Sign in to follow this  
expmrb

A site just fell from its usual rankings

Recommended Posts

One of our site's is producing unique and useful content as it gets to its users.

The site has published almost 50 articles as of date. Its almost 3 years old.

And it has done no link building so far. Maybe posted in a few forums in the form of signatures. But as you guys know they don't provide any real value.

Due to the social media presence and updates given about the site's articles. The site has about 20 quality backlinks each with great anchor texts and they are provided from well knowned sites in its niche. The site's traffic is almost the same every time of the year. It may fall in summer a bit but that's it (lets say from 100uv to 80uv).

Now after 2nd January. The site's ranking has fell in a significant amount. Its now lets say from 100uv to 10uv. Its not that its competitors have updated with unique and great content or their links have gotten better. Nor, it has gained any odd backlinks that can decay its rank. So, Anybody any suggestions about this?

I have tried posting this on another forum but I haven't got much from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What kind of links does the site have? All you say is that it has about 20 quality backlinks. Are they guest posts? Directory links? Something else?

One thing that could be a problem is the forum signature links you mention. If any of them were helping to boost the site's rankings in the first place, they can easily degrade over time. They degrade because normally the threads where those links appear get pushed back deeper and deeper into the forum as new threads are posted.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The site has earned those links. And they are very good. The pages referring those links are also very good in terms of getting ranked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 11:30 PM, expmrb said:

The site has earned those links. And they are very good. The pages referring those links are also very good in terms of getting ranked.

Whether they earned them or not does not matter. What I am saying is that those type of links degrade in strength over time because they get buried deeper into the site typically. 

For example, a forum thread might be popular and stay near the top of a forum for a while. However, over time, the thread will probably die off and eventually fall back further and further in the pages of threads. Also, as more people are posting, they might be adding more links, making the link pointing at your site weaker.

 

And here is another question... how far have the rankings dropped? I'm not talking about traffic. I mean the actual rankings for keywords that were bringing in traffic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

Whether they earned them or not does not matter. What I am saying is that those type of links degrade in strength over time because they get buried deeper into the site typically. 

For example, a forum thread might be popular and stay near the top of a forum for a while. However, over time, the thread will probably die off and eventually fall back further and further in the pages of threads. Also, as more people are posting, they might be adding more links, making the link pointing at your site weaker.

 

And here is another question... how far have the rankings dropped? I'm not talking about traffic. I mean the actual rankings for keywords that were bringing in traffic.

The site's ranking has dropped from 2-4 rank of first page to 5-6 page. And what's is more unusual that it occurred over night after 2nd January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, expmrb said:

The site's ranking has dropped from 2-4 rank of first page to 5-6 page. And what's is more unusual that it occurred over night after 2nd January.

So the rankings dropped to #5 and #6 on the first page or they dropped to page 5 and page 6 of the results?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

So the rankings dropped to #5 and #6 on the first page or they dropped to page 5 and page 6 of the results?

 

 

Actually the rankings are fluctuating from #5 to #6 or even #7-8 page each day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mike Friedman said:

My guess is that the site was penalized then. There really is no other reason for a site to drop 50+ spots.

 

But the links are okay. We have checked them, And the content is also okay as I mentioned earlier in my first post. Than what's hurting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, expmrb said:

But the links are okay. We have checked them, And the content is also okay as I mentioned earlier in my first post. Than what's hurting?

There could be links you have not found yet that are out there. No link checker finds all the links a site has and sometimes they take months to find new links.

Your site could also be hacked and that is why Google dropped it.

Without seeing the site, all that anyone can do is guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The site is not hacked that's for sure. And anyway, thanks. I know without sharing some more information you guys can't help us. I just asked that if you guys have some knowledge about this kind of thing than I might get some info.

We will be keep looking for links. And in the mean time I will let you know here on this thread if there is any development.

Well thanks again Mike.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, expmrb said:

The site is not hacked that's for sure. And anyway, thanks. I know without sharing some more information you guys can't help us. I just asked that if you guys have some knowledge about this kind of thing than I might get some info.

We will be keep looking for links. And in the mean time I will let you know here on this thread if there is any development.

Well thanks again Mike.

5

I would double check the hacking, especially if it is a Wordpress site. Sometimes sites can be hacked in ways that are not so obvious. You do not always just find one of those "Your site has been hacked by..." messages. 

Sometimes they will use hidden links on pages that you cannot see unless you dig into the code or look at the text-only version. A lot of times they infect the database and cause hundreds of new pages to be created. These pages are HTML pages and not created within Wordpress, so you do not see them in the admin dashboard. I had a client several years ago that had that happen to them. There were 485 pages created on the domain. They were all auto-generated from a MySql injection.

Good luck.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mike Friedman said:

I would double check the hacking, especially if it is a Wordpress site. Sometimes sites can be hacked in ways that are not so obvious. You do not always just find one of those "Your site has been hacked by..." messages. 

Sometimes they will use hidden links on pages that you cannot see unless you dig into the code or look at the text-only version. A lot of times they infect the database and cause hundreds of new pages to be created. These pages are HTML pages and not created within Wordpress, so you do not see them in the admin dashboard. I had a client several years ago that had that happen to them. There were 485 pages created on the domain. They were all auto-generated from a MySql injection.

Good luck.

 

Thanks for the advice again we will look into it. But the site is from Joomla.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2018 at 11:15 AM, expmrb said:

Thanks for the advice again we will look into it. But the site is from Joomla.

I think Mike was just using Wordpress as an example because it is so popular. Joomla and other platforms can be hacked too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea how experienced you are when it comes to researching your pages to see If they're hacked, but something like base_64 code can be difficult to find unless you know to look for it.

This link has more info.: How to check your site for base64 links

Dropping 50 places on the SERPs is a sure sign something is wrong on your end. It could be something as simple as bad uptime on a host server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.