Art Moran

Changing Content Displayed per Country, State, City?

How accurately can javascript pinpoint a visitors location to display localized content only?

I am (attempting to) build a network of sites which require a certain measure of accuracy concerning specific cities.

The goal is to use one URL to target multiple states within the US, or drill down to specific cities or regions within a state.

I've read up on some providers like Geolify, but I question if using a visitors I.P. will accurately pinpoint their location?

I know my phone service provider here in Florida shows me logging into WordPress from Tallahassee to Fort Lauderdale, is there a more SEO friendly and accurate way to have the content show for the city a visitor is browsing from?

Then, I question VPN services, clearly someone from Malaysia could appear to be in Michigan...

So does any know the most accurate way to set up one site in multiple cities and/or states where the content only shows relevant content to that region?

Lastly, I am looking to target approximatately 10 states on average per URL.

Would it be better to just buy 10 domains and build each around that region?

Or

Should I create a sub domain for each city/state I am targeting?

(Thinking this ^^^ is probably the best solution.)

I plan to do a ton of on-page SEO and start building links... But can a script accurately manage multiple cities and states and still maintain SEO values for organic searches?

SEMrush

I've never messed with any of that stuff, but even large corporations get it wrong a lot.

For example, whenever I am shopping on BestBuy.com, it has my location as somewhere in Maryland even though I am in PA. I always have to change it when I am checking for the availability of something in the store. And it is not just my home PC. I have had the same issue with them on my smartphone when I am not on my home network.

I think for the most part those things are fairly accurate, but they are never going to be right 100% of the time.

I've never messed with any of that stuff, but even large corporations get it wrong a lot.

For example, whenever I am shopping on BestBuy.com, it has my location as somewhere in Maryland even though I am in PA. I always have to change it when I am checking for the availability of something in the store. And it is not just my home PC. I have had the same issue with them on my smartphone when I am not on my home network.

I think for the most part those things are fairly accurate, but they are never going to be right 100% of the time.

That was my fear!

The end goal was to have one key phrase specific URL such as GarageDoorPros(.)com (as an example only) and be able to generate leads using a phone script that would forward inbound calls to my chosen local client from each site build. I found the phone software which will enable me to record, track, and provide analytics for each phone lead we provide and allow clients direct access to 'real time' data and stats through a member portal, but... still some grey areas, I need to shine some light on to get this built right.

Obviously, I damn sure don't want to start sending 'phone leads' to a future client such as; a Garage Door company in Florida and have prospective buyers from Texas wanting a garage door installed... that shit won't fly to well.

I was considering buying one domain (like the example above) and creating several geo-targeted sub-domains, such as:

- Florida.GarageDoorPros(.)com

- California.GarageDoorPros(.)com

- Texas.GarageDoorsPros(.)com

But... even then, I am struggling to understand how the hell I can guarantee accurate local phone leads to my 'future' client(s), without having to buy a domain for each specific State or Region, in order to guarantee my target client receives accurate leads. I mean an extra 10 bucks per domain won't kill me, as I could essentially 'clone' the WP sites and just change the geo-specific content per URL to match that region -- but finding keyword specific URL's gets more complex when I want to target multiple states/cities.

Accuracy will need to be the priority. I plan to build out the sites, control the assets, and sell all inbound phone leads for either a monthly flat fee or on a per lead basis, so essentially, I am using their money (OPM methodology) to ramp up social and local ad spends to drive more targeted leads, and guarantee the client receives a minimum of 20 to 1 returns in new "Net Sales" from our lead service, and consultancy services. (Still working out the kinks... as you mentioned on the group project, it is not a newbie friendly endeavor. :ph34r: )

In truth, I found 20 laser-targeted URL's in less than 30 minutes that could easily rank for similar types of service based 'key phrases' -- I just wanted a lazy way to 'clone' the sites in different states, but, I am starting to think -- (1) URL/Domain per region would likely produce more accurate results.

Once I have all the automation, software, and membership portal set up on the main site, I'll have to start testing.

Thanks,

Art

GeoIP/MaxMind, et. al., can only have so much accuracy, since they're ultimately at the mercy of the ISP's, who have no real strong incentive to report physical locations very accurately.

A rather brain-dead solution, but have you considered simply asking them for their zip code while you're asking for phone number?

GeoIP/MaxMind, et. al., can only have so much accuracy, since they're ultimately at the mercy of the ISP's, who have no real strong incentive to report physical locations very accurately.

A rather brain-dead solution, but have you considered simply asking them for their zip code while you're asking for phone number?

I'm not currently in a state to talk about this, but yes basically.

There's also no way this solution would be pure javascript.

But javascript could call a server which returns json data back to the script.

I would like to note here, that I would personally prefer a php solution, not a javascript solution.

So the visitor hits the php file (mod-rewritten to look like not a php file) the script spawns a thread to lookup the IP with maxmind, then returns the header and all content upto the localized parts, while waiting for the child thread to return the results of the lookup, then returns the localized results.

#Pseudocode

//incoming visitor

getIP()

spawn_child_thread()

query_maxmind (child_thread, IP)

print_header()

//wait for maxmind db to respond

wait()

select_HTML_by_geo()

print_localized_body(specific_HTML_for_this_region)

print_footer()

I'm fairly confident if you describe what you want and talk to some programmers on freelancer you can get this done relatively cheap, as long as it's pure HTML and PHP. You're adding in javascript then that's design side and is not the right way to handle this, my opinion, not 100% sure on what you want to do though. Querying maxmind via php is dev side and that's not really hard.

Doing it with JS wouldn't be much harder, but I'm just not sure why you would want to do it with JS.

JSP and PHP coder here, trying to be honest.

Unless you can't run server side code on the host, I would do it server side for sure. Way easier.

Server side, it's like 15 lines of code to bust out localized results if those results are stored in a db or a .txt file/directly in the php file (ghetto but works) files as HTML.

This stuff get complicated when you have say, a flash ad, that queries a server with maxmind, then produces different flash animations. If the goal is the change HTML based upon location on the server, as far as a programmer is concerned, that's easy.

The code may have gotten prettier, but people were doing this 20 years ago.

I'm not currently in a state to talk about this, but yes basically.

Maybe we should check your IP address to figure out which state you are in!

{ducking} ... Sorry; I just couldn't resist! :D

And just to clarify for those who aren't familiar with this:  The decision of which technology to use won't affect the accuracy of a given database.  I'm sure mki will agree.