Sign in to follow this  
Wunderkind

If you could provide one tip for someone new to AdWords, what would it be?

I have been using AdWords on a couple of sites for about 2 years now. I don't spend anything substantial (less than $2000 per month), but I'm making a profit. 

If you could give 1 tip to someone just starting with AdWords or maybe even someone that has been using it but is not getting the results they want, what would it be?

My tip would be make sure you understand the importance of negative keyword lists and are constantly updating them. Understand the difference between campaign level and ad level negative keywords. Make sure you are adding your exact match keywords as negative keywords to any broad match ad groups you might be running.

Web Hosting

On 6/16/2017 at 11:19 AM, Wunderkind said:

I have been using AdWords on a couple of sites for about 2 years now. I don't spend anything substantial (less than $2000 per month), but I'm making a profit. 

If you could give 1 tip to someone just starting with AdWords or maybe even someone that has been using it but is not getting the results they want, what would it be?

My tip would be make sure you understand the importance of negative keyword lists and are constantly updating them. Understand the difference between campaign level and ad level negative keywords. Make sure you are adding your exact match keywords as negative keywords to any broad match ad groups you might be running.

Love this tip. Negative keyword lists can make all the difference between a profitable campaign and one where you lose money hand over fist. It's surprising how little attention people running AdWords campaigns pay to those lists. 

That probably would have been my tip as well, so I'll go with a different one for the sake of variety.

Ad callouts are too often ignored or overlooked. They more or less look like sitelinks under the ads that you commonly see in the SERPs. These can really make your ads stick out and improve CTR, which in turn improves your Quality Score, which means less money spent for the same ad positioning. I have added callouts on ads and seen CTR improvements as high as 30-40%.

They are free. No reason not to use them.

If I could give one tip it would be to strip yourself of the IM/SEO mindset that you have to be #1.

It is true in organic search that being #1 is going to get you the most traffic. Being #1 among the ads might get you the most traffic. It also might not be at all profitable to be there.

I had a campaign that was doing okay recently. It was profitable, but not by a lot.

Then I did something that will sound counterproductive. I cut my max CPC bids in half.

I ended up getting more traffic without raising my budget. A lot more. Went from about 180-200 clicks per day to almost 500 clicks per day.

Way more sales too. My average ad position went from 1.2 to 3.4, but it didn't matter. The campaign is now easily profitable and basically on autopilot. 

With AdWords you need to focus on profitability more than being #1 and more than just getting as many clicks as you can.

1 hour ago, JohnHemmer said:

If I could give one tip it would be to strip yourself of the IM/SEO mindset that you have to be #1.

It is true in organic search that being #1 is going to get you the most traffic. Being #1 among the ads might get you the most traffic. It also might not be at all profitable to be there.

I had a campaign that was doing okay recently. It was profitable, but not by a lot.

Then I did something that will sound counterproductive. I cut my max CPC bids in half.

I ended up getting more traffic without raising my budget. A lot more. Went from about 180-200 clicks per day to almost 500 clicks per day.

Way more sales too. My average ad position went from 1.2 to 3.4, but it didn't matter. The campaign is now easily profitable and basically on autopilot. 

With AdWords you need to focus on profitability more than being #1 and more than just getting as many clicks as you can.

I'm glad you wrote this. I know we talked about this campaign a few times. It took some arm twisting to get you to finally dropped the bids down.

I'm working on a blog post about this sort of thing.

I just had the same experience with a client. Putting together some hard numbers comparing this past weekend to the previous weekend. 

v5TtJMycS4_rDfAzm_nd6g.png

I drove the bid prices down hard on this one. 

Impressions dropped a lot, but clicks more than doubled, CPC dropped by more than half, average position did not change a ton, but as I watching the account it would start at more like 3.5 and then drop as the day went on. So either Google was pushing the ads up higher because they were performing well or competitor budgets were getting eaten up throughout the day and then we would move up as they dropped off.

That cost per conversion change is huge.

Conversion rate is still not where we want it, but a big increase there too. That actually kind of surprised me. There is no real logical reason for conversions to go up, but they did.