Sign in to follow this  
mki

Anybody have a Live Chat Recommendation?

I'm looking at Zen Desk chat, I like the default overlay and the fact that it doesn't make a bunch of annoying sounds when the site loads, it doesn't seem intrusive but I'm a little bit confused about the pricing. I don't understand why it's limited to 24x5 unless I'm paying $55 a month. At the end of the day I guess it's not a lot of money but I really have no incite into this.

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

14 minutes ago, yukon said:

Live chats for sites with one person/webmaster are never online so what's the point?

"But John is not from the 1950s. He’s a millennial. He’s kind of impatient."

https://around.io/blog/top-live-chat-apps-shopify/

I agree. The chat will be available as much as it can be. Last I checked, the live chat is available for my competitor sites and the way the pricing works, it scales per agent.

I'm not building a business based upon some WSO here... The chat needs to be there, if they don't use that, then they're going to call my 1-800 number, which is worse for me... I would definitely rather chat with them and I think most users would prefer that route as well.

I'm kind of leaning towards purechat since the pricing structure makes more sense to me.

Edit: 6:46 Sunday, Was chatting with support on competitor site. Definitely a real person.

10 minutes ago, mki said:

The chat will be available as much as it can be.

That's not acceptable for traffic and serves no purpose.

So... why you have a live chat that doesn't work at 3AM or whenever, your competition has a contact form that works 24/7/365.

Have you ever seen a live chat box on a site/page that's rarely online? It really is aggravating from a buyer POV.

Matter of fact, I've personally bought from competition because of bogus live chat apps that aren't online and put the live chat front and center as their contact.

My advice is forget the live chat If you don't have an employee working 24/7/365 that can manage the support.

Something I personally do is collect emails before traffic can add items to an online shopping cart. The reason I do this is I monitor abandon online carts and follow up via email. I literally talk abandoned cart traffic into buying by answering questions and making recommendations.

Now If you're collecting the traffic email before they can try and use a live chat that's offline (gawd) that's a little different, it's a backup plan to salvage traffic.

1 minute ago, yukon said:

That's not acceptable for traffic and serves no purpose.

So... why you have a live chat that doesn't work at 3AM or whenever, your competition has a contact form that works 24/7/365.

Have you ever seen a live chat box on a site/page that's rarely online? It really is aggravating from a buyer POV.

Matter of fact, I've personally bought from competition because of bogus live chat apps that aren't online and put the live chat front and center as their contact.

My advice is forget the live chat If you don't have an employee working 24/7/365 that can manage the support.

I highly value your opinion on this matter and I assure you, the live chat will be available as much as it can be... It's a new domain, the majority of the traffic is only going to come when the campaigns are on, and if you know anything about paid advertising, you know the campaigns shouldn't be running at 3am... And they certainly won't be on if there isn't somebody ready to do support, whether that's me, a freelancer, or an employee... Also, I'm not running paid advertising into a bad site without customer support... Not happening... I've done 30k sales online life time (not affiliate), I'm fully aware of the importance of customer support and why my competition does what they do...

13 minutes ago, yukon said:

Something I personally do is collect emails before traffic can add items to an online shopping cart. The reason I do this is I monitor abandon online carts and follow up via email. I literally talk abandoned cart traffic into buying by answering questions and making recommendations.

Now If you're collecting the traffic email before they can try and use a live chat that's offline (gawd) that's a little different, it's a backup plan to salvage traffic.

I currently have accounts being optional as this is what was recommended from a CRO perspective, but it does miss out on some abandonment (because they can add items to the cart without entering any details.) Not everyone wants to signup for an account and I'll honestly basically do whatever you recommend there since I'm personally torn. I obviously want them to make an account but supposedly you lose conversions if you do that. You still have the user data, they just don't have an actual user account, and it's possible they could enter an invalid email address. Assuming they didn't create an account, they will get an email automatically after the purchase, inviting them to create one.

Paid traffic goes into a one time offer that requires their email, they get a sequence which notifies them that the offer is expiring at a set interval. They will get the standard mailers the customers get, who automatically get added to the list on a valid CC submit.

All of the apps I looked at for live chat turn into a contact form if it's offline. I'm not sure what your issue here is...

7 minutes ago, mki said:

I highly value your opinion on this matter and I assure you, the live chat will be available as much as it can be... It's a new domain, the majority of the traffic is only going to come when the campaigns are on, and if you know anything about paid advertising, you know the campaigns shouldn't be running at 3am... And they certainly won't be on if there isn't somebody ready to do support, whether that's me, a freelancer, or an employee... Also, I'm not running paid advertising into a bad site without customer support... Not happening... I've done 30k sales online life time (not affiliate), I'm fully aware of the importance of customer support and why my competition does what they do...

That's a potential setup to miss sales.

What If you're running a campaign at 2 in the afternoon, traffic bookmarks the page, returns at 3AM (whenever), clicks a live support that doesn't work?

Just because you run a paid campaign at a certain time doesn't mean that's the only time traffic will show up on the page. There's a lot of scenarios that could play out at 3AM (whenever).

4 minutes ago, yukon said:

That's a potential setup to miss sales.

What If you're running a campaign at 2 in the afternoon, traffic bookmarks the page, returns at 3AM (whenever), clicks a live support that doesn't work?

Just because you run a paid campaign at a certain time doesn't mean that's the only time traffic will show up on the page. There's a lot of scenarios that could play out at 3AM (whenever).

The live chat turns into a contact form and they will have to send an email, I can't have complete control over every single scenario anyways. I mean, what if they're using IE 8 or have javascript turned off?...

I would hope a customer who falls into that scenario would be realistic and understand that wanting live support at 3am isn't completely reasonable.

3 minutes ago, mki said:

I currently have accounts being optional as this is what was recommended from a CRO perspective, but it does miss out on some abandonment (because they can add items to the cart without entering any details.) Not everyone wants to signup for an account and I'll honestly basically do whatever you recommend there since I'm personally torn. I obviously want them to make an account but supposedly you lose conversions if you do that. You still have the user data, they just don't have an actual user account, and it's possible they could enter an invalid email address.

Paid traffic goes into a one time offer that requires their email, they get a sequence which notifies them that the offer is expiring at a set interval. They will get the standard mailers the customers get, who automatically get added to the list on a valid CC submit.

All of the apps I looked at for live chat turn into a contact form if it's offline. I'm not sure what your issue here is...

You need to change that, get the email first.

Always get the contact info., collecting emails on a shopping cart and during a sale is normal and something traffic should expect, especially in 2017.

Don't worry about invalid emails, most of that traffic wasn't serious about buying. You might get an occasional email typo but that doesn't happen often espically If your email capture has a 2nd form box to verify the email (no typos).

I've never seen an offline live support turn into a regular contact form. Either way, it's very unprofessional to advertise live support when it's not live, again aggravating from a buyer POV. If you don't believe me, go try one as a buyer, If you're honest about it, you'll leave saying forget this crap.

6 minutes ago, mki said:

The live chat turns into a contact form and they will have to send an email, I can't have complete control over every single scenario anyways. I mean, what if they're using IE 8 or have javascript turned off?...

I would hope a customer who falls into that scenario would be realistic and understand that wanting live support at 3am isn't completely reasonable.

What?

No offense but that offline live support is what separates an amateur site from a professional site. When traffic thinks something isn't right about a site, they leave.

33 minutes ago, yukon said:

You need to change that, get the email first.

Always get the contact info., collecting emails on a shopping cart and during a sale is normal and something traffic should expect, especially in 2017.

Don't worry about invalid emails, most of that traffic wasn't serious about buying. You might get an occasional email typo but that doesn't happen often espically If your email capture has a 2nd form box to verify the email (no typos).

I've never seen an offline live support turn into a regular contact form. Either way, it's very unprofessional to advertise live support when it's not live, again aggravating from a buyer POV. If you don't believe me, go try one as a buyer, If you're honest about it, you'll leave saying forget this crap.

The first field they get after hitting checkout is their email, it is a required field, they can not complete the checkout process with out entering something that looks like an email.

It doesn't have a second form, they put in their email and hit the button, a thank you message is loaded in with ajax.

It doesn't... The overlay completely changes, go look : https://www.purechat.com/

The Zen Desk Chat overlay changes from saying "Live Chat" to "Leave Us a Message" out of the box, you just set it up...

Edit: I'm fairly confident, if they fill some of the fields out, those fields will be pre-populated next time they hit checkout because of the user cookie. Will test. Edit2: No it doesn't and I don't get any notification of the abandoned cart, unless they fill the entire form out and proceed to the shipping options page. I am definitely doing exactly what my competitors are doing though ... I don't need to enter an email to add items to the cart and I can checkout as a guest, without creating an account. An email address is a required field.

With out stating the niche, it's consumer products, I've personally never seen a site selling consumer products that makes you enter an email address to use the cart ... But it's always the first required field to use checkout... I have seen it both ways thought where you are required to create an account or can checkout with out an account.

34 minutes ago, yukon said:

What?

No offense but that offline live support is what separates an amateur site from a professional site. When traffic thinks something isn't right about a site, they leave.

Dude, I don't the capital at this moment in time to have somebody at the support desk 24/7. If they can't "Leave a Message" at 3am, oh well ...

Even if I did, it would be a better use of resources to hire an agency to do inbound marketing...

I'm not going to pay somebody 45k a year to answer the phone and answer people's questions at 3am ... That's 60 days of an agency doing an inbound marketing campaign building links to my site ... Granted I might consider doing that, in a different order...

Lets be realistic about this, one of these priorities leads to a lot more lost sales then the other ...

I kind of feel like you're trolling me here dude...

People are used to business in the real world having regular business hours. 

I've seen more than a few sites set up with live chat that notes that chat is available between (for example) 9 to 5 EST Monday through Friday, and please feel free to send us an email if these times are not convenient for you. 

I don't think it gives an impression of unprofessionalism, but rather of a smaller business instead of a major corporation. It is so standard that people might just get the feel that the business is actually a brick and mortar concern rather than an online only presence. 

Just my 2 cents. 

2 minutes ago, HeySal said:

People are used to business in the real world having regular business hours. 

I've seen more than a few sites set up with live chat that notes that chat is available between (for example) 9 to 5 EST Monday through Friday, and please feel free to send us an email if these times are not convenient for you. 

I don't think it gives an impression of unprofessionalism, but rather of a smaller business instead of a major corporation. It is so standard that people might just get the feel that the business is actually a brick and mortar concern rather than an online only presence. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Same, wasted about an hour with this, I'm just going to signup for the purechat free plan and test it out myself.

If anybody has any recommendations on this subject, I would like to hear it before I start running hundreds of dollars of PPC into my brand every day. Which is going to be pretty soon, starting to run out of things that need to get done and I was hoping somebody had some incite into this so I'm not trying to deal with a broken chat overlay in the middle of a day.

I've used Zopim on a couple of smaller sites. It worked pretty well. Only used their basic package. I forget what it is called, but it was the one right above their free option. It was about $10 a month. 

Not sure if it will meet your needs or not. I had no problems with it though.

30 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

I've used Zopim on a couple of smaller sites. It worked pretty well. Only used their basic package. I forget what it is called, but it was the one right above their free option. It was about $10 a month. 

Not sure if it will meet your needs or not. I had no problems with it though.

Zopim is now Zen Desk Chat and it seems like it should.

And I'm an idiot, the 24x5 support is for support of the live chat itself, it doesn't limit YOU to giving support.

It's 14$ a month now unless you pay annually.

There's a free plan as well, will just test them both.

Edit: Oh Boy... I can't wait until this happens...

"Some of our customers do not understand the concept of "WebShop" and try to place orders through chat, therefore we would like to slightly alter the text to discourage this behavior. "

On 3/5/2017 at 7:08 PM, yukon said:

Have you tested that because I'm kind of thinking that you would collect more emails but hurt your overall conversion rate because the user flow is so awkward. I looked at about 40 sites today (honestly just trying to nab copy/ideas) and I didn't see a single competing site do that...

Still trying to wrap my head around why you do that, I'm assuming it's a niche thing... If you're talking about an IM/Digital product I guess I could see that.

If you meant that, when they click checkout, the first form they get is just their email address, I totally agree with that, I've seen that all over the place.

The way I have it setup currently:

When they hit add to cart, I pop an upsale in a shadow box (I'm still testing this and it's done through metafields so if I don't fill out the fields, they don't get it, so not all products will have it, honestly having some issues though)

They can either add the upsale to cart (which takes them to checkout, this is kind of problematic, since I can have it setup to pop multiple upsales in a single shadowbox, and there's no way to go back if they want all of the upsales.)

Close it, which does nothing.

Or press checkout.

The issue that I'm having is that, if they ignore the shadow box and click checkout in the drawer, it closes the shadowbox, it doesn't checkout. Seems bad and I don't exactly know how to code the JS to solve that issue. There's multiple ways I can fix this, but they all kind of suck for one reason or another.

I might end up scrapping the code and going with a plugin, but that has issues as well. The problem is that most of the plugins are either #1 overpriced for the 100 lines of code, which I can write myself (I'm glad there's 9000 lines I don't want to pay for and won't use?) #2 doesn't trigger off add to cart and and trigger when they press checkout, this seems bad to me, or they just suck completely.

I realize this is completely different topic but: I'm also pretty sure I'm just going to hit the users with the RLSA cookie if they hit the cart since I don't think any other strategy makes sense with RLSA and my current plans. I don't see how this would ever be a bad thing. If you have any incite here, I would appreciate your views.

3 hours ago, deezn said:

I have live chat on my site and it converts well (maybe to the detriment of phone calls I need to test) but it is manned 24/7.

How are you staffing that? Just curious.

2 hours ago, deezn said:

For my industry there are companies that will staff it and run it 24/7 and you pay per qualified lead. Obviously this works better for higher ticket industries. The company is Apex Chat and they service legal, home improvement etc., medical, and marketing.

http://www.apexchat.com/

Awesome, thanks. Not for me but I didn't think there would be specific industry related companies and obviously there would be. I don't see why there wouldn't be companies for ecommerce sites.

On 3/5/2017 at 6:27 PM, mki said:

I'm looking at Zen Desk chat, I like the default overlay and the fact that it doesn't make a bunch of annoying sounds when the site loads, it doesn't seem intrusive but I'm a little bit confused about the pricing. I don't understand why it's limited to 24x5 unless I'm paying $55 a month. At the end of the day I guess it's not a lot of money but I really have no incite into this.

Hi, I'm using tawk.to on one of my sites, it's free and works pretty good, give it a try.

39 minutes ago, Diego said:

Hi, I'm using tawk.to on one of my sites, it's free and works pretty good, give it a try.

It's not free without removing the totally unacceptable branding. I'll pass.