Sign in to follow this  
Khemosabi

Google My Business, Bad Review

I just forwarded a review that a customer left for one of my clients.  UGH... it was terrible!  

This guy does amazing work but lately, he's been screwing around and playing more than working (it's nice weather).  It's frustrating me!  I know I can leave a response in the review section, but I think it's up to him.  

Other than emailing him about the bad review and requesting a response from him, is there anything else I can do to counter this review?   As often as I've asked him, he never gets his customers to leave reviews on anything.  Yelp, GMB, his sites... nothing!  So, here's some questions....

1)  Is it normal to ask for these customer's numbers and for me to call them and request a review?

2)  If so, is this an additional charge?  Whether I'm emailing them or calling them, I see this taking up more of my time because I know he won't do it.

3)  What's a going rate for something like this?  If I have to patch up his crappy review, then he's damned sure gonna pay me for it.  

Any ideas?  

SEMrush

This might sound real bitchy.........but what are you actually contracted to do?  Are you contracted to do his site or are you conducting business for him?  At some point his business is his responsibility and if you aren't under contract for reputation control, why even bother yourself with it?  If he's not taking business seriously, that's totally his own problem.  You saw a bad review and sent it to him.......he needs to cowboy up and take care of it.  Doesn't sound like someone I'd deal with reputation control for. At all. 

29 minutes ago, HeySal said:

This might sound real bitchy.........but what are you actually contracted to do?  Are you contracted to do his site or are you conducting business for him?  At some point his business is his responsibility and if you aren't under contract for reputation control, why even bother yourself with it?  If he's not taking business seriously, that's totally his own problem.  You saw a bad review and sent it to him.......he needs to cowboy up and take care of it.  Doesn't sound like someone I'd deal with reputation control for. At all. 

I'm contracted to take care of his websites and SEO Sal.  

Because I've been working my rear off with his SEO, this bad review really pissed me off.  I know it wasn't him, but probably his guys that were left unsupervised.  Business owner has been out playing in the nice weather, thinking he has a good team to take care of the work.  

His reputation is kind of mine too.  I'm taking care of getting his name(s) out there and my business name is on his sites.   I am getting ready to redesign his websites AGAIN and I want his best foot forward.  

But, you're right, he's responsible for his business and I'm not under contract for reputation control.  That's why I asked the questions about charging extra.  It's up to him .... 

It makes sense for you to care about the bad review because that alone can turn people away, making all your work on his SEO and website seem like it's not working as well as it is.

I would talk to the business owner and let him know how important it is to get good reviews and stop the bad ones.  Have him reach out to this customer and make it right.  Some business owners don't want to do that, but losing $200 by fixing something or refunding money is worth it to get rid of a bad review that could cost him tens of thousands in lost sales.  A bad review right now when there aren't any good reviews is terrible.

As for him getting good reviews, I spoke with the owner of a large contracting service recently, one that flat rate prices and charges a LOT of money, yet has all good reviews.  He said that he uses https://www.reviewbuzz.com/ (I hope this link is allowed, I am not making money off of it).  His guys hand the customer a card that asks them to go to that website and gives them many options to leave reviews.  Apparently it works.

22 minutes ago, Wirenut said:

It makes sense for you to care about the bad review because that alone can turn people away, making all your work on his SEO and website seem like it's not working as well as it is.

I would talk to the business owner and let him know how important it is to get good reviews and stop the bad ones.  Have him reach out to this customer and make it right.  Some business owners don't want to do that, but losing $200 by fixing something or refunding money is worth it to get rid of a bad review that could cost him tens of thousands in lost sales.  A bad review right now when there aren't any good reviews is terrible.

As for him getting good reviews, I spoke with the owner of a large contracting service recently, one that flat rate prices and charges a LOT of money, yet has all good reviews.  He said that he uses https://www.reviewbuzz.com/ (I hope this link is allowed, I am not making money off of it).  His guys hand the customer a card that asks them to go to that website and gives them many options to leave reviews.  Apparently it works.

Thanks Wirenut!!!

I'm going to check that site out!  I just got off the phone with my clients mom... LOL... she does the office stuff and more.  She told me that what the customer actually typed, was misleading.  I know my client and the quality of work he puts out, and the review didn't make any sense... so I have a better idea of what's going on right now.

My client DID contact this person already, before this review.  There's a log of it.  He has an appointment with this customer to go and check out his concerns and make them right, so whew!  Learning my client's side of the story was interesting!  It's funny how a customer can bitch about something but not tell the whole truth!  Lesson learned, right there! 

For instance.... the customer's review, part of it said "they left trash and cigarette butts all over"... None of my client's workers, smoke!  But, because this is a home development, there are multiple contractors doing various things out there and it could have been any of them.  Regardless, this went on him, so I need to fix it. :)   There's more to this, but my lesson was getting to the bottom of it.  

It's extra work for me at this point, so I'm still debating on the 'fix it' charge.  

Thanks again for the link!  

It's extra work for me at this point, so I'm still debating on the 'fix it' charge.  

We have a saying in my business.  Well, we have a lot of them.  But one comes to mind in this instance is "I don't do this for practice".  

You work, you get paid.  How much depends on a lot of factors which I can't even begin to imagine in your business since I don't do it.  But it's probably good to have some type of hourly rate that could be used for time when you aren't doing a service that you have a flat rate charge for.

You're so right Wirenut!  I'm not doing this for practice!  (Thanks for that saying, I thumbtacked it on my forehead!).

Today really told a story for me.  These people are my neighbors and have been clients of mine for a long time.  His mom has her own business as well.  I continually find myself doing extra for them.  **Cause I'm stupid that way**

He (the client) is out enjoying this weekend, lake, all the stuff, and I'm here working to save his ass... hmmm. 

You're damned right, he's paying for this one! 

I made a plan today and his mom agreed about getting some additional reviews posted, quickly.  The bad review was bogus but it's still there for everyone to see.  So I have my work cut out. 

Thanks again for all your input and help!  Appreciate it!! 

11 hours ago, Khemosabi said:

I'm contracted to take care of his websites and SEO Sal.  

Because I've been working my rear off with his SEO, this bad review really pissed me off.  I know it wasn't him, but probably his guys that were left unsupervised.  Business owner has been out playing in the nice weather, thinking he has a good team to take care of the work.  

His reputation is kind of mine too.  I'm taking care of getting his name(s) out there and my business name is on his sites.   I am getting ready to redesign his websites AGAIN and I want his best foot forward.  

But, you're right, he's responsible for his business and I'm not under contract for reputation control.  That's why I asked the questions about charging extra.  It's up to him .... 

Oh that's a tough one. I can see why you feel some responsibility to clean this one up. Not sure it it can hurt you much or not - but why try to find out? 

LOL... turns out this bad review was a blessing in disguise!  

I have been begging my client for 2 years to get some reviews and now that this bad one was left, reviews are flooding in!  He's been contacting previous clients of his.  

This job was done back in April and since then, the customers have tried to adjust the sprinkler timers themselves, messing them up and also tried to connect their "did it my damned self" sprinkler system in their backyard to the front yard.  None of the issues were my client's fault and he's been out there numerous times.... even longer story entered here.....

The real lesson was the reputation management, for me.  I learned so much about countering bad reviews ( I have a lot more to learn), but I have never dealt with this before!  

Thank you for all the help above.  If you have any more tips for putting out these kind of fires, I would love to see them!!!

I have a pretty good method for intercepting bad reviews. I've seen it done but have not coded something myself to do it.

Would only take some basic website coding skills though. 

I can tell you about it over PM or Skype or something if you are interested. 

Would probably be an easy sale to this client since the bad review is fresh on his mind.