Sign in to follow this  
Wirenut

How important is having the exact address?

A while back everyone said that having the exact address across all citations was very important, is that still true today?

My office is in my home which is a condo.

On the deed is says Unit 18  (which I like the best)

The USPS officially lists it as Apt 18

Google took the liberty to changing it to #18 (and won't let me change it)

My website says Unit 18

Most citations say Unit 18

A few citations say Apt 18

Everything else is correct.

So how bad is this?  Will it effect me?  

What should I use for future citations?  I like Unit 18 and that's what most of my citations have, but Google uses #18.  

Web Hosting

I think it used to matter a lot more than it does today. Today, if some say Street or Drive versus St. or Dr., it's not a big deal. Same with Unit 18 versus #18.

Ideally, you want everything uniform (which a service like Yext can help out a lot with for your), but it is not something I would lose any sleep over. The impact is minimal if there even is an impact anymore.

I don't think the terms "unit" "apt" or "#" make any difference as far as mail getting there.  It just designates a multi-unit complex of any sort - apartments, condos, mobile home parks, etc. 

Street, Drive, Road, Avenue, etc. could make a difference - especially in a larger town where there may be duplicate names on roadways. It's not unusual to have both a 2nd Street and 2nd Avenue in the same town for example. 

I don't think the terms "unit" "apt" or "#" make any difference as far as mail getting there.  It just designates a multi-unit complex of any sort - apartments, condos, mobile home parks, etc. 

Street, Drive, Road, Avenue, etc. could make a difference - especially in a larger town where there may be duplicate names on roadways. It's not unusual to have both a 2nd Street and 2nd Avenue in the same town for example. 

He meant for SEO purposes and building local citations.

Oh,  lol -  for some reason I took that to mean people finding him. Just reread the post and realized how bizarrely out there my answer was. 

For SEO - it it's supposedly the address of a business, I can't imagine a SE differentiating between them, though.  Just the Syntactical build of an address gives it away as one, and all the main factors - business name, street number and street, town, state - are a match.  I'd worry more about what the viewers think when they get there rather than the SEs on this one, and apt does not sound as solid as unit or # for a business.