Sign in to follow this  
ShayB

What do you wish you knew when you started your writing biz?

If you were just starting out again as a writer, what lessons/advice would you like to have?

What were the best lessons you learned along the way?

SEMrush

12 hours ago, ShayB said:

If you were just starting out again as a writer, what lessons/advice would you like to have?

What were the best lessons you learned along the way?

Setting things up the right way from the get go!  

I didn't start out as a writer, I don't even consider myself a 'writer' now.  But in my heart, I am.  

I get really frustrated at how to format things, which font, where to place headlines.. basically what I said, how to set yourself up the right way from the get to.  

I spend more time fixing my work than I do writing it.  

The other lesson is learning where and how to market yourself.  

Shay,

When starting up a writing biz, you should never under price yourself to get startup clients with the plan of raising prices later. It doesn't matter how talented you are in writing, your previous low rate clients won't pay more. They will move on to other low rate writers. So I would advise knowing your worth and charge for it from the get go. You will get loyal customers that way that will keep coming back for more.and recommend you to others. Unless they want to keep you a secret for themselves, lol!.

A lot of clients won't even consider low rate writers as they instantly think of "writer's mill" which has a negative connotation attached.

There is nothing wrong with running a sale to get start up clients, just make sure you post what your regular price is right from the get go.

Hope this helps! 😊

Terra

22 hours ago, Terra said:

Shay,

When starting up a writing biz, you should never under price yourself to get startup clients with the plan of raising prices later. It doesn't matter how talented you are in writing, your previous low rate clients won't pay more. They will move on to other low rate writers. So I would advise knowing your worth and charge for it from the get go. You will get loyal customers that way that will keep coming back for more.and recommend you to others. Unless they want to keep you a secret for themselves, lol!.

A lot of clients won't even consider low rate writers as they instantly think of "writer's mill" which has a negative connotation attached.

There is nothing wrong with running a sale to get start up clients, just make sure you post what your regular price is right from the get go.

Hope this helps! 😊

Terra

I'm building an email list of bloggers that all blog on extremely similar topics. This happens to be topics that I am extremely knowledgeable about.

I was kind of thinking that I could do exactly what you just said not to do, if I ever need some extra money.

So I avoid that mistake; what kind of rates do you suggest for high quality content from an expert?

I can PM you an example if you like.

Thing 'bout writin' is, there is prolly so much more soulful stuff dead center than IMA FIX UP YOUR PIPES IF'N YR HEATIN' DIES.

Which is not to sound precious, trust me.

It is simply that diligence & heart has no easy access to renderable solootions gonna suit anywan & evrywan — a weird kinda irony seein' how the internets is mostly 75% words, 20% LoLcats an' 18% propaganda.

That is why I chose writin' over math, I guess.

In writin' we got the intrinsic currency of transformation, fiction to sales.

So when ima look back on geeky teen Princess, figurin' how more accomplished she could be in termsa TECHNEEK or HAPPNIN' SMARTS if only she knew what I knew now ... likely I would not dare face her for her brazen desire to speak out troo an' clear.

tbh 16yo Moi is an impossible creature, exotically uninformed an' improbably unfulfilled.

If it appears sumtimes that I am wishin' always to bite off heads an' do battle with monsters, I would wish always to preserve that vibe steada rollin' out contemporary expertise to order.

Thing 'bout tamara is how it ain't happened yet, an' anythin' scripts us sumplace exotic in the void gotta count for sumthin', hence all writers as SEZ SO.

Even if 75+20+18=114.

(Which it don't, btw.)

On 9/2/2018 at 1:30 PM, mki said:

I'm building an email list of bloggers that all blog on extremely similar topics. This happens to be topics that I am extremely knowledgeable about.

I was kind of thinking that I could do exactly what you just said not to do, if I ever need some extra money.

So I avoid that mistake; what kind of rates do you suggest for high quality content from an expert?

I can PM you an example if you like.

mki,

It's a little difficult to say what to charge for expert content without knowing the specialty. I can however give you ball park figures. For writing in general, I wouldn't charge less than $50 per 500 words. And when I wrote for the the medical industry, it was $75 for the same and those prices actually are on the low end of the scale.

I would love to see a sample of your writing and take it from there.

Terra

Problem I got with content is how it favors lookin' in on word count.

For copy, the deal is way simpler — what is the quickest & easiest way to fire up the desired effect?

That's when the word count to dollar ratio gets real weirsdy, spesho with straps an' any kinda elevator messagin', bcs pinpoint succincto rocks out over meanderin'.

1 hour ago, Princess Balestra said:

Problem I got with content is how it favors lookin' in on word count.

For copy, the deal is way simpler — what is the quickest & easiest way to fire up the desired effect?

That's when the word count to dollar ratio gets real weirsdy, spesho with straps an' any kinda elevator messagin', bcs pinpoint succincto rocks out over meanderin'.

Of course you wouldn't pay that for elevator music accompanying fluff. 😉

Magazine articles are one area where straight out pricing per piece is essential. Also for ghostwriting books for authors. It all depends on whom and what you are you are writing for.