FibreM

New Google Behaviour On Search

Trying to gauge how this will effect the SERP.

In theory this could be quite negative for positions below 1st as a user might click on position 1, hit back and then see related questions leading them to another search.

Works here... good find.

These aren't the same search queries as the suggested search phrases at the bottom of the SERPs.

Now do this...

1) Do your Google search, click an organic listing, hit the browser back button...

2) Once you're back on Google SERPs with the new suggested searches at the top of the search results, click one,  repeat the first steps and you get new and still very focused suggested search queries that again aren't at the bottom of the search page.

Notice the two underlined URLs are the same with different suggested search phrases.

sQt63US.png

Cool, the new suggested search phrases change based on each domain/page.

Keep going back and forth between the SERPs and organic listings working your way down the original search page, some of the suggested searches are changing keyword phrases.

It looks like Google is tagging domains/pages/URLs with suggested search phrases.

Thanks for the info, going to try this and see what I can find out.

Do you think this is related to Google rank brain/knowledge graph. Putting all the data it has collected about websites to use?

Doing some research on this now.

1) This works for local keywords (ex: order pizza).

2) The suggested search phrases are only on page #1. It doesn't work for page #2 or deeper into the SERPs (Tested both desktop and mobile).

3) Surprisingly, Google simply used CSS (display:none) to hide all the new suggested keyword phrases. All the new suggested phrase keywords are in the plain HTML of the original search, you don't even have to click any organic listings and go back to the SERPs.

Might build a scraper for this.

4) Tested this on a local keyword (ex: order pizza) with a cell phone (Android/Chrome), it does work but adds some additional suggested search keywords to the list compared to desktop.

It would be interesting to copy/paste the new suggested keyword phrases for an exact URL/page ranked on the first page, a domain we own and then add those keywords to the ranked page, wait for a reindex and see If the page ranks for those suggested search keywords and If Google updates the suggested search for the same exact URL/page with new suggested search keywords.

My guess is the new suggested search traffic volume per keyword is presented like authority for Google Sitelinks, where the top/left (1st) keyword shown has the most authority (traffic).

The red numbers in the image below are in the exact order the keywords appear on the Google Search HTML source code. The further you move away from the first keyword the less important the following keywords become. Less important meaning lower traffic volume. AKA filler content on Google SERPs used to fill empty space and have consistent page display, like Google Sitelinks to the far right.

In the screenshot below, the keyword amazon shoes womens sandals (#6) is basically filler content and would most likely have a lot less traffic than amazon shoes nike (#2).

0ZBPUfk.png

On 2/15/2018 at 11:36 AM, yukon said:

My guess is the new suggested search traffic volume per keyword is presented like authority for Google Sitelinks, where the top/left (1st) keyword shown has the most authority (traffic).

The red numbers in the image below are in the exact order the keywords appear on the Google Search HTML source code. The further you move away from the first keyword the less important the following keywords become. Less important meaning lower traffic volume. AKA filler content on Google SERPs used to fill empty space and have consistent page display, like Google Sitelinks to the far right.

In the screenshot below, the keyword amazon shoes womens sandals (#6) is basically filler content and would most likely have a lot less traffic than amazon shoes nike (#2).

0ZBPUfk.png

I wish Google still provided keyword data in Analytics. I would love to run some tests on my own sites. I'm wondering if the keywords being shown are based on overall search volume in Google that the page is relevant to or if it is based on search volume for that particular page. In other words, are those the highest traffic keywords for that specific page? There might be other keywords that have a higher search volume, but the page is ranking at like #50, so it doesn't see any of that traffic.

Is Google saying, here are the most valuable keywords for this page right now?

Hope I'm making sense. It is still too early in the morning to think this hard.

1 hour ago, JohnHemmer said:

I wish Google still provided keyword data in Analytics. I would love to run some tests on my own sites. I'm wondering if the keywords being shown are based on overall search volume in Google that the page is relevant to or if it is based on search volume for that particular page. In other words, are those the highest traffic keywords for that specific page? There might be other keywords that have a higher search volume, but the page is ranking at like #50, so it doesn't see any of that traffic.

Is Google saying, here are the most valuable keywords for this page right now?

Hope I'm making sense. It is still too early in the morning to think this hard.

I've been researching and I'm certain Google is saying these keywords are for the exact domain/URL. The reason I say this is, search the keyword mastercard stock, Google returns keywords targeting exact domains (ex: ma stock cnn). Click the personalized related search (ma stock cnn) and it returns the same exact domain/URL (hxxp://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=MA). I've seen other examples besides the Mastercard one with similar results targeting the domain/business name.

I don't think these keywords are real time but they're recent. I've noticed some suggested keywords don't return the page/s ranked on first page of Google.

QxsSPDL.png

48 minutes ago, yukon said:

I've been researching and I'm certain Google is saying these keywords are for the exact domain/URL. The reason I say this is, search the keyword mastercard stock, Google returns keywords targeting exact domains (ex: ma stock cnn). Click the personalized related search (ma stock cnn) and it returns the same exact domain/URL (hxxp://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=MA). I've seen other examples besides the Mastercard one with similar results targeting the domain/business name.

I don't think these keywords are real time but they're recent. I've noticed some suggested keywords don't return the page/s ranked on first page of Google.

QxsSPDL.png

The keywords are definitely related to the URL. I think what John is trying to say, and I only know this because we were discussing it on Skype yesterday, is are the keywords based on overall search volume or traffic to that URL.

Is Google taking the URL, saying here is every keyword that URL ranks in the top 100 for, and then feeding us the 6 that get searched the most often?

OR

Is Google looking at those keywords and then giving us the 6 that the URL is getting the most traffic from?

Hope that clarifies what John meant a little better.

12 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

The keywords are definitely related to the URL. I think what John is trying to say, and I only know this because we were discussing it on Skype yesterday, is are the keywords based on overall search volume or traffic to that URL.

Is Google taking the URL, saying here is every keyword that URL ranks in the top 100 for, and then feeding us the 6 that get searched the most often?

OR

Is Google looking at those keywords and then giving us the 6 that the URL is getting the most traffic from?

Hope that clarifies what John meant a little better.

So far I think Google is saying this person (X) searched for ma stock cnn and also searched for cnn money visa (example). Basically browser history.

Maybe it's just me but I couldn't get the suggested keywords to show while running IE or Firefox, only works with Chrome.

This also works on mobile (Android/Chrome)  and returns extremely GEO located suggested searches.

Example If you search buy house and use a nearby town, not the town you're actually located (ex: buy house [nearby town]), Google will include suggested searches per some ranked organic listings for your exact location/town.

Works the same way, click the ranked page, click the back button on the browser.

19 minutes ago, Alistair said:

I find it annoying.

I'm sure the majority of search traffic will never see the suggested keywords popup because most folks don't hit the browser back button to go back and repeat the same search query. Also opening a Google search result in a new browser tab (Chrome) doesn't trigger the suggested search keywords, even If you go back and refresh the SERPs.

Personally I open search results in new tabs since the invention of multiple browser tabs, it's just easier (IMO).

It looks like Google pulled the plug on this.

It's all gone on desktop, nothing in the HTML, no popups on browser back button.

Still works on mobile/chrome. I might have a trick to port mobile SERPs over to desktop and scrape the keywords. Don't want to go into details, Google probably has a Google alert and got a hit from this thread, lol. 

2 hours ago, ShayB said:

I'm still seeing the additional suggestions, but it's during my initial search, not after I click on a result and go back.

Are you using a tablet, desktop or mobile?

Well, it's working for me again on desktop/Chrome.

It's actually good they've switched it on/off/on, encouraged me to have a back up plan with mobile SERPs.