Sign in to follow this  
ShayB

30 Day Challenge -- November 2017 -- Learn Something New

Thanks to @Khemosabi for this idea!

For November, your challenge is to learn a new skill that will...

• help you in your business, or
  • help you in general, or
  • is something you've always wanted to learn.

Take today and tomorrow to decide what to learn, and then let's hear what you decide and how your progress goes! :) 

SEOPress WordPress SEO plugin

OK, I'll jump into this one - I've started really digging into the nuts and bolts of "Mobile First, Responsive" website design. Yes, there are numerous systems out there like Bootstrap, but these are bloated, "one size fits all", frameworks that continually change and are difficult to customize. 

So, my goal is to develop a robust, yet flexible CSS3-based framework with as small a footprint as possible to:

• Normalize CSS to the way I work
  • Provide instant Mobile First Responsiveness 
  • Must Work Cross Browser

When finished, I should be able to drop it into any project without any further changes to speed up development. 

My stretch goal for the month is to build a companion JavaScript framework to support the "Bells and Whistles" I typically use, again to expedite development.

Lastly, I'll be integrating all of this into my Revelation Development system...

Don't worry if it sounds too technical - it's an important goal for me to achieve :huh:

Always wanted to learn html, C, C++ and yesterday I was convinced it would be my goal (again!) ...but I know I'm not going to follow-through with it... It's just too easy to pay other people to do the tedious work!

Years ago I had a ton of sites and dominated some "micro-niches" but took them all down when my wife got sick, it was just too much to manage.  I don't really want to go that route either, but I'm only operating in two niches right now and so I have an overabundance of time on my hands these days... So what I'll do is spend some time doing niche research.

...I don't actually need it to be profitable... I guess I'm just looking for another hobby?  That might sound incredibly lame, but that's where I'm at in life right now, LOL!!

9 hours ago, MikeTucker said:

Always wanted to learn html, C, C++ and yesterday I was convinced it would be my goal (again!) ...but I know I'm not going to follow-through with it... It's just too easy to pay other people to do the tedious work!

Years ago I had a ton of sites and dominated some "micro-niches" but took them all down when my wife got sick, it was just too much to manage.  I don't really want to go that route either, but I'm only operating in two niches right now and so I have an overabundance of time on my hands these days... So what I'll do is spend some time doing niche research.

...I don't actually need it to be profitable... I guess I'm just looking for another hobby?  That might sound incredibly lame, but that's where I'm at in life right now, LOL!!

Hobbies are good! They keep you out of trouble! :D 

The time has come, for me, to automate a lot of my businesses.  *Yep, should have been doing it all along, but hey, I like to work the hard way*.

I have 4 newsletters that I need to get going, right away.  In doing so, I will be creating a subscriber list and then an autoresponder series.  I will also be connecting these newsletters to blogs and social media.  

Part duex is going to be 2 fold.  

On 11/1/2017 at 4:37 AM, ShayB said:

is something you've always wanted to learn

I mentioned in October's thread that I am worn out with the farriers around here.  I will be taking a series of lessons (online) to learn about this.  I've already been studying a lot, but now it is time for me to 'quit being a baby' and get out there and tackle it.  Winter is perfect for it, hoof growth is slow.

Second verse same as the first (almost).  I have a whole series of DVD's of training videos for my horses.  While I have always trained/broke my own I know that I could improve their performance and have a better working relationship with them.  Again, winter is perfect for this because I am indoors more and I seriously hate watching television.  

On 11/2/2017 at 8:34 PM, ShayB said:

I've decided to learn how to use Excel.

I can use it, of course, but only the basics. I'm going to study it in-depth this month. :)  

I've made a commitment to watch one video a day, 5 days a week.

I've been amazed at what Excel can do! :o

On 11/3/2017 at 3:29 PM, Khemosabi said:

OOPS!!!  forgot to add.  Due to a suggestion, request, demand, and a snarky few minutes of laughing at me, I will also learn how to properly tag.  

This was a BIG request.  :angry:

it wasn't a "Request" :lol: