Sign in to follow this  
Wirenut

Is this the end of local SEO?!?!

How was that title for clickbait?  :P

I just got a call from Google Home Services.  They are working on getting contractors profiled in different areas because the Home Services service will be rolling out in the net few months.  

I guess there is a rush, she said they are paying for Pinkerton to do the background checks on us but they will give a $100 credit if we do it in the first week.  

She said it was $26 per lead for my type of service and they recommended an 8 lead per day minimum.  

Since this will be showing up at the top of Google, replacing the AdWords Ads and Local/Map listings, and pushing down organic...  Will this really hurt Local SEO?  

FWIW, as a contractor, I have always hated this type of service.  It works essentially the same as Home Advisor in which you have to compete with other contractors for leads.  But the difference is that this is not as optional as Home Advisor, this will be taking over the big spots on Google where most of us have been getting work from already.

Web Hosting

Stole this from Search Engine Land, but this is a pretty good image of what the ads will look like.

google-home-services-ads.png

It's not the end of local SEO by any means, but it will certainly impact some businesses more than others. It's only effecting home service businesses like plumbers, electricians, and locksmiths. 

Well, this is interesting.  :) 

Mike, are the ads in the 3 pack shown from GMB or Adwords?  What are the ads on the side?  I'm really starting to learn all of this and it's confusing to rookies! 

I have always ranked for organic traffic and I have done quite well but I am now wanting to stretch my abilities. 

#hatelearningstuff!  :) 

Thanks for any input here!

3 hours ago, Khemosabi said:

Well, this is interesting.  :) 

Mike, are the ads in the 3 pack shown from GMB or Adwords?  What are the ads on the side?  I'm really starting to learn all of this and it's confusing to rookies! 

I have always ranked for organic traffic and I have done quite well but I am now wanting to stretch my abilities. 

#hatelearningstuff!  :) 

Thanks for any input here!

Ignore the ads on the side. I think that was from before Google got rid of them.

I believe these ads are in a subset of an AdWords account, but to be honest I have not looked into them a whole lot yet because they have not rolled out in any markets where I have clients.

I am in the NY/NJ Metro area, which isn't mentioned in the article.  She said it should be live in a month.  I did my background check, they gave me $100 in free credit to get it done within 1 week, so I guess they are in a rush to get contractors profiles up.  

It's actually $26/lead.  I don't really like their policies because I have to pay for leads when they aren't actually leads, such as if a person is calling to ask how to do it themselves.  I could understand paying for clicks on AdWords for that, but this is supposed to be a lead service.  I am paying for leads to jobs, not for people to ask me how to do their own work. 

But I am still eager to see how this works out.  One of the things I am ways hated about Home Advisor is how you pay for leads that are also given to your competitors, and then you find yourself competing on price, which is a race to the bottom.

2 hours ago, Wirenut said:

I am in the NY/NJ Metro area, which isn't mentioned in the article.  She said it should be live in a month.  I did my background check, they gave me $100 in free credit to get it done within 1 week, so I guess they are in a rush to get contractors profiles up.  

It's actually $26/lead.  I don't really like their policies because I have to pay for leads when they aren't actually leads, such as if a person is calling to ask how to do it themselves.  I could understand paying for clicks on AdWords for that, but this is supposed to be a lead service.  I am paying for leads to jobs, not for people to ask me how to do their own work. 

But I am still eager to see how this works out.  One of the things I am ways hated about Home Advisor is how you pay for leads that are also given to your competitors, and then you find yourself competing on price, which is a race to the bottom.

Not sure if you've tried this or if it would work for you, but back in the day (when I was a locksmith), I would give out business cards with a code on the back to get people to send me business. I'd give the customer a small discount and pay the person with the code $5...it actually brought in a shitload of service calls, especially after hours. 

On 19/07/2017 at 1:34 AM, BIG Mike said:

Not sure if you've tried this or if it would work for you, but back in the day (when I was a locksmith), I would give out business cards with a code on the back to get people to send me business. I'd give the customer a small discount and pay the person with the code $5...it actually brought in a shitload of service calls, especially after hours. 

Thats an awesome tactic! definitely have to keep that one in mind for my parents business!