Sign in to follow this  
Mike Friedman

Wix will pay $50,000 if you can outrank them.

Wix has launched a new contest to combat their bad public image when it comes to SEO.

We’re going to create a new Wix website optimized with the search term “SEO Hero”. You’re invited to create your own website (feel free to use any platform). If your site ranks the highest for that search term in 4 months’ time, we’ll give you $50,000. Yes, it’s that simple.

It's tempting, but it is a no win situation to jump into. 

The details of those terms are in this FAQs and this legal document. You can't cheat and by cheat they mean, use tactics against Google's webmaster guidelines.

So just about anything you do to outrank them, they are likely to contest the results saying it was against Google's webmaster guidelines.

It is just a publicity stunt that they can use to point to and snowball the people who don't know any better saying, "Look we beat every SEO in the world."

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

I'm no SEO expert by any means, but how do they intend on dealing with local results in this contest?

If you live in a small town, it would be easy to build a local site and throw a bunch of citations at it just using your home address for the business. You would likely outrank anything Wix did for searches performed in that town.

I don't think they thought this through very well. That or there are a ton of legal disclaimers in there which will let them invalidate any "winner".

6 hours ago, 100DegreesC said:

I'm no SEO expert by any means, but how do they intend on dealing with local results in this contest?

If you live in a small town, it would be easy to build a local site and throw a bunch of citations at it just using your home address for the business. You would likely outrank anything Wix did for searches performed in that town.

I don't think they thought this through very well. That or there are a ton of legal disclaimers in there which will let them invalidate any "winner".

I can see it now. 

"We checked on our super secret server from Wix.com and we rank #1. Your claim is invalid. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $50,000."

In many ways, they show how little they understand about SEO just by having this contest.

23 hours ago, 100DegreesC said:

16 hours ago, TheDarkestKnight said:

I can see it now. 

"We checked on our super secret server from Wix.com and we rank #1. Your claim is invalid. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $50,000."

In many ways, they show how little they understand about SEO just by having this contest.

Yep, that's the thing. They have left themselves so many loopholes to discredit any winning claim, it really is a no-lose situation for them.

It's smart PR. Maybe not honest or ethical, but it will be effective.

They will be able to claim victory. Plenty of people will complain about it and point out the "truth" in their silly little contest, but after their "victory", they will likely launch a barrage of press releases that will mostly bury those stories. They will only found if someone really goes searching for them. 

Lol, Wix blows.

All the major well established SEO sites should hammer the shit out of the Wix keyword just for lols. They already have the relevant backlink profiles. They should bury Wix on page #2, lol.

Even Google Images rank higher than Wix and it's not even an image keyword (ex: car image, etc...).

1112.png

What Wix is doing is creating it's own competition.  I wonder if they even thought that through.  You'd have to be doing something organic to blow them out - and if you're doing something organic, you're spending enough time to be serious about it.   LMAO 

It is kind of fun to follow this SERP and try to figure out who is trying to participate in the contest and who just happens to rank for that term. Terry Kyle certainly seems to be going after it.

Someone also created a browser extension for Chrome called "SEO Hero". I am wondering if they did that for the purpose of the contest, which is a creative way to go about it and try to bring in links naturally.

EDIT: I just noticed they updated their rules page to say it must be with a brand new domain, so the app thing would not work. Tilting the odds in their favor for sure.

That SERP totally changed since the last time I looked. Wix has the first two positions.

Might be time for Wix to launch the JcPenney link profile so the media will have a story.

15 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

It looks like GiftedSEOHero . COM is the official Wix entry. I might be wrong about that, but it seems to be the case. I cannot find them anywhere in the top 100.

Isn't that Rand Fishkin?

Look at the page title for the domain name you posted...

<title>Become an SEO Hero | Meet Fishkin's SEO Heroes</title>

The video image even looks like Rand. I didn't watch the video, maybe it's obvious.

17 minutes ago, yukon said:

Isn't that Rand Fishkin?

Look at the page title for the domain name you posted...

<title>Become an SEO Hero | Meet Fishkin's SEO Heroes</title>

The video image even looks like Rand. I didn't watch the video, maybe it's obvious.

If you read the about page, they got Rand's blessing to use his likeness.

6 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

If you read the about page, they got Rand's blessing to use his likeness.

Lol, figures, Rand milking the media attention.

The whole thing is silly, it's not even a contest, just some CEOs scratching each others ass.

11 minutes ago, yukon said:

Lol, figures, Rand milking the media attention.

The whole thing is silly, it's not even a contest, just some CEOs scratching each others ass.

No it is not a real contest. The winner is not allowed to do anything that is against Google's guidelines. So all Wix has to do is start blasting spammy links at everyone ahead of them and they can disqualify them.

On 2/1/2017 at 10:56 AM, Mike Friedman said:

No it is not a real contest. The winner is not allowed to do anything that is against Google's guidelines. So all Wix has to do is start blasting spammy links at everyone ahead of them and they can disqualify them.

So can we blast bad links at their site and get them disqualified too?