Sign in to follow this  
discrat

Oh my, my, little Caleb

And exactly what opportunities do the people of sub-Saharan Africa have "thrown at them every day"?

Another Tony Robbins who will probably make a fortune selling "How To.." seminars, books and videos to gullible people. Either that or he'll end up in jail. Or both.

Yeah, smarta***e, brat, that should get thrown into an African village, with starving children, because UNICEF supplies are blocked by some F***witted gorillas.

:ph34r:

On 11/26/2017 at 3:42 AM, whateverpedia said:

And exactly what opportunities do the people of sub-Saharan Africa have "thrown at them every day"?

Another Tony Robbins who will probably make a fortune selling "How To.." seminars, books and videos to gullible people. Either that or he'll end up in jail. Or both.

Tony Robbins (and this kid) have information that can be useful if...if...you already have some resources, live in a democracy, live in an area where you can easily see opportunities for businesses, education, investment. 

That leaves a lot of people out. If you are dirt poor, you will find it far harder to advance at all. Having a little bit of money makes a whole lot of difference. There are people that live in areas where they will never even know that there are ways to get ahead...besides simply working more hours. 

If you are white (or an exceptional person of color),are educated, a native English speaker, and have some money already (not a lot is needed), then a Tony Robbins (or another guru) can show you the road to greater wealth. But even if I showed someone the road to monetary success, that information would do them little good if they didn't have a car...have access to a car...didn't have gas...or knew how to drive.

It takes several things to be in the top 5% in income. Intelligence, education (although maybe not from a college), drive, social skills, and some luck.

There are two kinds of people that go to Tony Robbins rallies. (or any meeting to get wealthier)...people who are already doing well and just want to get a new idea or two...and the desperate. ...people looking for someone to save them. And there is very little in between. And it's almost impossible to make money as a speaker by just selling to the already successful. 

I speak from experience and the experience of friends in that business.

About the kid. I know nothing about him. But it's possible that he believes everything he says. But 20 years from now? No. You may be a motivational speaker...but the business of being a motivational speaker teaches you a lot about the reality of achievement. 

Watch any "Get rich quick" speaker. Everything is easy...the secrets have just been withheld from you...ad they spend their time on stage talking about the benefits of being wealthy....what you can achieve in your business. An people buy into the results they could conceivably get. 

Sadly, very few people are really interested in the "How"...the work involved.  They buy the fantasy. They are buying "hope".

And that's the business of the motivational speaker. They sell Hope.

3 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

It takes several things to be in the top 5% in income. Intelligence, education (although maybe not from a college), drive, social skills, and some luck.

It's a fact and been proven that our Status in life is less about "self Determination" and "Choices" and more about "genetic predisposition". This reality tends to debunk the Alt. Right and their insistence that it all comes down to hard work and choices.That's bullsh@t .

Of course some of it does, but I think you would be first to admit that your success and intelligence in large part can be attributed to biological and genetic factors you had no control over and I will admit mine is as well :)

Of course it does take work, no question but we all know those people who just do NOT have it "upstairs". And no matter how hard they try it will never happen for them. That's not being mean but just being honest.

On the flip side I also think it is paramount to use our Gifts responsibly and use them to the benefit of those in society who maybe were giving raw deals or terrible families to grow up in, lack of education, lack of basic genetic markers etc..etc.. No pun intended but having "Compassion" for your fellow man, imo ,trumps everything..smarts, wit etc.etc..

Also, in a Capitalistic society by it's very nature there are ALWAYS going to "losers and "winners". Think about it. Joe's meat and fish company will flourish if Joe the Owner can pay his drivers low wages and keep them there. Not saying it's right but it is what it is. Of course we are learning that advancement and giving raises does also raise worker morale and productivity which is a legit argument

23 minutes ago, discrat said:

It's a fact and been proven that our Status in life is less about "self Determination" and "Choices" and more about "genetic predisposition". This reality tends to debunk the Alt. Right and their insistence that it all comes down to hard work and choices.That's bullsh@t .

Of course some of it does, but I think you would be first to admit that your success and intelligence in large part can be attributed to biological and genetic factors you had no control over and I will admit mine is as well :)

Of course it does take work, no question but we all know those people who just do NOT have it "upstairs". And no matter how hard they try it will never happen for them. That's not being mean but just being honest.

On the flip side I also think it is paramount to use our Gifts responsibly and use them to the benefit of those in society who maybe were giving raw deals or terrible families to grow up in, lack of education, lack of basic genetic markers etc..etc.. No pun intended but having "Compassion" for your fellow man, imo ,trumps everything..smarts, wit etc.etc..

Also, in a Capitalistic society by it's very nature there are ALWAYS going to "losers and "winners". Think about it. Joe's meat and fish company will flourish if Joe the Owner can pay his drivers low wages and keep them there. Not saying it's right but it is what it is. Of course we are learning that advancement and giving raises does also raise worker morale and productivity which is a legit argument

Try as I might, I couldn't find anything in this post to argue with.

There is so much that is beyond our control. We can't control who our parents are, or how they raised us. We can't control our color, our language, or where we were born. We can't control what religion we were born into, or the traditions we believe in. We can't control our prejudices, our ambitions,or our work ethic. 

We can't control our intelligence, our social abilities, our drive, how quick we are to anger.....in fact, we can control very little. 

For example, when I met my wife, I went out of my way to talk to her, ask her out, and be around her. Sometimes I asked myself what early events in my life caused me to prefer her (her type) over others....what about her triggered this attraction? But I know this, I did not choose to be attracted to her. I just was. I didn't choose to be narrow in my views, I just am. And I often wonder what brain chemistry, past events, memories, or trauma caused my personality to be shaped the way it is. 

2 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

And I often wonder what brain chemistry, past events, memories, or trauma caused my head to be shaped the way it is.

I've often wondered about that myself ;)

Said mr potato head

2 hours ago, Claude Whitacre said:

If your head could talk, what do you think it would say?

My head's fully loaded with the latest audio in and out technology and I would hope yours is as well. Although, reading some of your posts, perhaps the audio out is coming from somewhere else?

On 11/27/2017 at 4:43 PM, Claude Whitacre said:

For example, when I met my wife, I went out of my way to talk to her, ask her out, and be around her. Sometimes I asked myself what early events in my life caused me to prefer her (her type) over others....what about her triggered this attraction? But I know this, I did not choose to be attracted to her. I just was. I didn't choose to be narrow in my views, I just am. And I often wonder what brain chemistry, past events, memories, or trauma caused my personality to be shaped the way it is. 

It's the code, dude... the code.

I watched a couple of videos on his YouTube channel. I give him credit for seeming to have a go-getter attitude and for wanting to do more than just sit at home and play video games.

That being said, the kid is full of it. I watched one video where he was on a cell phone "closing a $10,000 deal" for a speaking engagement with some big company. You couldn't hear the person on the other end. My guess is there wasn't anyone on the other end. It was such a fake and rehearsed call. If he admitted it was a fake call to teach handling objections or something like that, that would be one thing. He never did. 

This video about being poor... You could argue that some of what he says is true, but the problem is the messenger. If he was born to a dirt poor family and pulled himself out of that, then he could spout off like this. Considering his apparent lot in life, he just sounds like an ass.

His message was basically that all poor people are lazy. 

On 11/26/2017 at 2:32 AM, discrat said:

Motivator or Naive young man ??

I hope somebody comes back here in 10-12 years to report on where he is now. Reality is going to hit this kid like a ton of bricks.

On 11/26/2017 at 2:32 AM, discrat said:

Motivator or Naive young man ??

See, here's the thing. I'm sorry for getting all biblical, but the Bible says, "The poor you will have with you always"

BOOM!

Some people will never be wealthy due to many factors, some self inflicted and some due to factors beyond their control, plain and simple. That's why I don't listen to "prosper preachers" or "attract money" motivational speakers. Getting pumped up is one thing, but reality is quite another.

PS. Mike, if I wasn't supposed to mention the Bible, feel free to delete this. 

Terra