing page that calls your server.  That means you do have access to the traffic because the thief never took out the code that calls to your server.

But, if someone copies and pastes your landing page content (or presell ad as mki pointed out) - I could see it being legal to 'add a little bit of code' to your original work.... and tell the CB server it was you who sent that traffic, Especially, if someone steals your sales copy. - Seems fair enough to me.

Explain in detail how you're adding code to a webpage/host while you don't have access.

Explain in detail how you're adding code to a webpage/host while you don't have access.

I added it to my landing page.  You stole my landing page and uploaded a copy to your server.  You never took out the code. 

We are talking about stealing campaigns.  Ads and landing pages.   Some people are so lazy they just copy the landing page and upload it on their server.  This is where they get sales stolen since the landing page has the script we were talking about.

I steal your landing page and ad.  I pay facebook to send traffic to the landing page I stole from you.  Unbeknownst to me, you had a script in the landing page that calls your server.  That means you do have access to the traffic because the thief never took out the code that calls to your server.

Yeah I mean, there could be code on the page to check and see what IP the server is and then create an iframe (querying a server to make this really stealthy) with anything you want in that frame, it could be 100% blackhat. They could be sending your "lose weight by exercising traffic" to buy meth online.

Copying a landing page without checking the code is massively stupid.

That's silly. That's not stealing sales considering the original author would never had access to the other guys traffic regardless of the content.

ThomasBelknap, on 17 Jul 2016 - 01:03 AM, said:

I steal your landing page and ad.  I pay facebook to send traffic to the landing page I stole from you.  Unbeknownst to me, you had a script in the landing page that calls your server.  That means you do have access to the traffic because the thief never took out the code that calls to your server.

I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

Who is smart enough to clone a site but dumb enough to leave a mysterious trojan code snippet in the HTML?

I added it to my landing page.  You stole my landing page and uploaded a copy to your server.  You never took out the code. 

Would never happen in real life.