• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Tagiscom

Blistering Fast Free Wi Fi.

Discovered this trick yesterday, had to download quite a few products, around the 50 - 100m each file sizes, and l knew that with my slow Wi Fi at home, l tried this at my local shopping ctr.

I waited til all the shops closed, went upstairs to the Pancake Parlour, with my Laptop, and downloaded each file, glad that l did since the speed difference was pretty impressive.

I did what would normally take me a day or two of uploading, in an hour, and the battery stood up pretty well, (l lost about half or still had an hour left).

So l will certainly use that again.

And you have to wait til the shops close to get the boost in speed, do it during shops open times, and it is a lot slower, (more people on laptops).

Obviously since this is public Wi Fi, you wouldn't go to your bank accounts or download sensitive material, but if your home Wi Fi is a bit on the slow side, and you need to upload a lot of material give it a try, you will probably be blown away by the speed, (as l was) and it is free.

B)

Web Hosting

Can't you connect your Laptop to your router with a Cat 5 cable? It's a hell of a lot faster then WiFi..

6 hours ago, BIG Mike said:

Can't you connect your Laptop to your router with a Cat 5 cable? It's a hell of a lot faster then WiFi..

Yes, but the portability would be lost, or l would have to sit in a room which would require heating, etc, to do so.

Not a good idea, especially in a State that has one of the highest, electricity utility rates in the world.

22 minutes ago, whateverpedia said:

Gee, who'd have thought that when you decrease the number of devices trying to access a limited supply of bandwidth, the bandwidth would increase on a per-device basis.

Genius.

Yeah, ok, but there was also reluctance to try in, because of the fear of viruse's and some hacker being nearby, or reaching some unknown upload limit.

I uploaded about a gigs worth a few days ago, and will certainly use this trick again when l upload 3 gigs worth, for a package product soon.

B)

7 hours ago, Tagiscom said:

Yes, but the portability would be lost,

It seems to me that if you have to be in a certain place during certain times, you're losing portability anyways. That said, you don't need to stay connected via Cat 5 all the time, only temporarily when you're doing a large download/upload.

l would have to sit in a room which would require heating, etc, to do so.

Not a good idea, especially in a State that has one of the highest, electricity utility rates in the world.

A Cat 5 cable can be up to 100 meters (328 feet), so you could run a cable from your router to a room that is heated easily enough. That actually gives you the best of both worlds - portability via WiFi for everyday use, while making available a much faster connection as needed from the comfort of your own home. 

Yeah, ok, but there was also reluctance to try in, because of the fear of viruse's and some hacker being nearby, or reaching some unknown upload limit.

And again, running a Cat 5 cable as I described removes the security risks associated with publicly accessible WiFi. The upload limit is determined by your ISP, so you can take advantage of your entire bandwidth at home. 

I couldn't do the work I do without being hardwired, but my wife mainly uses WiFi. However, both at home and at school she plugs in a Cat 5 cable whenever she's uploading/downloading large files (mainly videos). Again, it's the best of both worlds for her and, as for me, I don't require the portability she does.