Wirenut

Link to city based landing pages on every page?

When it comes to a website for a local business and there are city based landing pages (let's say 15 different towns in that area), is it best to have links to each landing page on every page of the site?  Or have just one page for the "Service Area" where all the cities are listed and linked to?

I've seen it both ways.  Many times there will be a section in the footer or sidebar where it lists all the cities and links to their landing page.  Other times they are only listed on one page.  

So I am just wondering what you guys think?  

I would also like to figure out the best strategy for this. In niche based service businesses, it’s my opinion that, other than the home page, those are the most important pages on the site. 

I have a blog, and I have a lot of good content, but most of that traffic is from people outside my service area. Them calling me all day is a take away, not an add. I will admit that one of my blog post does get pretty regular leads and it has nothing to do with my area target. The rest get zilch.

Right now, I link out to the community pages on my home page and I have those pages linking back and forth on the community pages. This was done by an SEO that I was using. I don’t think I had one SERP improvement in 8 months, so I don’t have any confidence that mine is right. 

Ive been thinking of putting them in the footer, but I’m too much of a wuss to try it.

3 hours ago, Robert Broome said:

I would also like to figure out the best strategy for this. In niche based service businesses, it’s my opinion that, other than the home page, those are the most important pages on the site. 

I have a blog, and I have a lot of good content, but most of that traffic is from people outside my service area. Them calling me all day is a take away, not an add. I will admit that one of my blog post does get pretty regular leads and it has nothing to do with my area target. The rest get zilch.

Right now, I link out to the community pages on my home page and I have those pages linking back and forth on the community pages. This was done by an SEO that I was using. I don’t think I had one SERP improvement in 8 months, so I don’t have any confidence that mine is right. 

Ive been thinking of putting them in the footer, but I’m too much of a wuss to try it.

Maybe hide your phone number on your web pages from traffic until after they select a zip code from the areas you service. Have one option on the zip code list for "I don't see my zip code", this way you can still track the data, maybe even route the unwanted calls to an answering service or voicemail instead of your direct phone number.

I prefer to have one page with all the locations versus having a bunch of links in the footer or the menu.

This is an example I've used in the private forum area. Ignore the web design itself. It's kind of ugly.

http://www.robertreeveslaw.com/locations/

They have actually changed it a little bit. Previously they had just the menu option for "Meeting Locations". Now it has a drop down highlighting two areas that I am guessing are a priority for their business. If you go to just the meeting locations section though (the link above), it takes you to a list of locations that you can click on from there.

I think this is the best way to do it. If they put all of these locations in the footer of every page or in the menu, that is a lot of links to add to each page which is going to dilute the link strength of all of their internal links.

On 2/15/2018 at 8:10 AM, Mike Friedman said:

I prefer to have one page with all the locations versus having a bunch of links in the footer or the menu.

This is an example I've used in the private forum area. Ignore the web design itself. It's kind of ugly.

http://www.robertreeveslaw.com/locations/

They have actually changed it a little bit. Previously they had just the menu option for "Meeting Locations". Now it has a drop down highlighting two areas that I am guessing are a priority for their business. If you go to just the meeting locations section though (the link above), it takes you to a list of locations that you can click on from there.

I think this is the best way to do it. If they put all of these locations in the footer of every page or in the menu, that is a lot of links to add to each page which is going to dilute the link strength of all of their internal links.

I see that sidebar is an iframe.

What's with all the Pinterest pins/pages on Google SERPs? I didn't look into it, just noticed a bunch of listings was odd for a law site. Someone trying to bury some negative pages with fluff?

26 minutes ago, yukon said:

I see that sidebar is an iframe.

What's with all the Pinterest pins/pages on Google SERPs? I didn't look into it, just noticed a bunch of listings was odd for a law site. Someone trying to bury some negative pages with fluff, lol?

• intitle:robertreeveslaw.com -site:robertreeveslaw.com

Huh?

#thug-life

Well, I didn't say I like everything else they are doing. I just like how they are handling multiple locations. They are clearly working with a foreign marketing firm who thinks that silly crap is important. 

The iframe was probably a good idea to "hide" some links, but Google has caught onto that strategy. Not sure it is working all that well anymore.