Sign in to follow this  

I Am Such A Dumbass...

I don't know about you guys, but you ever spend hours debugging a piece of code, only to realize that the problem is yourself? LOL - took me two hours and I finally cracked open a beer before I saw the problem (looked in the bathroom mirror). 

The worst part is that I actually KNEW what the problem was but just couldn't see it. Like having a word or name on the tip of your tongue driving you crazy...the older I get, the more I realize that I need to drink more will writing code, LOL. 

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

Yep, taking breaks is a time saver.  It's too bad I have a hard time taking a break when I'm trying to figure something out.  So I would get some vodka and start drinking.  At that point, I either figure it out or I simply don't care. haha  

I don't know about you guys, but you ever spend hours debugging a piece of code, only to realize that the problem is yourself? LOL - took me two hours and I finally cracked open a beer before I saw the problem (looked in the bathroom mirror). 

The worst part is that I actually KNEW what the problem was but just couldn't see it. Like having a word or name on the tip of your tongue driving you crazy...the older I get, the more I realize that I need to drink more will writing code, LOL. 

Worst ever is when you have unicode characters in your code from cut/paste off a website and your editor supports multiple character sets but the compiler doesn't. The compiler throws insane errors and you read the code and think the compiler is broken...

I've gone through that multiple times in my off line work. I troubleshoot control systems. Can't tell you how many times I could stare at the solution and not see it until I walk away and take a break...

I know nothing much about programming at all but as a writer/editor, I have sometimes found that I am reading some text and I know it's wrong but I just can't figure out why. If I'm editing an ebook, I tend to highlight it in red, keep on editing and, once finished, I go back to the red parts and read again.

Usually I can then figure it out. If not, I send the content back to the customer and ask them to clarify for me.

Although the job is different, the principle is the same. It's also why I am a great editor. I get given lots of work and I'm amazed at the number of errors.

It's not that the customer can't spell or write (or in some cases, it is) but that they're reading what they assume is there instead of what is actually there.

A fresh eye simply cleans it up for them.

Remember we're all human so it's easy to make mistakes or fail to find things at times. Taking a break is the ideal way to handle it.