Sign in to follow this  
Wirenut

Buying domains of other local businesses?

Another local electrician went out of business.  His website usually showed up 1-3 results after mine for searches in the various towns we service.

Is there any value in buying his domain?

If so, what would be the best thing to do?  Just forward his domain to mine?  Setup a small site with his domain?

SEMrush

I would say yes if the domain is general enough.  If it's their name, maybe not.  Depends if they have it registered, too.  What I mean by that is at any time the business can file a dispute with the registrar and prove that it's their company name and you could lose it.  I've had to take back ownership of domains before for clients.  I've always won because the owner of the business proved they owned it, usually by their business license.  I'd check to see if they still have an active license first.  

It says that it expires next month.  The domain is a company name.  The company is completely gone and the owner passed away.

I was friends with the owner, we worked together at times and talked about merging companies, but never did.  I don't want this whole thing to seem insensitive, but if it's just going to go off into nowhere land, I might as well put it to good use.  

22 hours ago, Wirenut said:

It says that it expires next month.  The domain is a company name.  The company is completely gone and the owner passed away.

I was friends with the owner, we worked together at times and talked about merging companies, but never did.  I don't want this whole thing to seem insensitive, but if it's just going to go off into nowhere land, I might as well put it to good use.  

I'd say, buy it, then redirect it to yours.  If you're interested, because you knew the owner, maybe right a little note about him?  "He was a great guy and I'm proud to service his customers the way he would want them taken care of."  Something to that affect?  

The customers he had that weren't aware of him passing away, will likely appreciate the sentiment.  Hence, establishing instant trust.  ??  I'd take the time to mention your and his conversations about merging that you had in the past as well.  If you give it a personal feel, you'll take the 'insensitive' factor that you're concerned about out of the equation.  Perhaps?