Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Robert Broome

Adwords Invalid Clicks

Recommended Posts

I own a local garage door company. For 8 years, I’ve run an Adwords account. I’ve recently come to the conclusion that Google is not really concerned with invalid clicks and that my ad dollars would be better used in SEO or another paid ad source. 

I hired a company last year to manage my account. I was watching lead counts, but I got lazy and stopped reviewing all of the calls. To close out my year, I reviewed all of the calls. To my surprise, about 80% of the calls to my ad extensions were robo calls. 

I changed all of my ads to call only. In 15 minutes, I had 2 calls in the same minute that lasted zero seconds. I called the number back and they came from a call center or dialer. The 2 clicks cost me almost $30. I called Google and asked them to review the issue. They did nothing. 

Its not much of a loss to close the account. I’ve gotten one lead this month. There is no way this is not fraud. I got only 5 organic visits in my metro area today and I got 3 leads. Monday, I got 17 local organic visits and 6 leads. 

This account used to do well. Now, there is no way I’m getting hundreds of targeted “real” visitors a month and only converting 1. 

 

I need to find an alternative. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Web Hosting

On 2/15/2018 at 8:44 PM, Robert Broome said:

I own a local garage door company. For 8 years, I’ve run an Adwords account. I’ve recently come to the conclusion that Google is not really concerned with invalid clicks and that my ad dollars would be better used in SEO or another paid ad source. 

I hired a company last year to manage my account. I was watching lead counts, but I got lazy and stopped reviewing all of the calls. To close out my year, I reviewed all of the calls. To my surprise, about 80% of the calls to my ad extensions were robo calls. 

I changed all of my ads to call only. In 15 minutes, I had 2 calls in the same minute that lasted zero seconds. I called the number back and they came from a call center or dialer. The 2 clicks cost me almost $30. I called Google and asked them to review the issue. They did nothing. 

Its not much of a loss to close the account. I’ve gotten one lead this month. There is no way this is not fraud. I got only 5 organic visits in my metro area today and I got 3 leads. Monday, I got 17 local organic visits and 6 leads. 

This account used to do well. Now, there is no way I’m getting hundreds of targeted “real” visitors a month and only converting 1. 

 

I need to find an alternative. 

 

 

Hey Robert. Have you tried running the ads without the call extension to see what happens? 

I would guess the robocalls are coming from some sort of lead generation service for contractors trying to pitch you. I can't imagine what other type of service would be sending robocalls to a business like yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2018 at 10:54 AM, Mike Friedman said:

 

Hey Robert. Have you tried running the ads without the call extension to see what happens? 

I would guess the robocalls are coming from some sort of lead generation service for contractors trying to pitch you. I can't imagine what other type of service would be sending robocalls to a business like yours.

Mike, I removed the call extensions, and I still was not able to convert any leads. I think my site is better than it's ever been, but it will not convert. I got a whopping 3 leads in 2 months. My leads are half of what they once were despite building a far better site and spent money on SEO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2018 at 5:32 PM, Robert Broome said:

Mike, I removed the call extensions, and I still was not able to convert any leads. I think my site is better than it's ever been, but it will not convert. I got a whopping 3 leads in 2 months. My leads are half of what they once were despite building a far better site and spent money on SEO. 

That is odd. 

I know you had someone else running the account for awhile. It might be worthwhile to go back through the changelog in AdWords from when they took over. You might find a couple things that they adjusted which caused your lead generation to drop so drastically. It could be the bidding strategy, keywords or negative keywords, ad changes, targeting, or a combination of several things.

It's just strange for a campaign to go from generating leads/sales, to generating almost nothing. I'm not sure I would go as far as reversing everything they did, but if you are not generating anything anyhow, it might not hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2018 at 1:35 PM, Mike Friedman said:

That is odd. 

I know you had someone else running the account for awhile. It might be worthwhile to go back through the changelog in AdWords from when they took over. You might find a couple things that they adjusted which caused your lead generation to drop so drastically. It could be the bidding strategy, keywords or negative keywords, ad changes, targeting, or a combination of several things.

It's just strange for a campaign to go from generating leads/sales, to generating almost nothing. I'm not sure I would go as far as reversing everything they did, but if you are not generating anything anyhow, it might not hurt.

Thanks, Mike. I have tried everything I know. I looked at the campaigns, and I'm baffled. I get clicks, but nothing converts. When I look in my analytics, most of these people don't stay on the site long enough for the page to load. I've gotten 1 lead in the past 30 days. One thing I did was go in and exclude every state and country outside of my service area because I kept finding search terms for cities all over the country. It was like cutting off the faucet. I didn't always have tracking in place to let me know which leads were from organic and which were paid. We counted them all as online. My call tracking now let's me know down to the landing page and keyword. It's an eye opener.  I'm starting to suspect that I overestimated the impact of my PPC ability in the past. I've lost an incredible amount of ground to competitors in organic traffic. I have no clue of how to make up that ground. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Robert Broome said:

Thanks, Mike. I have tried everything I know. I looked at the campaigns, and I'm baffled. I get clicks, but nothing converts. When I look in my analytics, most of these people don't stay on the site long enough for the page to load. I've gotten 1 lead in the past 30 days. One thing I did was go in and exclude every state and country outside of my service area because I kept finding search terms for cities all over the country. It was like cutting off the faucet. I didn't always have tracking in place to let me know which leads were from organic and which were paid. We counted them all as online. My call tracking now let's me know down to the landing page and keyword. It's an eye opener.  I'm starting to suspect that I overestimated the impact of my PPC ability in the past. I've lost an incredible amount of ground to competitors in organic traffic. I have no clue of how to make up that ground. 

 

Something you said there made me think of something. Are you (or were you) bidding on mostly broad and phrase match keywords? And if so, were you (or the agency) staying on top of the negative keyword list?

I know from past conversations you were throwing a good bit of money at AdWords. It is just really odd to get nothing out of it like you have been. There has to be something wrong with how the campaign is set up, or maybe the tracking.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike Friedman said:

 

Something you said there made me think of something. Are you (or were you) bidding on mostly broad and phrase match keywords? And if so, were you (or the agency) staying on top of the negative keyword list?

I know from past conversations you were throwing a good bit of money at AdWords. It is just really odd to get nothing out of it like you have been. There has to be something wrong with how the campaign is set up, or maybe the tracking.

 

At one time, I was spending $4-5k a month. I've spent as much as $7800. The only way that I could get my spend up was to run phrase and broad match with a lot of negatives. When I do that now, I can easily spend $150+ a day, but I don't get any leads. My campaigns now are a lot of long tail phrase match, but I just don't get a lot of traffic. I've gotten 4 clicks today, spent $18 and no leads. I should most likely start searching for someone to hire. Seems I can’t see the trees for the forest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.