Sign in to follow this  
gnojham

talk to me abut linux

hey all 

i have a laptop that appears its hard drive is quitting.

if i replace the hard drive, i will need an operating system (right??).

the laptop didnt come with a disc, so i would have to buy something, or try out linux.

so what i was wondering is, what are the cons to using linux?

regarding my harddrive, the screen would shut off periodically and would pop back on if i moved the laptop or put some pressure on certain spots. i took it all apart, no loose wiring or cables. i isolated it to exactly the harddrive. wiggling the drive would cause the screen to turn off and on. wiggling is too strong a word, wasnt much movement needed. the slightest pressure would restoer the screen. so as time has gone on, the screen stays on less and less and i off more than on. pressing certain spots no longer helps.

hmm, i wonder, if i take the drive to a shop, could they extract the software and put it on the new drive. 

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

Linux is great, but there is a learning curve to it - if you're using Windows (my assumption) you might find it difficult. 

If you have a Windows license then yes, you can transfer it to a new hard drive or laptop so that isn't an issue. 

There are hard drive migration tools. I purchased an Intel SSD and there was "hold your hand" software that came with it.

A shop should have no issue migrating your drive.

If you have never used linux before, I do not recommend it. You can keep trying distributions until everything works but if something doesn't, you could be screwed, or the work around will be more effort than it's worth.

43 minutes ago, BIG Mike said:

Linux is great, but there is a learning curve to it - if you're using Windows (my assumption) you might find it difficult. 

If you have a Windows license then yes, you can transfer it to a new hard drive or laptop so that isn't an issue. 

crap, i forgot about the license. hmm. my license key is worn so badly i cant read it. not sure if the manufacturer will tell me the key. damn.

the only sticker i could find with the key was on the bottom of the laptop. i assume theres no other location? but if i simply copy all the files to the new drive, wont my existing copy work?

2 minutes ago, BIG Mike said:

Download and install this program to find your Product Key (License). Then save the key it to a USB stick...or write it down.

major geeks, i like major geeks. nice.

will look at that in a bit, i would need to install that on the laptop with the old drive in place, or can it be done after i swap the new and copy the files over?

If you can copy everything (clone the drive) you won't need it, but assuming you do a clean install of Windows, you will need to enter the key. 

are the hard drives fairly universal? like if my drive is a 3.5", then pretty much any 3.5" drive will work, or do i need to get the exact same model #? the connection is the main concern i guess.  i mean, even if it physically fits in the space, it still has to have the right connection, so maybe a better question is whether the connection in laptops is standard or varies from manufacturer to manufacturer?

edit: and if the original was hdd, will the connection accept ssd or would that be a different type of connection altogether?

thanks

You can use any drive of the same size and it doesn't matter if it's SSD or not (although SSD would be better/faster). HDD connections all follow a standard, as do all computer components. 

6 minutes ago, BIG Mike said:

You can use any drive of the same size and it doesn't matter if it's SSD or not (although SSD would be better/faster). HDD connections all follow a standard, as do all computer components. 

Great. This is what I was hoping for.