hughsaffar

New Style of Google De-Indexing!

Recently I experienced something new with Google! Google de-indexed the homepage of my websites, however, the whole rest of the website is indexed!

Have you guys experienced something like this?

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

Recently I experienced something new with Google! Google de-indexed the homepage of my websites, however, the whole rest of the website is indexed!

Have you guys experienced something like this?

#1 Does the site have a manual action on it?

#2 how long has it been, Google does weird crap from time to time. I've personally experienced "dance out of the index" before for about 3 days when one of my sites got a new link. (Usually when it's an extremely good link compared to the rest of the backlink profile, this can last a while.)

#3 Are you sure it's completely deindexed? Can you "quote search" some phrases on that page that are highly unique and find your site?

What's the link profile look like? Are most/all of the followed links pointing at the deindexed Home page or spread out over multiple internal URLs?

#1 Does the site have a manual action on it?

#2 how long has it been, Google does weird crap from time to time. I've personally experienced "dance out of the index" before for about 3 days when one of my sites got a new link. (Usually when it's an extremely good link compared to the rest of the backlink profile, this can last a while.)

#3 Are you sure it's completely deindexed? Can you "quote search" some phrases on that page that are highly unique and find your site?

#1 I don't think so. What I experienced with manual action is the whole website would be de-indexed!

#2 Some of them for a two days, and some of them for a couple of weeks!

#3 I search for site:domain.com and all the pages are there except the homepage!

BTW, one of them indexed again!

What's the link profile look like? Are most/all of the followed links pointing at the deindexed Home page or spread out over multiple internal URLs?

There were authority corporate sites that I use as Network Site, but still representing a corporate site! I guess most of the links pointing to the homepage.

There were authority corporate sites that I use as Network Site, but still representing a corporate site! I guess most of the links pointing to the homepage.

I would test the links.

Example, build a new internal webpage (ex: domain.com/index). Get the new page indexed in Google SERPs. After you've proven the new internal page is indexed on the SERPs then do a 301 redirect from the deindexed Home page URL to the new page/URL (domain.com/index). Wait a week or so and see If the new page/URL stays indexed.

I would test the links.

Example, build a new internal webpage (ex: domain.com/index). Get the new page indexed in Google SERPs. After you've proven the new internal page is indexed on the SERPs then do a 301 redirect from the deindexed Home page URL to the new page/URL (domain.com/index). Wait a week or so and see If the new page/URL stays indexed.

I'll try this and let you guys know about it.

ahhh, this has happened to me too! Been deindexed on two network sites, for 3 weeks now. Just the home page. The rest of the site is indexed. Weird! Has me nervous.

I would test the links.

Yukon, what would the results indicate? If that new page is deindexed, then the links are bad?

Yukon, what would the results indicate? If that new page is deindexed, then the links are bad?

If the links were bad you would either be deindexed or the entire site's ranking would have fallen to page 3 or 4.

Edit: Checking around, I'm not really seeing anybody else talking about this problem.

If your index page was hit by an algorithmic penalty, since much of the authority likely flows to it, you should see a pretty massive drop in your site's rankings.

I'm not suggesting you did this, but it's possible some plugin got updated and is out of whack. View the source of your index page, then search the code for "noindex" and just make 100% sure it's not something really basic like that.

If the index page disappeared in the SERP but there was no other change in rankings, that's what noindex does... Just sounds really weird.

Also, if there's a canonical tag, make sure it's pointing to the right location.

Double check robots.txt and what not.

There have been cases in the past where Google took manual action against sites by de-indexing the home page.

I would get the sites into Webmaster Tools and look for messages about manual actions.

The other real possibility is a technical glitch as others pointed out. Something with a plugin or noindex tag.

Yes. OP said most of the links were pointing at the Home page so unless the Home page is 100% spam or doing something weird the only thing left is the link profile.

No clue if this is connected, but the following error appeared when I brought up this page (i.e., SMA, not your domain).  I suspect it's related to the graphic that's in your signature.  If Kaspersky's having concerns, maybe Google shares them.

145437_original.png

No clue if this is connected, but the following error appeared when I brought up this page (i.e., SMA, not your domain).  I suspect it's related to the graphic that's in your signature.  If Kaspersky's having concerns, maybe Google shares them.

145437_original.png

No, there seems to be something up with the SSL certificate on my end as well.

Some people on baddie hat world are also getting this, they seem to think it's a penalty. But, they're probably baddies, so take that with a grain of salt.

Edit: see http://www.blackhatworld.com/seo/google-bot-fooled.865281/

Sigh...

WHY DOES A CERTAIN REGION ALWAYS OBSESS ABOUT COUPON BLOGS?...

OMG, THEY'RE UPDATING THE DATE ON THE PAGE... SUCH WIZARDRY...

QUICK, SOMEBODY GET ON THERE AND SPAM THEIR LONGTAIL PRO AFFILIATE LINKS!

54035093.jpg

How is this for a twist. So one of these sites where the homepage was deindexed, I think went back into the index because Seomatique wasn't sounding any alarms. Well today, I get an email telling me the site has been deindexed again.

Sure enough, I do a site:www domain com search, and the entire site is returned in the SERP, except the homepage.

But!

I do a google search, for "domain com" exactly like that, no dot, and a space between the words, and my homepage is returned as the very first result. And it's cached. I check the cache, and it was last crawled two days ago. Just to be sure, I went to hidemyass proxy's website and did a search and same thing.

I checked the other two websites with deindexed home pages and same thing. 

What gives? 

How is this for a twist. So one of these sites where the homepage was deindexed, I think went back into the index because Seomatique wasn't sounding any alarms. Well today, I get an email telling me the site has been deindexed again.

Sure enough, I do a site:www domain com search, and the entire site is returned in the SERP, except the homepage.

But!

I do a google search, for "domain com" exactly like that, no dot, and a space between the words, and my homepage is returned as the very first result. And it's cached. I check the cache, and it was last crawled two days ago. Just to be sure, I went to hidemyass proxy's website and did a search and same thing.

I checked the other two websites with deindexed home pages and same thing. 

What gives? 

Extremely weird. Do you mind PMing me one of the domains? I have no intention of doing anything besides looking at it SEMRush/Majestic and potentially inspecting the site.

Whatever the site is, I assure you I have absolutely no personal interest in it and I'll respect that fact that I'm sure you want to keep it private.

I mean I'm seeing pure garbage PBNs that are ranking sites just fine and I would like to help you if I can. (Helps me avoid problems if there is some kind of mistake type of issue.)