Mike Friedman

2017 - What Will You Do Different?

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

On 11/8/2017 at 9:08 AM, JohnHemmer said:

Update Time:

1 - The move to employees has been great. Still using some outsource solutions and probably always will. For certain things, there is there is just not enough consistent work to hire someone full or part-time, such as logo designs. I did have to get rid of one employee recently. It just wasn't a good fit. Other than that, the 2 employees I have right now are so much more tied in to what we are doing. Love it.

I'm also looking to add employees to my biz in 2018. Any chance you'd post (in another thread - don't want to hijack this one) how this came into being? How did you realize you needed to make the shift, how did you find them, etc? Do they work remotely, or do you have an office?

13 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

Last call for anything different or new you would like to see in the 2018 thread.

I also like it the way it is, Mike!

This way, everyone can watch the progress of other members and be encouraged that what they dream of can be accomplished. It's very encouraging!

Terra

The only suggestion I have (and it's clearly a pie in the sky idea) is to email posters monthly as a reminder to update the thread. I always forget unless someone else actually posted to it, but then again, I'm an idiot...

3 hours ago, BIG Mike said:

The only suggestion I have (and it's clearly a pie in the sky idea) is to email posters monthly as a reminder to update the thread. I always forget unless someone else actually posted to it, but then again, I'm an idiot...

im pretty sure this is already a thing. you just have to subscribe or whatever to a thread. pretty sure.

2 minutes ago, gnojham said:

im pretty sure this is already a thing. you just have to subscribe or whatever to a thread. pretty sure.

you should see a 'follow' button top right of page. i think thats what youre looking for

4 minutes ago, gnojham said:

you should see a 'follow' button top right of page. i think thats what youre looking for

hmm, actually, i dont know if you get an email, but if its like other forums, you should. im sure mike will chime in on this

You can hit the follow button and then you have some notification options. Not quite the same, but it could work. 

I could also add those interested into a user group and send out an email to that group each month. I’m not sure if everyone would want to feel like they have to do monthly updates or not. 

56 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

You can hit the follow button and then you have some notification options. Not quite the same, but it could work. 

I could also add those interested into a user group and send out an email to that group each month. I’m not sure if everyone would want to feel like they have to do monthly updates or not. 

hmm, i thought he meant notifications for threads he had posted in (and others subsequently posted in), but now upon reread, he just wants a general reminder. my bad

22 hours ago, gnojham said:

hmm, i thought he meant notifications for threads he had posted in (and others subsequently posted in), but now upon reread, he just wants a general reminder. my bad

No, I understood that - I just forget to go back and make updates unless someone else posts to it and I happen to see it. 

Part of the purpose of these types of threads is accountability, i.e.; you publish a goal and then post about what you're doing to achieve it. Unless I see a reminder, I tend to forget to jump in and update what I'm doing, LOL. 

On 11/22/2017 at 7:59 AM, ShayB said:

I'm also looking to add employees to my biz in 2018. Any chance you'd post (in another thread - don't want to hijack this one) how this came into being? How did you realize you needed to make the shift, how did you find them, etc? Do they work remotely, or do you have an office?

I am never adverse to hijacking a thread. Lol.

There were a couple of things that made me realize it was time. The first was reliability. With freelancers, I found many times they were great for a few weeks or months, and then they would often just disappear or their work would become very sporadic. I cannot count how many times I have heard the sick child / grandmother died / computer problems excuses. It was just a consistent pattern with freelancers. Very rarely were they reliable for even a solid year.

I got tired of constantly finding new ones.

It seemed like whenever I was starting a new project I was hiring a whole new staff.

The second thing was there was basically nobody I could turn things over to for any length of time. I had no real staff. I had nobody who knew much of anything beyond the scope of the tasks they were being paid for.

I have one local person. Honestly, that was entirely a convenient accident. The rest work remotely. What I have been doing for the first 3 months is they connect to an extra computer I have to do all their work. Basically, anytime I want, I can just look over at the monitor and see what they are working on (or not working on). Then if I feel comfortable with what they have been doing, I just let them work from home on their own. I don't tell them that they are on a 3-month trial, by the way. That way if I feel they still need some supervision, I can just continue having them connect to my computer to work from, and they just think it is business as usual.

I still do use freelancers for some tasks though. I will never swear them off completely. 

Hope that helps.

On 12/21/2016 at 8:53 PM, MikeTucker said:

I'm going to live every waking second of 2017 in the moment-- I'll always treasure a great many things in my past, and no doubt will spend some time reflecting on fond memories, but it's time to move forward and start making new ones.

Was far more difficult than I anticipated, but on this last day of the year I can say with absolute certainty that it was a worthy goal that made my life better in countless ways... Here are a few of them:

1. Admitted to myself that sometimes, playing on the Internet was exactly what I wanted to be doing!

2. Quit my family's company which was making me so miserable (Corporation Evil)... Started my own company which I can run with my own values and principles, was pleasantly surprised that several big clients sought me out and came with me almost immediately...  One of them summed it up when we were all out at [Fancy Restaurant] for Xmas, "It was never [Corporation Evil], it was always you."  ...Pretty great moment to be surrounded by such great human beings saying something like that to someone like me!

3. Reconnected with other parts of my family, most of whom I haven't spoken to in over a decade, some for up to 3 decades.  Also old friends that I haven't seen in about that much time.

4. Found a country artist AND a rap artist that I actually like, more evidence that we have been transported into an alternate Universe!!  :P

5. Went on a few dates for the first time since my wife passed... Nothing came of them but did make a couple good friends, which is actually also pretty awesome... And I might continue dating in the next year?  Maybe.

2017 has had some real shit days in it, but most of the year was freaking amazing despite what the world keeps trying to tell me!