Sign in to follow this  
ShayB

Page or Blog Post?

As far as Google, Bing, etc., are concerned: do they give any preference to a page vs. a blog post?

In other words, if I'm going to write a lengthy article, would it make more sense to put it up as a page or blog post? Does it matter for SEO purposes at all?

Web Hosting

3 hours ago, ShayB said:

As far as Google, Bing, etc., are concerned: do they give any preference to a page vs. a blog post?

In other words, if I'm going to write a lengthy article, would it make more sense to put it up as a page or blog post? Does it matter for SEO purposes at all?

It does not make a difference. Search engines just see it as HTML.

Really the only thing you need to worry about with a page versus blog post is in your site structure. Depending on how you want to organize things, one might be easier for you than the other. But even then, choosing one versus the other is not going to restrict what you can or cannot do really.

Page or Post doesn't matter but Google does look for revision numbers in the HTML source code of Wordpress installs. I know this for a fact, Google sent me a message in WMT telling me to update one of my old blogs for security (lol).

Google also categorizes blogs, again most source code for CMS installs have default file names, file locations, revision formats, etc... Notice how all these blog descriptions include (blog).

I'm not saying this won't allow you to rank pages because it's a blog, just pointing out Google knows it's a blog because all CMS use a cookie cutter structure.