Sign in to follow this  
Wirenut

Google still giving Crawl Errors for pages that have been gone for years

I am still getting crawl errors for pages on my website that have been gone for years.  

When my website was re-done into a silo structure, most of the pages got 301 redirects.  Some pages were never re-done and just given up on, such as "Gallery.php" on the old site, there was no new gallery page on the new site.  

For some reason google is still looking for Gallery.php, even though it's been gone for almost 3 years.  Any ideas?

Even worse, Google is showing Crawl Errors for pages that never existed.  It's clearly an error in the URL, basically mixing 2 pages or repeating them in the URL.  I could understand these messed up URLs if some other website had the bad links, but I can't find that.  I don't know where Google found these messed up URLs.  Any idea about that?

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

Make sure you have a custom 404 page setup. Unless the 404's are being caused by internal links or external links that you can change, it really is not something to be concerned with. 

Someone can correct me if I am wrong on that.

Yeah, I use Joomla and there is a custom 404 page with my logo, some text, and a couple links to my homepage.

I can't find anywhere, either my site or anywhere on the internet, in which these URL's are linked.

I can 301 redirect them all, but it just seems odd to have to.

18 hours ago, Wirenut said:

Yeah, I use Joomla and there is a custom 404 page with my logo, some text, and a couple links to my homepage.

I can't find anywhere, either my site or anywhere on the internet, in which these URL's are linked.

I can 301 redirect them all, but it just seems odd to have to.

If there are no links pointing to them, I wouldn't bother with the 301 redirects. 

Check if the URLs are indexed. If they are in Google's index, I would probably use the option in Search Console to remove them. I'm guessing they are not though.

You can also use something like Screaming Frog to crawl the site and see if there are any links you are missing.