Sign in to follow this  
100DegreesC

Webhosts offering free SSL?

Has anyone else been getting the emails lately that your webhost has automatically upgraded your account to include free SSL? I have quite a few sites with different hosts. I've probably gotten 15-20 of these emails in the past 3 weeks.

I would say Google is getting what they wanted by announcing it was a ranking signal. Many companies out there made the switch, but now if hosts are going to offer it for free, everyone is going to have it. Kind of discounts any ranking benefit it may have provided, although that has always been highly questionable.

Bear in mind that a number of open source CA (Certificate Authority) systems have sprung up providing free SSL, which hosts are jumping on (finally) to pass on to their clients. Things to watch out for:

1. Make sure your hosts don't automatically switch your sites over to SSL, without your approval. There's usually some underlying work that needs to be done to prepare for the change. 

2. Make sure the CA they're using isn't brand new - you want one with at least a few years under your belt for stability. 

3. With most hosting you should be able to select your own CA, regardless of what the host offers. Depending on your needs, if you decide a paid certificate is more appropriate, i.e.; an EV (Extended Validation) then shop around...do NOT buy it through your host as they're most likely just the middle-man, jacking up the price. 

Here's a link that explains some of what's going on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_authority

Even if they are actually providing it. It will be like that you register a domain with a hosting company that will provide a free domain charge for one year. But that's it, you have to pay for it from the second year's start.

1 hour ago, expmrb said:

Even if they are actually providing it. It will be like that you register a domain with a hosting company that will provide a free domain charge for one year. But that's it, you have to pay for it from the second year's start.

None of them I have seen have said they are doing that. It's an added part of their packages.

On 12/3/2017 at 3:58 PM, BIG Mike said:

1. Make sure your hosts don't automatically switch your sites over to SSL, without your approval. There's usually some underlying work that needs to be done to prepare for the change. 

I just finished correcting a serious problem caused by an over zealous host doing this. Someone I help out from time-to-time was locked out of the site's forum due to the configuration of the free SSL, which pretty much screwed up a number of settings through the host's automated SSL deployment.

I suspect the forum owner is still going to have to do a bunch of follow up work to tweak things back to normal.