DarthSCULPT

Press Releases...

So I'm gonna be getting some press releases written and distributed, but the services I've found are either really expensive per PR, or have useless (to me) distro lists to news outlets I've never heard of nor are anywhere near my clients.

Do any of you use press releases? If so, what's a good service to go with?

SEMrush

If you aren't going to write it yourself, go with the spendier service that actually understands exactly how to do a press release. Press releases are very distinctive, and the average writer who's never actually been a journalist isn't usually real familiar with what they're doing with those. 

Here's something to consider, though.  Do you have any real news that would be of true community service interest to your locality?  I'm talking about public service type activities or an upcoming event?  If so, you can call the local news and tell them about it, and they might just have a reporter interview you....you'll end up with a professionally journalistic AP style article in the paper. Can't beat that for a deal. 

PRWeb is the only distribution service I have used for the past few years. Definitely recommend them.

But if you do not have anything that is "press release worthy" so to speak, I wouldn't bother doing press releases. 

Press releases really shouldn't be used in place of content marketing. They are a different animal

Make sure you are getting writers that understand press releases. They are not the same as writing an article. Most writers (and this is not a knock on writers) have no idea how to format or write press releases properly. It is not something most of them typically do.

59 minutes ago, DarthSCULPT said:

Didn't consider using this is in of place articles. I would use them for actual newsworthy events...

Then yes I would go with PRWeb and make sure they are formatted like standard press releases or it is unlikely as many of the major sites will pick them up.

I'll second PRWeb - haven't used them in years, but they did an awesome job. I actually used to sell a program called Press Release Bot that auto published to a lot of the free ones out there. 

36 minutes ago, BIG Mike said:

I'll second PRWeb - haven't used them in years, but they did an awesome job. I actually used to sell a program called Press Release Bot that auto published to a lot of the free ones out there. 

I was an owner. It worked well.

Unfortunately, these days those free PR sites don't really get much traction.

16 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

I was an owner. It worked well.

Unfortunately, these days those free PR sites don't really get much traction.

Yeah, I know...it's a shame - I miss the days when the web was the wild west.

14 hours ago, DarthSCULPT said:

So I'm gonna be getting some press releases written and distributed, but the services I've found are either really expensive per PR, or have useless (to me) distro lists to news outlets I've never heard of nor are anywhere near my clients.

Do any of you use press releases? If so, what's a good service to go with?

I'm not clear on your business. This is not the first time you've mentioned proximity to clients.  Is this a brick and mortar business or do you operate solely online?  

I've done a lot of press releases, but I submit them to local news outlets to get some local press and sometimes picked up by larger outlets.

Also like PR Web. 

Wondering what the goal of the press release, here. Is it to get speaking engagement? Hoping for links? Traffic?

2 hours ago, deezn said:

Wondering what the goal of the press release, here. Is it to get speaking engagement? Hoping for links? Traffic?

I generally have done them for brand management reasons. When someone searches for a company name, I want 2-3 pages deep of nothing but positive stories. 

They can sometimes bring some direct traffic too. 

For any kind of direct SEO value like ranking a specific keyword, they are not very valuable.